Cutting 5mg Finasteride Not Recommended

hollow11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm reading the recipe for the 5mg finasteride pills by Proscar, and what surprised me is that it says you should "take the medicine orally, without cutting it into pieces or crush it into dust". It also says side effects such as ED occur at about ~ 1 in 10 men (which is higher than Propecia claims but might be accurate to the amount of people complaining on this forum). At this point its pretty much common practice on this forum to cut the pills to 1.25mg, so what's your thoughts?

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Proscar is intended for prostate so probably volunteers in studies have at least 60+ years old. While propecia is for alopecia so average age in studies was much much lower. It is normal that in age 60+ more men have ED.

Last edited:

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I cut my finasteride for a year. Great results. Companies just write that sh*t for general instructions

hollow11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I cut my finasteride for a year. Great results. Companies just write that sh*t for general instructions
It just doesn't really make sense to me, other than because they might simply be trying to reduce the amount of people cutting 5mgs, because it's more profitable to sell the more expensive 1mg pills, but we're going into conspiracy theories territory at this point, lol.

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I
It just doesn't really make sense to me, other than because they might simply be trying to reduce the amount of people cutting 5mgs, because it's more profitable to sell the more expensive 1mg pills, but we're going into conspiracy theories territory at this point, lol.
It's more to do with not letting people cut the pill into little tiny amounts or into dust. They want there to be clear instructions.

It's a general instruction.