Cost Of Hair Transplant For Norwood 2 To A Norwood 0/1?

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know roughly how much it would cost to go from a Norwood 2 to a Norwood 1 or even a Norwood 0?

For reference I am in my mid 20's and have been losing hair since I was 19. I have a few family members who have lost hair but none are past a Norwood 5 to my knowledge, and the ones who have made it that far are all in their late 40's or older.

I would love to have my full hairline back, but one thing I'm worried about is getting the procedure done and having a youthful hairline at an old age, do you guys think that would look a little strange since most men go to at least a NW2? Another thing I'm worried about is further loss of course, as I'm not on any treatments.

On the flip side I could wait it out a few more years and hope some new treatments hit the market but the way it's looking that seems overly optimistic if anything.

What do you guys think? Also, do you guys think doctors might not take me seriously?

Last edited:

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is possible to go from NW2 to to NW1/“0” but it would have to make sense. Also the cost would vary on hair characteristics, method of surgery and location.

Hair transplants are a wished and wants thing that you must consider along with your situation. To me it sounds like since balding is prevalent in your family it would not make sense to go down to a NW0/1 as you risk the rest of your hair thinning.

With that being said, I recommend treatments to keep the rest of your hair as if you're truly only a NW2 and know it will progress... you want to halt that possibility. That way you wouldn't need a hair transplant at all.

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
It is possible to go from NW2 to to NW1/“0” but it would have to make sense. Also the cost would vary on hair characteristics, method of surgery and location.

Hair transplants are a wished and wants thing that you must consider along with your situation. To me it sounds like since balding is prevalent in your family it would not make sense to go down to a NW0/1 as you risk the rest of your hair thinning.

With that being said, I recommend treatments to keep the rest of your hair as if you're truly only a NW2 and know it will progress... you want to halt that possibility. That way you wouldn't need a hair transplant at all.
Most of the males in my family seem to level out at NW3. My dad for example has a NW2.5, at worst NW3, which I think is great for his age. I do have a few relatives though who are NW4/5, mostly on my dad's side.

What gave me the idea of going back to a NW1 is when I saw the results obtained from Hairliciously on YouTube. I'm scared of going on finasteride due to sides as I suspect my testosterone levels are probably not too great to begin with. Minoxidil I've thought about but again got scared away due to having naturally bad skin and deep under eye circles. I've thought about picking up a dermaroller though.

XSuburbiaX

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not a good idea.

If you hair get worst later you won't be able to cover everything with another hair transplant, also most of the people are NW2 even with no hair loss.

For minoxidil skin side effect, if you use Retin-A with a simple skin routine (wash your face and lot of moisturizer), your skin will definitely improve.

Then dermarolling + minoxidil is the way to go for you.

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
Not a good idea.

If you hair get worst later you won't be able to cover everything with another hair transplant, also most of the people are NW2 even with no hair loss.

For minoxidil skin side effect, if you use Retin-A with a simple skin routine (wash your face and lot of moisturizer), your skin will definitely improve.

Then dermarolling + minoxidil is the way to go for you.

I'll probably post some pictures soon but I definitely have some hair loss. I'm already using all that for my skin but still having some problems + genetic under eye bags. How effective is dermarolling on its own?

XSuburbiaX

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'll probably post some pictures soon but I definitely have some hair loss. I'm already using all that for my skin but still having some problems + genetic under eye bags. How effective is dermarolling on its own?

That's why you shouldn't use your donor area to make a Norwood 0/1 if your hair loss progress you won't have enough later.

Dermarolling alone I can't really tell but I don't think you can expect real result.

You should check Zix in the alternative treatment section.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a lamb. Get your NW1 and live it up

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Anyone know roughly how much it would cost to go from a Norwood 2 to a Norwood 1 or even a Norwood 0?

For reference I am in my mid 20's and have been losing hair since I was 19. I have a few family members who have lost hair but none are past a Norwood 5 to my knowledge, and the ones who have made it that far are all in their late 40's or older.

I would love to have my full hairline back, but one thing I'm worried about is getting the procedure done and having a youthful hairline at an old age, do you guys think that would look a little strange since most men go to at least a NW2? Another thing I'm worried about is further loss of course, as I'm not on any treatments.

On the flip side I could wait it out a few more years and hope some new treatments hit the market but the way it's looking that seems overly optimistic if anything.

What do you guys think? Also, do you guys think doctors might not take me seriously?
My question to you is how much will going from a NW2 to a NW1 change your life? I know going from a NW6 to a NW3 would make a huge impact on someone's life. What are your thoughts?

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My question to you is how much will going from a NW2 to a NW1 change your life? I know going from a NW6 to a NW3 would make a huge impact on someone's life. What are your thoughts?
I would say going from NW2 to NW1 is very minor cosmetic difference. In fact I didn’t really notice my hairloss until Norwood 2.5. NW6 to NW3 is life changing.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I would say going from NW2 to NW1 is very minor cosmetic difference. In fact I didn’t really notice my hairloss until Norwood 2.5. NW6 to NW3 is life changing.
Exactly. That is why after researching hair transplants for over 10 years, I still have not pulled the trigger. Why go thru all that for just a minor difference?

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score

Maybe I'm nitpicking here, but my hairline is naturally pretty low with very prominent temple points, so even a little bit of recession completely changes the way my face is framed. I think it would make a big difference but then again maybe I perceive it to be worse than it actually is.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly. That is why after researching hair transplants for over 10 years, I still have not pulled the trigger. Why go thru all that for just a minor difference?
I agree. The only exception I can see is stabilization for 10 years. If you’re a stable NW3 for 10+ years with a desire for a fuller head of hair and the money means nothing, why not.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe I'm nitpicking here, but my hairline is naturally pretty low with very prominent temple points, so even a little bit of recession completely changes the way my face is framed. I think it would make a big difference but then again maybe I perceive it to be worse than it actually is.
You always perceive it worse than it is. There are a ton of people on here who post at a NW1-1.5 and think they’re going to be bald in 2 years. We are our own worst critics.