Creating more donor hair on the body

Loife

My Regimen
Reaction score
Considering how far away we look to be from actually creating a 'cure' and understanding hairloss, I believe one area which should be advancing is creating suitable donor hair which can be transplanted. We know that min can create hair on parts of the body like the beard, and if Derek from MPMD is right then these beard gains (and I would guess other body hair gains) are permanent after a time even after the min is ceased. Why could we not then for lack of a better word farm hair, grow it on say the back and chest in dense patches and then transplant all this new donor to the scalp. Just an idea that seems feasible.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
The hairs will likely have a different texture and appearance, and they will only grow for a few cm.

Also I'd feel kinda weird walking around with chest and back hair stapled into my scalp.

Loife

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd suggest some body hair has closer resemblance to scalp hair than beard in texture which after time people say softens and becomes more scalp like. I do think that body to head hair transplants are going to play their part in getting enough donor numbers to give the full head look. .

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If your transplant plans won't work without body hairs then you aren't being realistic.

This is reality:

- MOST patients don't get results as good as the showoff cases. Those are cherry-picked.

- MOST patients get noticeable donor thinning eventually. The higher Norwoods usually get it worse than average.

- Body hairs cycle differently from scalp hairs. Even if you pack them densely the coverage is still crappier than scalp hairs. They are disappointing money-suckers. Leave them as a last resort in case you get into trouble.

Loife

My Regimen
Reaction score
If your transplant plans won't work without body hairs then you aren't being realistic.

This is reality:

- MOST patients don't get results as good as the showoff cases. Those are cherry-picked.

- MOST patients get noticeable donor thinning eventually. The higher Norwoods usually get it worse than average.

- Body hairs cycle differently from scalp hairs. Even if you pack them densely the coverage is still crappier than scalp hairs. They are disappointing money-suckers. Leave them as a last resort in case you get into trouble.
I think the people who aren't being realistic are the ones who want any type of full coverage from just the back of the head hair transplant, like just look at the so called 'safe zone' size then compare it to the scalp region size and it's not like you're moving every single hair either! It's just basic geometry that you need more to properly fill the space.

SAMY

My Regimen
Reaction score
is it possible to change the nature of body hair to scalp hair in the laboratory? this could be a new research approach

FollicleGuardian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do this, do a body hair transplant and then a buzzcut. Would one be able to differentiate between the native and body hair when they are cut so short?

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The other thing I wondered is over-harvesting the donor area, then implanting body hair (such as beard) in the donor zone and have an undercut haircut. And then SMP any evidence of scarring if there some.

I am missing something, otherwise people would have been doing that for years.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The other thing I wondered is over-harvesting the donor area, then implanting body hair (such as beard) in the donor zone and have an undercut haircut. And then SMP any evidence of scarring if there some.

I am missing something, otherwise people would have been doing that for years.

Implanting body hairs into an over-harvested area. That is combining less-effective grafts + previously scarred skin. It's been done for repair work but it's not very practical.

The thick-top-and-shaved-bottom hairstyle will not always be in style. This fact doesn't sink in with many younger guys here.

Larry David has a Norwood#7 all grown out & obvious. It's not because he woke up one morning and decide to look as goofy as possible. It's because of his age. His generation - his look used to be more acceptable than buzzing down short! Doesn't that seem utterly unfathomable now? And yet that's how it used to be. You used to see many older balding celebrities wearing it that way.

The thick long top + shaved lower half . . . that's very distinct look. It's definitely susceptible to going back out of style in the future. As in, it might become potentially embarrassing, unacceptable in the business world, or sending the wrong political message, etc. And these changes can happen in 10 or 15 years. It wouldn't even be unusual if it changed that fast.

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Implanting body hairs into an over-harvested area. That is combining less-effective grafts + previously scarred skin. It's been done for repair work but it's not very practical.

The thick-top-and-shaved-bottom hairstyle will not always be in style. This fact doesn't sink in with many younger guys here.

Larry David has a Norwood#7 all grown out & obvious. It's not because he woke up one morning and decide to look as goofy as possible. It's because of his age. His generation - his look used to be more acceptable than buzzing down short! Doesn't that seem utterly unfathomable now? And yet that's how it used to be. You used to see many older balding celebrities wearing it that way.

The thick long top + shaved lower half . . . that's very distinct look. It's definitely susceptible to going back out of style in the future. As in, it might become potentially embarrassing, unacceptable in the business world, or sending the wrong political message, etc. And these changes can happen in 10 or 15 years. It wouldn't even be unusual if it changed that fast.
Relax old man. People will always see 2010's Tom Hardy as a sexy symbol and panty dropper. Nobody will ever care if his hair on the sides is buzzed or slightly longer. Not in the business world, not in the women world, not in any world. Stop being overdramatic.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Relax old man. People will always see 2010's Tom Hardy as a sexy symbol and panty dropper. Nobody will ever care if his hair on the sides is buzzed or slightly longer. Not in the business world, not in the women world, not in any world. Stop being overdramatic.

Am I lying about Larry David's look having been in style at one point? Am I lying about the bad connotation of a shaved head back then?

Mullets were the peak of style in 1985 and then well on their way out by 1995. Only 10 years. Am I lying about this?

The same mens' hairstyle that was hot in 1975 would have prevented you from getting hired at a good job in 1965. Fact.

Look at what's happened with beards since 2005 (or even 2010). Look at the rapid change in public (and female) opinion there.

The long-top-shaved-sides look is distinctive. Distinctive styles are the ones that change the hardest & fastest. You may not like hearing it but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

And, the current long-top deal may be the best-looking style ON YOU . . . but culture-wide trends don't actually give a sh*t about what helps you look your best. Every time trends change, it always leaves a percentage of people frustrated because the new trend doesn't favor them like the old one did. This is normal.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
Am I lying about Larry David's look having been in style at one point? Am I lying about the bad connotation of a shaved head back then?

Mullets were the peak of style in 1985 and then well on their way out by 1995. Only 10 years. Am I lying about this?

The same mens' hairstyle that was hot in 1975 would have prevented you from getting hired at a good job in 1965. Fact.

Look at what's happened with beards since 2005 (or even 2010). Look at the rapid change in public (and female) opinion there.

The long-top-shaved-sides look is distinctive. Distinctive styles are the ones that change the hardest & fastest. You may not like hearing it but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

And, the current long-top deal may be the best-looking style ON YOU . . . but culture-wide trends don't actually give a sh*t about what helps you look your best. Every time trends change, it always leaves a percentage of people frustrated because the new trend doesn't favor them like the old one did. This is normal.
I got a potential solution: overharvest the donor area, implant body hair into the depleted donor, BUT instead of going for long top + shaved sides, just go for a neutral short haircut all over. Not ubershort, just a regular short cut, like an inch max or something.

This is just meant as a last solution, I think it should be avoided for as long as possible. And I don't think it is an ideal solution (like I wrote above, walking around with body hair implanted into your head has to be kinda weird), just to be used in last case scenario.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should email Umar about it and see what he thinks.

I am a bear. If one day they manage to make body hair grow like scalp hair, I would be a norwood -1. Alas.