Decided I'm going the hairsystem route after meds..(maybe)

Cassin

Reaction score
Decided this yesterday for when my meds can no longer hold back hair loss should no other way to fight hairloss come along (which is looking likely).

I have been holding strong for about 7 1/2 years now and my treatments could last another 6 months or maybe another 10 years...who knows?

My reason for a hair system post treatments is as follows....

- hair transplant's don't appeal to me at this time. I have seem to many shoddy jobs and I have seen too few that look good. Also I don't want to damage my scalp should a better hair transplant technique ever present itself down the road.

- I can't shave my head I don't think. I can't tan very well and I don't have a great shaped head. I really wish I could just shave it and be done with it but that's just not possible.

- Advances in hair systems are pretty incredible. As long as you don't go for a perfect hairline, which is a huge mistake most go for, they can look pretty darn good. If you can handle a receded Norwood - 2 or 3 look you're good to go.

Hair systems suck but for some people they are simply the best option....

sigh............

:/

Boondock

Reaction score
Re: Decided I'm going the hairsystem route after meds..

This is similar to my thoughts on the topic.

I think we've seen a fairly big thought-change regarding systems in the last year or so on the boards. Some people have been getting some legitimately good results.

Personally, my thinking is that it's at least worth trying one. For myself, I am at a stage where I could fairly easily get away with doing it. I want to at least see how it looks and how I can roll with it, because there's very little to lose.

I agree on hair transplants. The more I researched on them the more wary I became of them. They're incredible things, but only for the right candidate and only in the best circumstances.

Cassin

Reaction score

Thanks for the post boondock....I would love to have my mind changed but I am not holding too much hope.

Boondock

Reaction score

I'm not sure where you're at on the topic, but in my view if anyone's considering hair transplants they should at least look seriously at systems, and preferably try them (even if just in the comfort of their bathroom, to get a feel for it.)

That's basically where I'm at - not commited, but open minded.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score

Heard an interview with some young fella (23 yo) on TBT some weeks ago. He was wearing a partial front piece from TopLace, and he was absolutely loving it. His hairdresser couldn't even spot the piece even though she was aware that he was wearing it.

Great interview.

http://www.thebaldtruth.com/hair-loss/choosing-to-wear-hair-and-loving-it/

Obsidian

Reaction score

Have your treatments started sliding in the past year Cassin?

Cassin

Reaction score

Obsidian said:
Have your treatments started sliding in the past year Cassin?
No not that I can tell. But there was a few days where I thought they were which has for the first time in years really made me think about hair loss again.

emex4

Established Member
Reaction score

Cassin I am disappointed. You used to be one of the most level-headed guys on here. Now your talking about getting a wig? Madness. Just buzz the hair. I dont think I'll ever completely shave my head to the skin. Ill just leave it buzzed.

Cassin

Reaction score

emex4 said:
Cassin I am disappointed. You used to be one of the most level-headed guys on here. Now your talking about getting a wig? Madness. Just buzz the hair. I dont think I'll ever completely shave my head to the skin. Ill just leave it buzzed.

hahah......trust me my friend...I have put a lot of thought into this. While I don't like it I am at a loss about what else to do. I will simply not look good, at all, with a shaved head and I am destined to go down to the Norwood 7 so even a buzz will leave me a bowling ball.

Can't tan with an oddly shaped head....not a good combo! So as for now, this is my plan B solution. I won't go for a crazy risky toxic treatment cocktail either.

I could of course get an hair transplant but I am not even remotely comfortable with the procedures out there at this time. That could of course change one day.

But hey...who knows....maybe my treatments will last another 10 - 15 years. I am just wanting to find comfort for the day they can't keep up anymore which I need to accept may happen any day.

GeminiX

Reaction score

For what it's worth (and I know it's quite different), but now that I'm older and wiser, I think that if I could turn the clock back 10 years I would probably take a much longer look at wigs.

Many of my friends use them and the decent ones (which amazingly are only about £300) are 100% undetectable; again though it's much easier for women in this area.

Cassin

Reaction score

I just need something that gives me a simple "combed forward" Norwood 2-3 look..pretty much what I am rolling with right now.

Boondock

Reaction score

Cassin said:
But then again...I have never shaved my head down...maybe it isn't as bad as I think.

It's always worth a try if you haven't done it. Seek out the feedback of trusted confidantes, as well as your own self-opinion, if and when you do it.

It isn't for everyone, of course.

Cassin

Reaction score

Yeah I agree.

The thing is...I have been a mod here for a long time...answer a few pm's a day from people about their hair loss but I haven't thought of mine in a loooooooooong time. So maybe I am catching up on my own issues.

Boondock

Reaction score

Cassin said:
Yeah I agree.

The thing is...I have been a mod here for a long time...answer a few pm's a day from people about their hair loss but I haven't thought of mine in a loooooooooong time. So maybe I am catching up on my own issues.

To be honest man I always thought you had your sh*t pretty much together. In a way you have, with the stabilization you've achieved. But I guess we always need to think of the 'what ifs' in this situation.

Nene

Reaction score

emex4 said:

Madness??? THIS, IS, HAIRLOSSTALK.COM!!!!!! We discuss all options, not just the bald head, this isn't sly bald guys.

Cassin

Reaction score

Boondock said:
To be honest man I always thought you had your sh*t pretty much together. In a way you have, with the stabilization you've achieved. But I guess we always need to think of the 'what ifs' in this situation.

Well...you know no matter how dead set you are on something in life...from your career to hair loss...there comes a time you need to sit down and make sure you still feel the same about whatever as you used to. I never want to be static and stop thinking of new things just because "that's what I decided a few years ago"

There would be a great freedom in just shaving this head and being done with it. Hell maybe it won't be as bad as I think. It would just be nice if I at least tanned better.

I guess I sound pretty indecisive at the moment...but its healthy to re-think things from time to time.

Nene

Reaction score
Cassin, I say for now don't even give it too much thought. Your meds are still going strong and hopefully they will for another 10 years, if you stress it you just add to the chances of hair loss speeding up, lol. But seriously, I'm not against a hair system when/if you get into the upper norwoods, but I think you should give the shaved look a go first. Try it for a few months, you may learn to like it. You seem like a mature and have a relatively positive outlook. Plus by the time you need it you may be 40 years old. I'm sure that you'd find a way to adjust to the shaved look and maybe even like it. Of course if you find it unbearable then by all means try the hair system. But you can save yourself a lot of time, stress and money if you discover you like the bald look after all.

Cassin

Reaction score
Nene said:
Cassin, I say for now don't even give it too much thought. Your meds are still going strong and hopefully they will for another 10 years, if you stress it you just add to the chances of hair loss speeding up, lol. But seriously, I'm not against a hair system when/if you get into the upper norwoods, but I think you should give the shaved look a go first. Try it for a few months, you may learn to like it. You seem like a mature and have a relatively positive outlook. Plus by the time you need it you may be 40 years old. I'm sure that you'd find a way to adjust to the shaved look and maybe even like it. Of course if you find it unbearable then by all means try the hair system. But you can save yourself a lot of time, stress and money if you discover you like the bald look after all.

Very good advice thank you. And I think you're right.

Cassin

Reaction score

Nene said:
emex4 said:

Madness??? THIS, IS, HAIRLOSSTALK.COM!!!!!! We discuss all options, not just the bald head, this isn't sly bald guys.

BTW - Just for the record I have always said that those who shave their head and are comfortable with it are the ultimate success stories. There is a lot of good positive energy on that site.