Density Advice For A System (7 Words)

jc426

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Read through the forum and couldn't find anything on these.

Going through the process of ordering my first system, and wanted to ask about density. I have plenty of hair on the sides, so am able to judge how dense my normal hair is, and decided medium density 60-65% (Toplace) is probably the best option, as I have pretty thick hair normally. Or should I be aiming for less density? I understand with a first piece there's a learning curve, but I would like to get as much right as possible.

Had another couple of quick questions. How often do people get their natural hair cut, when wearing a system? I read people saying they do it themselves, but isn't cutting your own hair incredibly difficult?

Finally, probably a daft question, but just so I'm sure. Hair pieces don't degrade when not in use? I work from home, so will often go several days without needing to wear my piece. At least until I meet my hot new girlfriend with my new found confidence, of course :p

Noah

Reaction score
Hard to advise you on density without knowing what you look like (duh!). Probably best to tell your supplier what you've got and what you're aiming for, and take his advice.

I trim my own biohair with a vacuum cutter, which is a pretty popular solution. With the current trend for undercut styles it's really easy - the lower (bio-) hair is cropped short and simply, and all the density and styling is on the upper (system) hair.

No, systems don't deteriorate when not in use.

jc426

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, excellent response, as always.

Never heard of a vacuum cutter. I have a clipper, which I guess is all you would need for the kind of style you mentioned. I might start with that kind of style, to keep things simple. Long term it's unlikely, always a big turn off for me to follow ''popular'' things, be it television, fashion or fake hair styling.

shookwun

Reaction score
It's always better to go with lighter densities, and work your way up if needed. Which is relative to your native hair on the back, and sides.

Go with either extra light or light density.

problem with high density systems is when your native hair grows out, texture, color, and wave differences can be very apparent.