David's story (24 yo)

dwp171

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

First off, I'm 24 years old, soon to be 25, and first noticed that I had quite the widows peak in high school. It's gotten significantly worse in the last few years and I've decided that now is the time to finally do something about it! I pull off the receding hairline look just fine and I'd be extremely happy just to keep my current hairline if possible. If I can stimulate new growth and improve my hairline then that would just be the icing on the cake.

I'll post some pics and what I'm hoping is to get some advice from you folks on what my first treatment plan should be (my initial assessment from reading the site is that the Big 3 is a great starting point). I don't currently use anything except for Nioxin shampoo.

Without further ado, here are my pics. Once again any advice is appreciated. I hope to keep updated with monthly pics once I get started. Looking forward to meeting you guys.

[attachment=1:1x3fni3e]12.8.2011-front.jpg[/attachment:1x3fni3e]

[attachment=0:1x3fni3e]12.8.2011-side.jpg[/attachment:1x3fni3e]

Attachments

• 12.8.2011-front.jpg
    12.8.2011-front.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 276
  • 12.8.2011-side.jpg
    12.8.2011-side.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 222

UKguy84

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you could thicken up that widows peak and your crown aswell.
Its good that your happy with the look, every guy i ever seen whose balding/bald looks fine to me including you, i guess its all in your own mind right.

The big 3 is obviously a good place to start. (yes i'm on it)
Propecia been the most important for keeping your hair, where as minoxidil will maximise any regrowth.
nizoral isnt a must, but i do use it aswell why not.

Best of luck to ya man!

mires

Reaction score
Mmyeah, your male pattern baldness is quite aggressive, you will probably be a NW5 by the time you hit 30 if you don't start treating your hair loss.

The good news is that you might be able to keep your current hair and even get some regrowth if you do start on the big 3. Just remember to stick with your regimen and try not to miss any doses or topical applications.

If your scalp gets dry, itchy and/or inflamed by the Nizoral and Minoxidil you could try adding emu oil to your regimen. I have found that it works wonders when it comes to scalp health and some say that it can also promote hair growth.

Good luck!

dwp171

Reaction score
Thanks for the input all.

I started the big three on December 16. I think what I'll do is take new pics in two months (So February 16) and then likely each two months after that.

My current regimen is Nizoral two days a week (Monday & Friday), 1mg Propecia (will be the generic finasteride stuff from this site after one month) per day, and generic 5% minoxidil twice/day. Does this sound pretty solid?

dwp171

Reaction score
Quick update:

About one month in here. Going strong, although I've missed a few minoxidil applications, usually in the evening; I find that it can be tough to find a time to apply it where I'll have the hour or so that it takes to dry before I go do social things. I'm fairly self conscious about the wetness on my forehead after applying it. I'm going to give the rogaine foam a shot next month and see how that goes.

The minoxidil is causing a bit of dryness and flaking around my temples but nothing too bad. I may try that emu oil suggestion if the dryness gets worse. I haven't noticed any side effects to the finasteride yet. I have not seen any extra shedding or new hairs coming in at this point.

Onward with spirit!

dwp171

Reaction score
Update with 2-month progress pics.

There is no noticeable difference to my appearance so far. I do, however, notice a thin line of baby hairs along the inside of my hairline. I'm not sure if those are new from the minoxidil or if they've always been there. You can sort of make it out in one of the pics.

My current treatment regiment is:
Rogain Foam 5% minoxidil applied to hair loss area twice/day
1mg Finasteride tablet once/day
Nizoral shampoo 3-4x/week

I notice a slight ball ache from time to time but it's nothing bad and it always goes away within a couple minutes. My junk is functioning normally and my sex drive is typical.

Attachments

• IMG_20120217_101347.jpg
    IMG_20120217_101347.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 219
  • IMG_20120213_154520smaller.jpg
    IMG_20120213_154520smaller.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 193

Man in Space

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bit early to be expecting results as you know you do have some miniaturise hair along the hairline. Hopefully those will come back to life and add a little thickness at the front. Best of luck with your medications and as you said at the very worst at least you know you can pull off the receded look

dwp171

Reaction score
Yeah I think the main trap people fall into is trying to hide it. Balding is natural and if you can avoid it or prevent it that's great, but if not then the respectable thing to do is just own it. Accept that you have a receded hairline or bald patches or whatever and just don't ever let it worry you. Girls will still find you attractive if you're confident and show that it doesn't affect you.

Medications are going fine, although I worry sometimes about finasteride and my libido. I believe I'm noticing a decrease in morning erections / erections in general, which isn't a huge deal since they can be an annoyance anyway, but it's slightly scary to me to have the finasteride actually be affecting me like that. I'm planning to research some libido increasing supplements (I've heard coconut oil? I haven't really had a chance to read about it yet so I'm not sure). Anyone have recommendations or thoughts?

Man in Space

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dwp171 said:
Balding is natural and if you can avoid it or prevent it that's great, but if not then the respectable thing to do is just own it. Accept that you have a receded hairline or bald patches or whatever and just don't ever let it worry you. Girls will still find you attractive if you're confident and show that it doesn't affect you.

Definately, girls will still find you attractive, it suits you, :punk: not me however!

You are right of course, once its obvious i will be cutting it off, im just trying to hold it off as long as possible as ive buzzed it before and it does not suit!

dwp171

Reaction score
Yeah I've buzzed before and I don't think it looked great on me either. I'm going to try again soon and maybe get some other opinions, though, because for some reason it is really hard to judge how good my own head looks.

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow, you said you are 24, and on first two pics you look like a 44.
What can male pattern baldness do to a nice, young guy.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
That's one fucked up comment man. :thumbdown2:

Yes, your hairloss looks aggressive, but if you haven't tried treatments, give them a try. They might work for you. Nobody knows unless you try man.

Man in Space

Experienced Member
Reaction score
dwp171 said:
Yeah I've buzzed before and I don't think it looked great on me either. I'm going to try again soon and maybe get some other opinions, though, because for some reason it is really hard to judge how good my own head looks.

Well now woud be a good time to do it if you were going to try as it makes applying the meds that bit easier, ensuring its getting to the scalp but mainly it makes it much easier to determine your gains in photos.

From your facial structure id say id say there is every reason to suspect it would suit, if you do the usual and get a bit of sun on you as well you may find you own it!

mrfifs

Reaction score
All i can do is to wish you good luck dude!
lets fight this battle.

Tyler_Durden

Established Member
Reaction score
gascoigne said:

You're no Mona Lisa yourself pal, you look like an uglier, balder version of Seth Rogan.

Keep your comments to yourself in the future.

afrik123

Reaction score
:bravo:
Tyler_Durden said:
gascoigne said:

You're no Mona Lisa yourself pal, you look like an uglier, balder version of Seth Rogan.

Keep your comments to yourself in the future.

:bravo: Agreed. This forum is designed to provide support and gain knowledge inorder to fight male pattern baldness. Keep your negative comments to yourself.

dwp171

Reaction score
Wow, you all rock! I don't think gascoigne meant anything bad by it, and after all it's important to get the truth, but the supportive comments really make this process a hell of a lot easier to go through.

As a quick little question: has anyone had any experience with using the Nioxin products to give hair a fuller/thicker appearance? In addition to the receding hairline my hair has always been very thin so I'm definitely into something that would thicken it up everywhere and I'm thinking about grabbing some to give it a shot. This would be used in addition to my regular regimen (finasteride/minoxidil/nizoral).

Man in Space

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Never used it so cant help you on that particular product but I do personally swear by Jason thin to thick shampoo, so I can testify that thickening shampoos do make a discernable cosmetic difference

Michael84

Established Member
Reaction score
dwp171 said:
Wow, you all rock! I don't think gascoigne meant anything bad by it, and after all it's important to get the truth, but the supportive comments really make this process a hell of a lot easier to go through.

Gascoigne is just a local troll. Don't pay attention. Every good forum must have at least 1 troll.

K

Kirby

Michael84 said:
Gascoigne is just a local troll. Don't pay attention. Every good forum must have at least 1 troll.
We seem to have several (dozen) forums' worth of trolls. :(