Creatine, Working out and Hair Loss

ropcat

Established Member
Reaction score
nesta said:
My firm opinion as a medstudent is that Working out + protein supplement will increase hairloss due to extra testostorone in your serum.

Shouldn't that only be the case if there's more 5AR than there is testosterone, and some of it isn't binding to produce DHT? (Then the increase in testosterone would lead to the production of more DHT.) Is there a bunch of 5AR that doesn't bind with testosterone, that could bind with it if you're producing more testosterone?

And what if you're mopping up a good percentage of 5AR with finasteride or dutasteride? Presumably if all or most of the 5AR is already binding with testosterone to produce DHT, then there'd be none left to bind with any extra testosterone you produced working out, meaning that your testosterone levels could climb through the roof without necessarily creating more DHT.

I'm no scientist, so please comment and correct me.

G

Nesta makes claims that are never backed with hard evidence such as studies. He doesn't even make much of an attempt to explain his THEORIES. He just says that since he is a medstudent it must be true.

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
I went through an intense workout + creatine stage of my life about 5 years ago for a span of 2 years. I did not notice any increased hair loss.

male pattern baldness kicked in 6 months ago just about the time I started becoming a slob :wink: ...

G

badasshairday said:
Nesta makes claims that are never backed with hard evidence such as studies. He doesn't even make much of an attempt to explain his THEORIES. He just says that since he is a medstudent it must be true.

Where you at Nesta?

drinkrum

Reaction score
Jesus, I feel like the level of misinformation just increases daily. Let me correct a couple of the unsubstantiated claims here. First, creatine will not cause kidney damage (in fact, creatine has beneficial effects for almost all the major organ systems). Second, creatine will not cause hair loss. Third, an increase in testosterone does not always mean an increase in DHT.

Don't make me pull out the medical studies that stand by my points.

D.

DammitLetMeIn

Experienced Member
Reaction score
nesta said:
pleasehelpme said:
wtf? working out increases hair loss?

and yo screw that creatine $#iT... just use the natural methods... eat a lot protein.. and lift

i take in a lot of turkey and chicken since it is low in fat also. not that kfc, boston market $#iT though

And I bet that´s common for people losing hair - lifting weights and eating alot of protein. It hit me so hard when I saw my friend the other day - in 4 months he has put on soo much muscle (he won´t touch any steroids, also a medstudent) and lost soooo much hair. He´s one of those guys who almost look better without hair so he doesn´t mind - but still.

damn thats scary

staunch

Reaction score
Jesus, I feel like the level of misinformation just increases daily. Let me correct a couple of the unsubstantiated claims here. First, creatine will not cause kidney damage (in fact, creatine has beneficial effects for almost all the major organ systems). Second, creatine will not cause hair loss. Third, an increase in testosterone does not always mean an increase in DHT.

Don't make me pull out the medical studies that stand by my points.

D.

HELL YES *hi fives*

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
drinkrum said:
First, creatine will not cause kidney damage (in fact, creatine has beneficial effects for almost all the major organ systems).

Pretty much true except that taking too much creatine turns into a whole lot of Creatinine, which can be harmful for your kidneys. As long as you're not going crazy on the Creatine, you're fine though. I still say anything over 5g of Creatine Mono/day is crazy.