Creatine

RB1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No doubt couldn't agree more, but some more than others. Creatine due specifically to the whole DHT point....

Zoro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Isn't PGE2 good for hair? Increasing it would be a good thing.

Also I never understood the hype behind creatine, tried it a while back and it didn't seem to do very much of anything, besides maybe reduce muscle fatigue very slightly during high volume workouts. I also don't eat red meat, my only source of dietary creatine is from fish.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've made the majority of my hair gains while on creatine

Also I never understood the hype behind creatine, tried it a while back and it didn't seem to do very much of anything, besides maybe reduce muscle fatigue very slightly during high volume workouts.

I feel like it's worth using for a bit of a workout boost just because of how cheap it is for a supply that lasts months

RB1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you know that for a fact? Maybe you've lost hair due to it?

I find the whole 'there has been only one study done' argument kinda weak. Just because a group hasn't taken the initiative to 'test creatine DHT on balding' doesn't by ANY means equate to there not being a correlation. It simply means there has been a lack of scientific study evidence. The fact that creatine increases DHT and that is precisely one of the causes of balding, to me, means there is a darn good chance. If one googles the two words, LOTS of info comes up pointing to the correlation. Again, not a scientific fact, but great reason to assume imo...

Last edited:

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you know that for a fact? Maybe you've lost hair due to it?

I find the whole 'there has been only one study done' argument kinda weak. Just because a group hasn't taken the initiative to 'test creatine DHT on balding' doesn't by ANY means equate to there not being a correlation. It simply means there has been a lack of scientific study evidence. The fact that creatine increases DHT and that is precisely one of the causes of balding, to me, means there is a darn good chance. If one googles the two words, LOTS of info comes up pointing to the correlation. Again, not a scientific fact, but great reason to assume imo...

You don't have a lot of info on google.

It's all links to that one flawed study.

You're seeing the same info discussed in thousands of different ways.

That's *all* of the evidence on the matter: a single flawed study.

RB1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
ok, let's look at it this way. do you think there is a 'decent chance' there is a correlation? if so, to me that's all the information that is required!!

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
ok, let's look at it this way. do you think there is a 'decent chance' there is a correlation? if so, to me that's all the information that is required!!

Do you seriously want to include every decent chance in your hair loss regimen?

OK then ...

Avoid: creatine, weight lifting, masturbation, significant protein consumption, processed carbohydrate consumption, coffee, being thin;
Indulge: Green tea, black tea, moderate alcohol intake, being overweight, soy and tofu, laminaria japonica + cistanche, saw palmetto, fenugreek, pumpkin seed oil, bee venom, rice bran oil, castor oil, intermittent fasting, general calorie restriction, iron supplements, biotin;

Good luck including all hearsay as part of your hair loss regimen !!!

RB1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
that's a slight exaggeration!! we're talking strictly DHT w. creatine.

RB1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You sound like my GP!

"Naturopathic supplements have no benefit cause there is no scientific evidence to prove it". That's BULLSHIT!

Not the exact same as what were discussing, but similar vibe!

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
You sound like my GP!

"Naturopathic supplements have no benefit cause there is no scientific evidence to prove it". That's BULLSHIT!

Not the exact same as what were discussing, but similar vibe!

Lots of things might affect your hair.

Maybe chewing gum affects your hair. Maybe aspartame affects your hair. Maybe breakfast, sleeping patterns, sleeping position, and shower temperature affect your hair.

But if there's no evidence, you shouldn't go out of your way to account for them as your burden then becomes infinite.

RB1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I understands your point, but there is ZERO reason to think that chewing gum would affect hair, for example. Masturbation - anythings possible...:eek:

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's one mediocre study associating creatine with modestly increased DHT.

However, if you're on finasteride, there is no way for creatine to increase your type-II DHT regardless.

Take creatine at will.

Once I switch from cutting to bulking, I'll start using creatine too.

Well I've used creatine many times for different periods of times, sometimes a few weeks but also for a couple months. Creatine works like a charm for me, my muscles are full, I do get a pretty big strength boost (more than the normal "you can probably do 1 rep more") and it just motivates me.
But on the downside my scalp gets very itchy. I'm 80% sure creatine is causing it. Ever since I started finasteride the itchyness on creatine decreased but it's still there.
I dropped creatine not so long ago after a couple months being on it.

This whole thing f*cks up my mind. I love working out, hard. I love the effects of creatine. But my hair is also hella important. Could working out like crazy combined with taking creatine cause hair loss? There's no real answer.

My hair continues to thin out even being on a relative high dose of finasteride. Maybe results will come soon (9,5 months on it),but I'm quite sceptical.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I've used creatine many times for different periods of times, sometimes a few weeks but also for a couple months. Creatine works like a charm for me, my muscles are full, I do get a pretty big strength boost (more than the normal "you can probably do 1 rep more") and it just motivates me.
But on the downside my scalp gets very itchy. I'm 80% sure creatine is causing it. Ever since I started finasteride the itchyness on creatine decreased but it's still there.
I dropped creatine not so long ago after a couple months being on it.

This whole thing f*cks up my mind. I love working out, hard. I love the effects of creatine. But my hair is also hella important. Could working out like crazy combined with taking creatine cause hair loss? There's no real answer.

My hair continues to thin out even being on a relative high dose of finasteride. Maybe results will come soon (9,5 months on it),but I'm quite sceptical.

Even if the study is correct, it should be impossible for creatine to increase DHT when you're on finasteride. If there's no 5ar around, then there's no 5ar around.

The itchiness might be from the increased testosterone you get from the better workouts.

What's your finasteride dose by the way?

Vesemir

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1.25mg/day for the last 9 months. I switched to 1.25mg monday/wednesday/friday only, due to puffy nips.

Even if the study is correct, it should be impossible for creatine to increase DHT when you're on finasteride. If there's no 5ar around, then there's no 5ar around.

The itchiness might be from the increased testosterone you get from the better workouts.

What's your finasteride dose by the way?

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's one mediocre study associating creatine with modestly increased DHT.

However, if you're on finasteride, there is no way for creatine to increase your type-II DHT regardless.

Take creatine at will.

Once I switch from cutting to bulking, I'll start using creatine too.
You can call it a "mediocre" study but it was a double blind study, and I wouldn't say moderately increased DHT unless an increase of 40% is moderate. Still think more studies would need to be done to determine if it actually increases DHT, but guess what, that's not going to happen because no one gives a f*** about it.

Reactions: RB1

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
You can call it a "mediocre" study but it was a double blind study, and I wouldn't say moderately increased DHT unless an increase of 40% is moderate. Still think more studies would need to be done to determine if it actually increases DHT, but guess what, that's not going to happen because no one gives a f*** about it.

There are comparable and more impressive studies showing all sorts of results related to hair. Do you implement them all? Do you take saw palmetto, which has been shown to regrown hair in much more impressive studies?

The study is of mediocre quality because it's short-term, it has a small sample size, and it looked at a small number of parameters. For example this study only looks at serum DHT, but it's DHT in the skin that has the greatest impact on your hair, and that's a separate parameter.

Further, this is a completely irrelevant increase for people taking full-dose finasteride, as their DHT will not increase.