Dangers of nano-fibers (ie.Toppik)

darwin101

Reaction score
who says that Toppik has nano fibers? do you know how small "nano" is?

First off, awesome profile pic.

Second, I know because it is advertised as such. Same with Nanogen -- hence the 'nano' in nanogen. This is all sounds quite dangerous to me, but I must be missing something because no one seems concerned about this topic, at least judging by the lack of replies.

temp28

Reaction score
i think they call it nano because it sounds good...that's all. You aren't even able to see a particle mesuring less than 200nm with an optical microscope , this would make them 1) expensive to manufacture 2) too small to stick to hair .........and if you look at the fibers they can clearly be distinguished so I'm pretty sure Toppik has nothing to do with the real nano-technology

darwin101

Reaction score
Can anyone else confirm or deny this? I've read that nanotechnology is used in consumer products, so I'm sure hair concealers would fall under that umbrella. The silence on this is a little disturbing considering how serious it may be...

azuri

Established Member
Reaction score
cant confirm or deny but i would seriously not discount the threat imposed for long term users.

One thing is for sure, nearly ALL USERS will inhale some of the fibres on every use even if they feel they havent, so your lungs will be exposed to it sooner or later.

darwin101

Reaction score
cant confirm or deny but i would seriously not discount the threat imposed for long term users.

One thing is for sure, nearly ALL USERS will inhale some of the fibres on every use even if they feel they havent, so your lungs will be exposed to it sooner or later.

This is my concern certainly.

Can anyone with scientific knowledge add to this discussion, please?

mashang

Established Member
Reaction score
you will inhale Toppik for sure , just try blowing your nose after application you can see fibres, but as for the safety of the fibres i cant help you there...

darwin101

Reaction score
You inhale dust every day, I can't see the fibres being any worse than regular dust to be honest.

Scientists are certainly noticing a difference it appears. Read the article I originally posted. Due to their miniscule size, nanofibers have to potential to cause all sorts of problems. When you read that they have properties and similar effects to that of asbestos, it's a bit scary.

I'm shocked at the lack of reaction by people around here to be honest.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
the article doesn't mention anything to do with the fibers we put on our hair. If you're concerned why not write an email to the makers of Nanogen and Toppik and ask for their opinions?

beaner

Reaction score
True nano-fibers are microscopic. I don't think Toppik uses these.......

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think accelerating hair loss is more realistic to be honest.
I'm convinced it's speeded up hair loss using these fibres every day

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, you're right, but it also depends in which country the hat was made. I hear Belgium has the worst and most reported cases

healthiskey

Reaction score
Risks

Can anyone else confirm or deny this? I've read that nanotechnology is used in consumer products, so I'm sure hair concealers would fall under that umbrella. The silence on this is a little disturbing considering how serious it may be...

Hi Darwin 101,
I've just read your concerns re nano fibres and I'm a bit concerned too. I've just been educating myself on toxins etc. generally and things to avoid having in the home and in shampoos etc e.g. SLS. However, I hadn't thought of nanogen nanofibres as being a risk area. However, having read the article you or someone on here posted http://biomednews.org/tag/nanofibers/#sthash.cWzAtGJ1.dpbs and this one http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19355196 I am slightly worried. I don't know if these are the same fibres in nanogen etc. or not but if they are what can we do if we stop using them? I can't think of something to give the confidence that this does but at the same time health and possibly worst case scenario, life isn't worth it, but being worried about looks what else can one do that's totally organic and natural? I've heard of caboki today by readying their product post claiming to be natural but I don't know if this would be any less risky. This is all speculation and I'm not making any allegations of any sort, I just know that like with cigarettes for years they seemed OK to the public and then real problems came out. I don't want this to happen with these fibres as many use them daily. What do people think? Who can we approach about this or are there any alternatives and/or precautions we can take when using them, e.g. a mask over our mouths if it's inhalation that's the issue (bit out of the box and something that just popped into my head and would look daft doing it but is it maybe worth it or is it over the top)?
Thanks and best wishes to all.
Healthiskey.

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
I just know that like with cigarettes for years they seemed OK to the public and then real problems came out.

What's wrong with cigarettes??!

Just kidding.;)

I use a mask as well when I apply Prothik. But even with that, I still get black stuff in my nose.
Oh well, I am probably going to go to a hairpiece soon anyway. Then I can worry about the cancer-causing properties in some of the glues.

I think maybe one suggestion I could make when using fibers is, spray a little hairspray on your hair before you add the fibers. I think that might "capture" more of the fibers that might fall out of your hair when applying(it also helps the fibers actually stick in your hair to make it seem thicker like they are supposed to). That, and use one of the sprayer tops like Toppik has. Then you can direct the fibers better and I think you use less because you are not just randomly shaking them all over the place; losing a bunch off of your head in the process.

The1234

Reaction score
I've wondered about this too. Sometimes I can see the fibers lightly coating the sink after I apply even a little. It worries me and I've started holding my breath when I use the stuff (I use Caboki). A surgical mask is probably a better idea.

But I also know that living in a major city I probably inhale a lot more crap than just these fibers. Dust, smog, tire debris are just a few of the things I am exposed to just by living where I do. Those things are not good for you, but they are also not as dangerous as the nanofibers in the articles above. So I think we need more information from the companies that make these concealors before we make a conclusion. Has anyone reached out to Toppik or the other companies?

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
Hairloss nanofibres are made of keratin I think - the same stuff as our hair. Breathing in a few is unlikely to hurt. If they were dangerous they wouldn't be allowed to be sold - especially by prominent manufacturers like nanogen

unless you're dumping asbestos fibres on your hair, I wouldn't worry. Hairloss Nanofibres aren't microscopic - not even close. They're not small enough to disrupt genes/DNA. The makers called them nano because it sounds cool, but they're not really nano.