Curious If You Guys See A (negative) Difference In Hair Quality

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Testosterone seems to be lacking in balding men, despite the typical DHT-Hair loss link. It probably goes deeper than that. I wanted to get tested for nutrient deficiencies and stuff like that but I think I'll do it next year because I've taken antibiotics for a full month in June, I'm pretty sure all my levels are still fucked from that.
I’ve read it’s not a lack of surplus of test it’s the ratio of test to estrogen which is difficult to quantify. I’m mainly concerned with my dht.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Blood DHT levels are more or less useless to negotiate an opinion. Serum DHT is more or less an Average of DHT. 5AR converts Test to DHT on sight, so in the follicle, in the skin, prostate etc.. Depending on the presence of which type of 5AR. Not only that but you might just have hyper sensitive receptors, inflammation etc..

As for your progress. Its only 4.5 months. They say at least a year to get a better idea on results. More or less i think it looks the same like others have said.

Have you had any sides ?

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Blood DHT levels are more or less useless to negotiate an opinion. Serum DHT is more or less an Average of DHT. 5AR converts Test to DHT on sight, so in the follicle, in the skin, prostate etc.. Depending on the presence of which type of 5AR. Not only that but you might just have hyper sensitive receptors, inflammation etc..

As for your progress. Its only 4.5 months. They say at least a year to get a better idea on results. More or less i think it looks the same like others have said.

Have you had any sides ?
No sides aside from more hair loss. If a buzz cut suited me it would be interesting to see how drastic my change actually was. Long hair covers so much thinning. As you can see in those other pics I posted, I’m thinning throughout my scalp now, and that most definitely was not the case when I started finasteride.

Are you saying that my blood DHT levels won’t be lower than average to prove that finasteride is working? Or on the other hand, if the test came back with high levels, maybe a switch to dutasteride could be beneficial?

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
No sides aside from more hair loss. If a buzz cut suited me it would be interesting to see how drastic my change actually was. Long hair covers so much thinning. As you can see in those other pics I posted, I’m thinning throughout my scalp now, and that most definitely was not the case when I started finasteride.

Are you saying that my blood DHT levels won’t be lower than average to prove that finasteride is working? Or on the other hand, if the test came back with high levels, maybe a switch to dutasteride could be beneficial?

Its often regarded as a good sign that you thin first. I started finasteride about a month ago and the shedding has been unreal. What sheds is argued to come back in thicker though so really its a waiting game.

Your blood DHT levels will give you an indication to how well finasteride is affecting your DHT assuming you had bloods done before so you can compare. And even if you didn't it'll be on the low side anyway - no surprise. finasteride inhibits 5ar2 which is what is most prevalent in follicles. Dutasteride inhibits all 3 types of 5ar however 1 and 3 aren't heavily populated in hair follicles, which probably explains why dutasteride users dont get much better results than finasteride users. I would say wait for now and re evaluate at the one year mark.

random phone charger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
CBD to the scalp should help with inflammation, considering it scientifically can reduce blood pressure.

Do bare in mind, it can be pricey in lotion form.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2828614/

Cannabinoids are potent anti-inflammatory agents and they exert their effects through induction of apoptosis, inhibition of cell proliferation, suppression of cytokine production and induction of T-regulatory cells (Tregs). In this review, we provide an in-depth description of all four different mechanisms and we further discuss the immunosuppressive properties of cannabinoids in the context of inflammatory and autoimmune disease states, triggered by cellular rather than humoral components of the immune system.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
CBD to the scalp should help with inflammation, considering it scientifically can reduce blood pressure.

Do bare in mind, it can be pricey in lotion form.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2828614/

Cannabinoids are potent anti-inflammatory agents and they exert their effects through induction of apoptosis, inhibition of cell proliferation, suppression of cytokine production and induction of T-regulatory cells (Tregs). In this review, we provide an in-depth description of all four different mechanisms and we further discuss the immunosuppressive properties of cannabinoids in the context of inflammatory and autoimmune disease states, triggered by cellular rather than humoral components of the immune system.
I think I’ll pass on the expensive CBD lotions if I can just use castor oil and aloe Vera. It’d be interesting if smoking CBD would help with inflamation in the scalp. Is there any consensus on that? I’m sure it’d help with my anxiety, so I could be killing two birds with one stone.

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You’re hairloss looks the same as mine when I first started out. The whole first year I was on propecia I thought I was losing ground I added minoxidil in on the year mark and the subsequent year was the best year of hair I had. But other than that 2nd year of hair growth I’ve thought my hair has been going to sh*t these past 5 years.

But at the end of the day my hair still looks the same 5 years later so treatments are working even though I can trick myself into thinking they’re not.

Consistency is key and btw ur hair does look like it’s improved. Maybe try a medium length hairstyle, what I’ve found is longer hair tends to exsenuate hairloss more as counter intuative as that sounds. Just keep it up and goodluck!

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@CrownBalding You know what’s hilarious, an old thread of mine back from 2015 just got bumped where I was freaking out 6months in on propecia haha.

I think it would give u comfort reading it over. What a coincidence :D

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
How much hair are you losing a day?
I think it’s slowed down a bit, I was losing like 50+ in the shower but now it’s 20-30. That’s with a hair catcher. But I still see hairs on my shirt, my sink, my bed, everywhere. It’s hard to estimate how much I’m losing but I’m sure it’s quite a bit. Only consistent way for me to tell is by my shower hairs.
I think if anything it is better definitely not worse. Could be lighting
It has most definitely gotten worse. But I’m happy that my dry hair still conceals it a bit. I’ll attach two wet hair photos. The first one was about a month or so on finasteride and the second is about 4 months I believe. You can tel in the second photo that the thinning has spread throughout my scalp more.
You’re hairloss looks the same as mine when I first started out. The whole first year I was on propecia I thought I was losing ground I added minoxidil in on the year mark and the subsequent year was the best year of hair I had. But other than that 2nd year of hair growth I’ve thought my hair has been going to sh*t these past 5 years.

But at the end of the day my hair still looks the same 5 years later so treatments are working even though I can trick myself into thinking they’re not.

Consistency is key and btw ur hair does look like it’s improved. Maybe try a medium length hairstyle, what I’ve found is longer hair tends to exsenuate hairloss more as counter intuative as that sounds. Just keep it up and goodluck!
Thanks bro, I came across your 6 month panic post and then saw you had success after. That was one of the posts that gave me a lot of motivation

Attachments

• 2BF13522-3182-4946-ACF0-B9C25799FC6C.png
    2BF13522-3182-4946-ACF0-B9C25799FC6C.png
    423.6 KB · Views: 217
  • 2B495424-9512-4739-B69D-2834E6A2DD4E.jpeg
    2B495424-9512-4739-B69D-2834E6A2DD4E.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 207

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
@CrownBalding You know what’s hilarious, an old thread of mine back from 2015 just got bumped where I was freaking out 6months in on propecia haha.

I think it would give u comfort reading it over. What a coincidence :D
Woah, talk about a coincidence. Look what I just said. That was before I read this comment lol

random phone charger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think I’ll pass on the expensive CBD lotions if I can just use castor oil and aloe Vera. It’d be interesting if smoking CBD would help with inflammation in the scalp. Is there any consensus on that? I’m sure it’d help with my anxiety, so I could be killing two birds with one stone.
Dude, I swear by it for anxiety! I have self induced social anxiety ( hairloss) & it calms me down in public settings.
My grandmother is also diabetic, and so she experiences neurotic nerve pains occasionally. When I introduced it 2 months ago to her, she now only need a half pill of her original medication, in conjunction to vaping CBD.

Do not take anxiety medication!

Word of advice is to invest into a quality vape module; Chinese ones can explode.

mine is the T-Priv by Smok 85$

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude, I swear by it for anxiety! I have self induced social anxiety ( hairloss) & it calms me down in public settings.
My grandmother is also diabetic, and so she experiences neurotic nerve pains occasionally. When I introduced it 2 months ago to her, she now only need a half pill of her original medication, in conjunction to vaping CBD.

Word of advice is to invest into a quality vape module; Chinese ones can explode.

mine is the T-Priv by Smok 85$
Yeah my friends have told me it’s great for anxiety. I may try it out, thanks man.

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
STAY ON finasteride.
MINE FINALLY KICKED IN ALMOST TWO YEARS LATER...

Or just go bald...No biggie...

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
STAY ON finasteride.
MINE FINALLY KICKED IN ALMOST TWO YEARS LATER...

Or just go bald...No biggie...
Who said I’m not staying on finasteride? Hell, I might even bump up and munch dutasteride

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You really need to tackle the inflammation. You may want to stop dermarolling until your scalp calms down. Finasteride has worked great for me so far but I do my best to keep my scalp and hair in good condition to avoid other factors from causing me to lose hairs or inhibit growth.

Some products can work differently from one person to the next but what I do is:

--- Shampoos and conditioner ---
* Avalon Organics Shampoo, Thickening, Biotin B-Complex.
* OGX Anti-Hair Fallout Niacin3 & Caffeine Shampoo and Conditioner.
I avoid harsh chemicals so I can shampoo everyday if I want. My scalp feels best when I shampoo every other day but I use conditioner everyday. I love taking hot showers, but I only use cold water to wash my hair.
* Nizoral: I use it twice a week. I've been using it for about 2 months but I may switch back to T-Gel after I finish the bottle.

--- Vitamins ---
* Nature's Truth Superior Strength Hair, Skin & Nails with 5000mcg Biotin.
I try and get a lot of protein, amino acids, vitamins and minerals naturally in the foods.

--- Hair oils ---
* Organic castor oil and/or Extra Virgin Olive oil mixed with Rosemary and Peppermint essential oils.
I leave it in my hair overnight. I do this 2 to 3 days a week. You just have to see how your scalp responds to it. My scalp gets itchy if I oil every day. I do a hot olive oil treatment a few times a month because it makes my scalp feel really good when I pour it on.

I have a very stressful life so eating healthy and exercising does help me cope even if it doesn't help with genetic hair loss.

Best wishes!

realone

My Regimen
Reaction score
maybe it is the way it's combed, but to my eye it looks like slight improvement. your hair looks a bit thicker and your 'bald' area seems to have changed shape and shrunk a tad. give it time.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
You really need to tackle the inflammation. You may want to stop dermarolling until your scalp calms down. Finasteride has worked great for me so far but I do my best to keep my scalp and hair in good condition to avoid other factors from causing me to lose hairs or inhibit growth.

Some products can work differently from one person to the next but what I do is:

--- Shampoos and conditioner ---
* Avalon Organics Shampoo, Thickening, Biotin B-Complex.
* OGX Anti-Hair Fallout Niacin3 & Caffeine Shampoo and Conditioner.
I avoid harsh chemicals so I can shampoo everyday if I want. My scalp feels best when I shampoo every other day but I use conditioner everyday. I love taking hot showers, but I only use cold water to wash my hair.
* Nizoral: I use it twice a week. I've been using it for about 2 months but I may switch back to T-Gel after I finish the bottle.

--- Vitamins ---
* Nature's Truth Superior Strength Hair, Skin & Nails with 5000mcg Biotin.
I try and get a lot of protein, amino acids, vitamins and minerals naturally in the foods.

--- Hair oils ---
* Organic castor oil and/or Extra Virgin Olive oil mixed with Rosemary and Peppermint essential oils.
I leave it in my hair overnight. I do this 2 to 3 days a week. You just have to see how your scalp responds to it. My scalp gets itchy if I oil every day. I do a hot olive oil treatment a few times a month because it makes my scalp feel really good when I pour it on.

I have a very stressful life so eating healthy and exercising does help me cope even if it doesn't help with genetic hair loss.

Best wishes!
Thanks for your advice. I just picked up some tea tree oil I plan on using. You use it 2-3 time a week? Someone told me once a month is good so it doesn’t dry out your hair.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
maybe it is the way it's combed, but to my eye it looks like slight improvement. your hair looks a bit thicker and your 'bald' area seems to have changed shape and shrunk a tad. give it time.
I appreciate it, but I believe the wet hair pics tell a different story...

Megamandix

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not sure how old are you or if last pics you've uploaded in second page is you. But if yes, what i see is your hair has got def worse. Is another reason i say stay away from Pills. Maybe they are working reversal on you? Many Doctor are clueless and just prescribe Pills. inflamation in your scalp could be natural. My cuzin's scalp been always red, Its due to her hair color. (redhead). I'd just say cut medication and just massage your scalp under the shower aggressively daily to stimulate your roots. dont worry about the hair you would shed

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not sure how old are you or if last pics you've uploaded in second page is you. But if yes, what i see is your hair has got def worse. Is another reason i say stay away from Pills. Maybe they are working reversal on you? Many Doctor are clueless and just prescribe Pills. inflamation in your scalp could be natural. My cuzin's scalp been always red, Its due to her hair color. (redhead). I'd just say cut medication and just massage your scalp under the shower aggressively daily to stimulate your roots. dont worry about the hair you would shed
I’m 22. And yes, my hair has gotten much worse. I can still kinda cover it with dry hair and toppik, but when it’s wet it’s attrocious.