Cutting The Base Of A Hair System Down To Size Yourself?

Stubble

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been growing my hair out this last while so I can send it out to LordHair and get the colour matched. Now that that is done, I'm ready to order one of their stock hair systems. On their website, they offer a service where they will cut the base down to size for you. You can opt into it as you order their systems like so:

tChLk3O.jpg

I would be interested in opting into this service, however, I really can't imagine them doing a very good job of it - The 2 measurements they are asking for don't really take much into account i.e. the depth of the head. And if I give a measurement that is off-centred a little bit, it would render the whole system useless.

Instead, I've got my own hair template and a sytrofoam head here and I think I would prefer to make an attempt at cutting the base down to size myself. I would turn my hair system inside-out, place my hair template over the top of the stock system, place both of them onto the styrofoam head, draw around where the hair template sits on the system and then cut around the freshly-drawn outline with scissors.

Currently I haven't shaved my head, so if I end up messing up the outline on the system a little bit, it's not such a problem as I can just place the system on my head and shave around it, instead of placing the hair template on my head and shaving around that.

Preferably, I'd be doing this on a 0.03mm poly system, but as they are out of stock, I am ordering a 0.08mm poly system instead and doing it on that. Is it safe to say a 0.08mm poly system can be cut easily with scissors?

Please could I get your opinions on this whole idea? Does anyone have any experience doing this? Or any tips?

Thanks, guys.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Stubble - I agree. I don't see how you could properly cut the stock system down to size just from 2 dimensions. Your idea of cutting it from your template is much better. I have 2 tips for you when you do this:

First, don't cut away the factory-made hairline. If it is a decently made system the hairline will have been knotted with different knots, and a gradually increasing density, both to achieve a natural look. So put the hairline of your template up against the hairline of the system, and do the trimming off the other 3 sides, leaving the factory hairline intact. The hairline contour of the hairpiece and the hairline contour of the system probably won't be a perfect match, but just do the best alignment you can.

Second, when you start cutting the excess material off the base, it is important that you cut only the base, and not the hairs. So do the cutting slowly and in small increments. A sharp pair of nail scissors is perfect, or some people use a craft knife. For each cut, move the hairs out of the way, so that you are only cutting the base material.

Before you start, try your template on again, and make sure that it still fits.

Good luck.

Noah

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just go w the standard 8x10 for ease. It's bigger than my bald spot, but big deal. I like system hair more than my natural, curly junk which I just keep buzzed.

Stubble

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Stubble - I agree. I don't see how you could properly cut the stock system down to size just from 2 dimensions. Your idea of cutting it from your template is much better. I have 2 tips for you when you do this:

First, don't cut away the factory-made hairline. If it is a decently made system the hairline will have been knotted with different knots, and a gradually increasing density, both to achieve a natural look. So put the hairline of your template up against the hairline of the system, and do the trimming off the other 3 sides, leaving the factory hairline intact. The hairline contour of the hairpiece and the hairline contour of the system probably won't be a perfect match, but just do the best alignment you can.

Second, when you start cutting the excess material off the base, it is important that you cut only the base, and not the hairs. So do the cutting slowly and in small increments. A sharp pair of nail scissors is perfect, or some people use a craft knife. For each cut, move the hairs out of the way, so that you are only cutting the base material.

Before you start, try your template on again, and make sure that it still fits.

Good luck.

Noah

Yeah, my priority is definitely keeping the factory hairline intact, definitely won't be messing around with it and trying to make changes to it. It is a staggered hairline, so I don't even want to a imagine how unnatural it would look if I cut the staggered part away lol.

I'm thinking of just following this video as closely as possible and if scissors aren't working, I'll definitely give your craft knife idea a go.

Thanks again!

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used to have Lord cut my pieces to match the size of the original piece I got at a salon.

Honestly, I think they were so stupid that they were cutting out the hairline, because once I switched to their 8x10, I noticed Lord does a pretty nice hairline. It's shaped nicely & it is, as you say, staggered.

Stubble

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just go w the standard 8x10 for ease. It's bigger than my bald spot, but big deal. I like system hair more than my natural, curly junk which I just keep buzzed.
I imagine that saves you a lot of hassle, nice one. I'm definitely gonna at least just place it on my head and see if I could get away with wearing it with the 8" x 10" base size. Would be super stoked if I could get away with it, but I'm prepared in case that doesn't work too. Thanks!

I used to have Lord cut my pieces to match the size of the original piece I got at a salon.

Honestly, I think they were so stupid that they were cutting out the hairline, because once I switched to their 8x10, I noticed Lord does a pretty nice hairline. It's shaped nicely & it is, as you say, staggered.

Wow, I'm surprised they'd willingly cut away their own hairlines off their system. Always thought the priority would be to keep the hairline for the client and cut base size from the other 3 sides. Definitely glad I'm doing this myself instead of getting them to do it now.

What do you think of LordHair's systems? Which type did you wear? How was the quality? And did they last longer than they were touted to (I hear they can last like 3x as long as they should if you treat them right)?

Thanks!

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lord's the best hair I've personally gotten. Each time it's been the S7 model.

The company is careless in many ways. It sounds ridiculous that they'd cut away at their hairline, but I'm rather sure the two pieces I cut pre-cut didn't have the single-knotted, less dense hairlines that come with their 8x10s. I also got their stock haircuts two or three times. I loved the cut the first time, but there was little consistency on subsequent orders.

It's very easy to rock an 8x10. I think I was ordering 6x7.5 before so it's a big difference.

I just like the 8x10 more. It sits on the head more easily, acting like a cap; and it makes maintenance incredibly easy. Just make sure to get a good haircut. The woman I go to is FANTASTIC, and I was the first - and only - hair piece wearer she's had!

Regarding the hair quality, I used to think it was bad because I'd get my hair tangled and matted often & lose a piece rapidly (never made it a month with Lord).

After switching suppliers, I was no longer having problems, and then, boom, the other day, I got tangled up while aggressively styling my hair while it was wet.

Stubble

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lord's the best hair I've personally gotten. Each time it's been the S7 model.

The company is careless in many ways. It sounds ridiculous that they'd cut away at their hairline, but I'm rather sure the two pieces I cut pre-cut didn't have the single-knotted, less dense hairlines that come with their 8x10s. I also got their stock haircuts two or three times. I loved the cut the first time, but there was little consistency on subsequent orders.

It's very easy to rock an 8x10. I think I was ordering 6x7.5 before so it's a big difference.

I just like the 8x10 more. It sits on the head more easily, acting like a cap; and it makes maintenance incredibly easy. Just make sure to get a good haircut. The woman I go to is FANTASTIC, and I was the first - and only - hair piece wearer she's had!

Regarding the hair quality, I used to think it was bad because I'd get my hair tangled and matted often & lose a piece rapidly (never made it a month with Lord).

After switching suppliers, I was no longer having problems, and then, boom, the other day, I got tangled up while aggressively styling my hair while it was wet.

Ah yes, the full French lace one? For the last few months I've been set on doing the opposite - Full bond with a Poly system, but hearing about how much tougher the clean up is, sort of makes me think twice. Going to do some serious research in the coming days.

Luckily, I have a barber who's very hair loss-friendly - he's comfortable with giving haircuts to people who wear systems (although he doesn't put them onto clients sadly), so I think I'm in good hands as far as haircuts go, thankfully.

Yeah, I've obviously not got my hands on a LordHair system yet, but they definitely haven't been great with replying to emails sadly. Surprised you say you didn't manage to get a month out of any of their systems, but I'll stay hopeful for now.

Thanks.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah yes, the full French lace one? For the last few months I've been set on doing the opposite - Full bond with a Poly system, but hearing about how much tougher the clean up is, sort of makes me think twice. Going to do some serious research in the coming days.

Luckily, I have a barber who's very hair loss-friendly - he's comfortable with giving haircuts to people who wear systems (although he doesn't put them onto clients sadly), so I think I'm in good hands as far as haircuts go, thankfully.

Yeah, I've obviously not got my hands on a LordHair system yet, but they definitely haven't been great with replying to emails sadly. Surprised you say you didn't manage to get a month out of any of their systems, but I'll stay hopeful for now.

Thanks.

I think it was due to abuse on my part. My first system I worked till it ripped. Did everything in it, including swimming & frequent showering and washing.

Nothing ever happened to it, so I thought I knew what I was doing. Unfortunately, I ruined a lot of pieces by ripping them off my head in the middle of the night while feeling hot and sweating...I went through several Lords then switched to a different supplier. Things went very smoothly for months, confirming my belief Lord sold faulty hair, but I destroyed 2 pieces during washups.

I've never had a problem w a piece whose hair was dry. The same issue has ruined all my toupees & that's overaggressive washing. In the process, hairs become badly, badly tangled to the point of unusability.

I only condition my hair now. I feel there's no need for shampoo, which only dries & fades the piece. Conditioner is sufficiently cleansing.

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
I buy stock systems from LH. You can send them a template and they will cut it to fit that size. There is an option to pay for it when you order, but you will need to email them to tell them to cut according to your template - just make sure the template is with them before you order. They do a courier service that comes to your door to collect the template for £40.

Just don't get them to cut the hair for you. That's a waste of time and money.

Are you anywhere near London? I can recommend a stylist who will cut your base for you if the above does not suit.

Stubble

My Regimen
Reaction score
I buy stock systems from LH. You can send them a template and they will cut it to fit that size. There is an option to pay for it when you order, but you will need to email them to tell them to cut according to your template - just make sure the template is with them before you order. They do a courier service that comes to your door to collect the template for £40.

Just don't get them to cut the hair for you. That's a waste of time and money.

Are you anywhere near London? I can recommend a stylist who will cut your base for you if the above does not suit.
Thanks for the info. In that case, I definitely think I'll cut it to size myself. I've been emailing about various things but they're not too quick to reply sometimes. Also, I ordered a stock system colour wheel and that cost me 60 quid (including postage), so I think I'd like to just move ahead with this.

Yeah, I'd heard that when you ask them to cut the hair, it's a bit hit or miss. I already have a hairdresser who's happy to cut hairstyles into hair systems thankfully.

I live in Northern Ireland. There is one place that installs systems, but they only install systems that are bought from their own store sadly. Thanks anyway.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I really can't imagine how "difficult" getting glue residue off of poly would be given possession of the right tools.

I couldn't get it off w 99% alcohol, soap, shampoo etc., w/ any level of ease. It was a b**ch.

Now I have C22 and that removes glue like nobody's business. I'd previously tried mineral oil, vaseline, coconut oil, etc - C22 is a different animal despite being just some oily formula...

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
Happy I found this thread. I am attempting to cut in my first ever lace piece from Northwest Lace. I am confused becasue there appears to be about an inch of completely bare lace on the front of it. I have a template I just created, and im wondering if I should be trimming the excess lace at the hairline before cutting the rest to my size. I would think the dimensions would be off pretty significantly if I size it with the template all the way at the edge and then trim back the lace later on....

Attachments

• IMG_3274.jpeg
    IMG_3274.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_3276.jpeg
    IMG_3276.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3280.jpeg
    IMG_3280.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 183

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
You trim the lace at the hairline, first. You try to get as close as possible. Then you place your template hairline to hairline, and then trim the rest,

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Happy I found this thread. I am attempting to cut in my first ever lace piece from Northwest Lace. I am confused becasue there appears to be about an inch of completely bare lace on the front of it. I have a template I just created, and im wondering if I should be trimming the excess lace at the hairline before cutting the rest to my size. I would think the dimensions would be off pretty significantly if I size it with the template all the way at the edge and then trim back the lace later on....
Nice hairline in the pic with face. I see your template has a pronounced V shape in front, which would involve cutting frontal sides... consider using the hair piece contour to keep that gradual hairline ( keep the current front shape of hairpiece, but obviously cut the empty lace part)

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys , i have a question about cutting your base.... i normally only use full swiss or full french lace and have no problem cutting the base from my template. HOWEVER not that we have this covid sh*t and finding a full swiss or french lace in the right colour and density for my liking is getting harder and harder , i have now managed to find everything right apart from the base, which is a lace ( i assume from the images ) with a PU perimeter all the way round including the hair line. i have never used this type of base before and i worry that my size that i need will not work on this base and i only need a 7" front to back and 6" side to side. the system is 10 x 8 standard. Does any one have knowledge of this type of base and if i can cut it down to my size, i am worried about messing it up and ordering something i can not use! Thank so much

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201021-115232_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201021-115232_Gallery.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 123