crazy idea but not so crazy: a research fund

Axel

Reaction score
Imagine this: one of us (not me) can go and meet these people and tell them they have potential research money for them if they open up and treat us as their shareholders. Christiano or other would have to put a presentation together to tell us why SHE should get the money not the Japanese or other. We can give them incentives to coordinate too. We can put a board of 10 members or more who will vote on which company will get funding.

10,000 "donors" :), 500 lifetime donation (not in a single payment of course), that is 5 million. Just an idea of the potential. But a good website and good advertising can get us up to million donor. This has been done in other areas, and opens up a world of possibilities.

If you think it is a good idea, let us know.

This is exactly how I envisioned the platform and told hellouser about it... It should be a reverse crowdfunding initiative where the community selects the projects with a voting process, and members PLEDGE their money in the projects they find more attractive... Then the companies bid for that project and associated funds. Example projects:

- Project 1: Efficacy and Security study for dermarolling + minoxidil + B12 Vitamin (Available Funds: $430.890)
- Project 2: Design for a CB13 vehicle (Available Funds: $1.230.890)
- Project 3: Donor-doubling patch test (Available Funds: $670.260)
- etc

And how is the bidding process? Well, as always is done in biz: you issue a RFP for each one of these projects and then the most promising research company proposal gets selected by the community + an experts board.

This way, the community drives the innovation...

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think we three should talk then... anyone else want to join this?

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
here is a spanish guy follower that don't know very well how help at this interesting proyect.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i had this idea but i would only really have the money to part with pennies rather than pounds

lack of funding seems to halt the trials and contrary to popular belif on these forums, male pattern baldness cures (and biotech in general) are pretty crappy investments, they take many years for a return and the time it takes for a return matters just as much if not more than the return itself

any product before phase 3 is statisitically more likely to fail than suceed mind you. nothing has made it past phase 2 and has in cases of intercytex and ARI shut due to funding reasons above all else.

fml

Established Member
Reaction score
I think this is going to go nowhere.
Here is my personal opinion, why not fully fund Kane, from thekaneshop. We trust him, if we send him a lot o money for research and development, he should be able to come out with something really fast for the consumer. Any money that goes to the private sector you can be asure that those greedy badtards will try to give themselves bonuses on it.

Is "thekaneshop" in the public sector? Or a charity?

- - - Updated - - -

Great thread. This could end up raising literally dozens of dollars for our cause. Then, all we will need to do is find an investor to give us internet anons a few million and we are on our way to...um.... Vegas?

Or to put it another way, sorry to be so negative but this thread is more delusional than the vag cream threads.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about this, the cost of hinging up such a fund would outweigh the potential fund. There would be inevitable admin costs and drafting up and measuring the standards to which rewarded companies must follow would be substantialbesides, there would also have to be funding for awareness because for this research fund to motivate people they would first have to know it exists.

as far as the big picture goes, if anything is going to cure baldness it'll be stem cells. Being more advanced in stem cell treatments in general will be an advantage to baldness. So if you really want to throw your money maybe a stem cell research charity like the uk stem cell foundation is your best bet. Science is not a zero sum game, curing paralysis with stem cells will bring us closer to curing baldness with stem cells (so will using stem cells to cure anything else). Stem cells are still an underfunded niche today.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Guys have you seen this:

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.hairlosstalk.com/hair-loss-news/article210.php

i am not sure when this was posted but here you go lazy gents, the fund has been created and all you have to do is be generous. First we need to check whether the fund is legit, butbit sounds like it.

[/FONT]

- - - Updated - - -

i think someone can represent us, maybe HairLossTalk.com, to communicate with christiano, the deal should be as follows:

-we will do as much as we can to contribute and coax others into contributing so long as her team is willing to give us quarterly updates in what theybare doing. In a year we will need pictures and so on. Even better, the rep can meet her in her lab and her team cangive him a presentation.

I don t think you guys want to miss this opportunity, if you do miss it, they you should never complain that there is not enough research. This crowdfunding is the way to go for us and other ailments that are nit receiving enough attention.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys have you seen this:

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.hairlosstalk.com/hair-loss-news/article210.php

i am not sure when this was posted but here you go lazy gents, the fund has been created and all you have to do is be generous. First we need to check whether the fund is legit, butbit sounds like it.

[/FONT]

- - - Updated - - -

i think someone can represent us, maybe HairLossTalk.com, to communicate with christiano, the deal should be as follows:

-we will do as much as we can to contribute and coax others into contributing so long as her team is willing to give us quarterly updates in what theybare doing. In a year we will need pictures and so on. Even better, the rep can meet her in her lab and her team cangive him a presentation.

I don t think you guys want to miss this opportunity, if you do miss it, they you should never complain that there is not enough research. This crowdfunding is the way to go for us and other ailments that are nit receiving enough attention.

When was that article posted??

Youcandoit

Established Member
Reaction score
How about a research fund for this.....FGF9 is what actually tells the stem cells to grow hair, in mice it is found in high quantities during wounding, in humans small quantities, what if we do a trial of derma rolling and then rubbing FGF9 into hair http://www.sinobiological.com/FGF9-Protein-g-213.html

this could be the ****ing cure.

Read up on FGF9......

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]News of the progress has attracted strong interest from the public, with comments piling up below online articles about Follica and serving as de facto message boards for the science-savvy bald community to exchange expressions of hope and skepticism—and to speculate about when the “cure” might hit the market. Earlier this year, Cotsarelis’s group sparked another comment frenzy by demonstrating that a protein called fibroblast growth factor 9 (Fgf9), which is secreted by gamma delta (γδ) T cells in the dermis, plays a key role in the formation of new follicles during wound healing in adult mice.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Very little is known about the mechanism of hair follicle neogenesis besides the Wnt family, so the discovery
of Fgf9 was very important.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]When Cotsarelis and his collaborators inhibited Fgf9, fewer new follicles formed compared to controls. And when the researchers induced overexpression of Fgf9, new follicle formation increased 2–3-fold compared with normal expression. That’s because Fgf9 initiates a feedback loop in wound fibroblasts that amplifies the signaling factors required for follicle neogenesis, explains Cotsarelis. Importantly, even when the researchers added Fgf9 to wounds in knockout mice engineered to lack γδ T cells (which are rare in humans), they observed increased Fgf9 expression in fibroblasts—and hair regeneration (Nature Medicine, 19:916-23, 2013).[/FONT]

Axel

Reaction score
It was about time... This is much needed. I think it is not the most "efficient" way of funding a project, but clearly is better then nothing! Should we get in contact with this people and tell them about our "projected" platform?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
How about a research fund for this.....FGF9 is what actually tells the stem cells to grow hair, in mice it is found in high quantities during wounding, in humans small quantities, what if we do a trial of derma rolling and then rubbing FGF9 into hair http://www.sinobiological.com/FGF9-Protein-g-213.html

this could be the ****ing cure.

Read up on FGF9......

News of the progress has attracted strong interest from the public, with comments piling up below online articles about Follica and serving as de facto message boards for the science-savvy bald community to exchange expressions of hope and skepticism—and to speculate about when the “cureâ€￾ might hit the market. Earlier this year, Cotsarelis’s group sparked another comment frenzy by demonstrating that a protein called fibroblast growth factor 9 (Fgf9), which is secreted by gamma delta (γδ) T cells in the dermis, plays a key role in the formation of new follicles during wound healing in adult mice.
Very little is known about the mechanism of hair follicle neogenesis besides the Wnt family, so the discovery
of Fgf9 was very important.

When Cotsarelis and his collaborators inhibited Fgf9, fewer new follicles formed compared to controls. And when the researchers induced overexpression of Fgf9, new follicle formation increased 2–3-fold compared with normal expression. That’s because Fgf9 initiates a feedback loop in wound fibroblasts that amplifies the signaling factors required for follicle neogenesis, explains Cotsarelis. Importantly, even when the researchers added Fgf9 to wounds in knockout mice engineered to lack γδ T cells (which are rare in humans), they observed increased Fgf9 expression in fibroblasts—and hair regeneration (Nature Medicine, 19:916-23, 2013).

Careful, the last time I suggested we look into FGF-9 I was told by Squeegee I was soliciting on this site...

However, FGF-9 may be the missing link...

Youcandoit

Established Member
Reaction score
He's the one I got the idea to research fgf-9, anyways I'm just trying to help especially if someone try's it and it happens to be the cure, but I'm thinking of trying a amino acid and supplement containing all 22 amino acids and all fatty acids, what do you think of going that route? Since our hair is made of 91% amino acids? I also read you need all 22 or other amino acids won't work, actually read that from more than one source.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Guys please don't derail the conversation.
I think the idea of us telling researchers to investigate a certain compound is a bit far fetched at the moment. It could be done but this should come as a second step, first, the easier approach, is to support existing research in exchange of more information on their progress.

Who's with me on this? We can contact HairLossTalk.com see when this was posted, and then contact that fund to see if they are legit.