Cosmo Completes First Phase I Clinical Trial

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
Cosmo Successfully Completes the First Phase I Clinical Trial of its Anti-Androgen, CB-03-01, for the Treatment of Skin Disorders

Lainate, Italy – September 2, 2008 – Cosmo Pharmaceuticals SpA (“Cosmoâ€) (SWX: COPN) announced today positive results from the first phase I clinical trial of its novel anti-androgen 1% cream, CB-03-01. The trial results showed that the drug was well tolerated both locally and systemically and devoid of measurable side effects for all the doses tested.

CB-03-01 is a new chemical entity, belonging to the family of cortexolone derivatives, patented by Cosmo as an anti-androgenic drug; the compound is indicated for the topical treatment of androgen-dependent skin disorders including Acne, Hirsutism or Androgenetic Alopecia.

The trial was designed as a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, single ascending doses trial to assess drug safety, tolerability and pharmacokinetics following single dose administration. The trial was carried out at the Department of Clinical Pharmacology of the Medical University Hospital of Vienna, under the supervision of the main investigator Prof. Markus Muller. In the study, 3 doses of cortexolone 17?-proprionate (“CB-01-03â€) were administered to 24 healthy male volunteers divided in to three cohorts. Each cohort included 2 subjects receiving only placebo cream on both forearms and 6 subjects receiving CB-03-01 1% cream on one forearm and placebo cream on the other forearm. Safety and tolerability assessments, as well as PK evaluations, were performed up to 36 hours following drug application.

CB-03-01 was shown to permeate the skin and to be quantifiable in the plasma of approximately 40% of the treated subjects: the maximum recorded concentration of the unchanged compound in plasma was below 10 ng/ml. In all subjects, CB-03-01 was undetectable 24-36 hours after dosing.

CB-03-01’s mechanism of action is the competition with Testosterone and DHT at the human androgen-receptor level. CB-03-01 is devoid of systemic anti-androgenic activity, as far as it does not inhibit gonadotropins hypersecretion, and it possesses a moderate anti-inflammatory activity. In preclinical studies, CB-03-01 was shown to be not mutagenic and rapidly metabolized to the parent cortexolone, a physiological substance lacking anti-androgen activity, by human plasma and skin. CB-03-01 has also been shown to be well tolerated and devoid of toxicity when applied repeatedly. Commenting on today’s announcement, Mauro Ajani, CEO of Cosmo, said: “CB-03- 01 is the first new chemical entity that Cosmo is developing and the first product that is not based on our innovative MMX™ technology. CB-03-01 has the potential to be the first topically effective anti-androgen treatment on the market and we look forward to initiating a phase II proof-of-concept trial later in the year."

About Cosmo Pharmaceuticals
Cosmo is a specialty pharma company that aims to become a global leader in optimised therapies for certain Gastrointestinal Diseases. The company’s proprietary clinical development pipeline specifically addresses innovative treatments for IBD, such as Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s Disease, and Colon Infections. Cosmo’s first product is LIALDA™ / MEZAVANT™ that is licensed globally to Giuliani and Shire Pharmaceuticals. Cosmo’s proprietary MMX™ technology is at the core of the Company’s product pipeline and was developed from its expertise in formulating and manufacturing gastrointestinal drugs for international clients at its GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) facilities in Lainate, Italy. For further information on Cosmo, please visit the Company’s website: http://www.cosmopharmaceuticals.com

For more information please contact:
Dr. Chris Tanner, CFO and Head of Investor Relations
Cosmo Pharmaceuticals
Tel: +39 02 9333 7617
Fax: +39 02 9333 7663
E-mail: chris.tanner@cosmopharmaceuticals.com

Some of the information contained in this press release contains forward-looking statements. Readers are cautioned that any such forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance and involve risks and uncertainties, and that actual results may differ materially from those in the forward looking statements as a result of various factors. Cosmo undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements.

Link to this press release: http://www.cosmopharmaceuticals.com/csm ... 008-09-02/

alkulk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hm, that's interesting.
I wonder if this stuff could be able to even regrow some hair...

el_duterino

Reaction score
excellent news ! this sounds like a RU58841 type of drug that will be commercially available.
powerful androgen antagonist without side effects..perfect drug for hairloss !

Sorue

Reaction score
Before the trolls come into this thread with full force, in this game of male pattern baldness, any news is better than no news.. i'm excited for it :punk:

Prevent99

Reaction score
Hopefully one of these topically effective anti-androgens w/o systemic side effects will eventually makes it to a commercial product! IMO the only user friendly, commercially available topical anti-androgen devoid of systemic side effects is the Spironolactone cream. Unfortunately, spironolactone is only a moderately effective topical anti-androgen.

Fluridil is just a pain in the *** to use because it cannot be mixed with water :thumbdown2:

Flutamide causes systemic side effects :thumbdown2:

RU is not commercially available :thumbdown2:

Rework24

Established Member
Reaction score
Flutamide causes systemic side effects

coming up to nearly 5 months on flutamide and have not suffered any side effects. I love the stuff, its workin a treat for me!!

dopey

Reaction score
Rework24 said:
Flutamide causes systemic side effects

coming up to nearly 5 months on flutamide and have not suffered any side effects. I love the stuff, its workin a treat for me!!

Rework,

Where did you get your flut from?

Rework24

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought up 4 tubs from sinere before they stopped it.

They have all been sat in my fridge but I am down to the last tub. I will be ordering some 2% in the next couple of weeks that has been combined with minoxidil so I no longer need to apply 2 things per day! :jump:

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan, I just remembered this drug and want to bring our discussion regarding Equol over here. The way I see it CB-03-01 and Equol have a similiar method of action i.e. they don't inhibit 5alpha-reductase but either bind to the androgen receptor or DHT.

According to Cosmo's press release, this drug doesn't have measurable side effects associated with other anti-androgenic drugs. Since this drug's method of action is almost similar to Equol, doesn't this statement also imply that Equol wouldn't have any significant side effects either?

I was also looking at spironolactone and it's method of action appears the same to me as well. However, spironolactone is associated with severe side effects if taken orally, why is that?

SoThatsLife

Established Member
Reaction score
Goata, thanks for bumping this tread, I had forgotten about this firm. They was planing to start phase 2 Q4 2008 and they planned to complete phase 2 Q3 2009, but I don't really know how the progress is going. One weird thing is that CB-03-01 is marked with red on their Product Pipeline page, hope that it don't mean anything.

http://www.cosmopharmaceuticals.com/csm ... /pipeline/
http://www.cosmopharmaceuticals.com/csm ... iences.pdf

I remember reading somewhere that they said they where going to license out the product after Phase 2, just hope that it don't end up like RU58841 with nothing happening after the phase 2 trial. The pharm company from France still have RU available for licensing.

abcdefg

Reaction score
This is exactly the kind of thing a lot of younger men just starting to lose hair want a safe effective and inexpensive hopefully preventative cure to atleast stop the androgen part of male pattern baldness. Then science can start on figuring out the rest of the factors involved since regrowing hair is not as simple as androgens.

SoThatsLife

Established Member
Reaction score
Im a little insecure if a topical antiandrogen on its own is enough. A AR destroyer like ascj9 could work since it destroys the AR and it takes some days before new AR forms, but AR blockers seems to lack the "extra" step that stops/halts hairloss for a long time. We know that RU works very well the first year or two, then there have been some reports that the results diminish after year 2(But again, there are not many RU users and we really don't know if the ones with diminishing results are representative). But one could think that a low dose of finasteride together with a product like this could be a real good deal. No one really knows, I haven't see any long time topical antiandrogen studies on hair loss. The RU study went on for several years, but it is on animals so it's not entirely the same as a long time human study. I think most spironolactone studies have ended after 1 year. It will be interesting if androscience get ascj9 to actually work and it would be great if they have the control group from Phase 1 still on ascj9. So yea, I guess in about 10 years, we know the answers if long time topical anti androgen is the way to go :innocent:

The closest thing for proof if a topical AR blocker works in the long run is probably el_dutrino,he seems to do very well with his extensive regime of ru, fluridil, flutamide and oral dutasteride. But again, its a real powerful regime that I really don't see as a option for anyone.

CCS

Reaction score
The only way to see how strong an AR blocker lavender is would be to test it on oily skin