Corona Virus - Thoughts On How To Cope

Noah

Reaction score
The virus creates challenges for guys like me who wear and want to keep the fact private. It's a problem if the supply of systems dries up and we run out of wearable hair. Taking the piece off and going publicly bald would compromise the ability to start wearing again with privacy when the crisis is over, so it is not an option.

Some sellers are still reporting they have plenty of stock pieces, but I have a non-standard hair colour and I usually order custom to get a good match. So I have decided to ration the hair I have. I have two decent cut-in pieces, plus a couple of old units which I had retired but which can still be worn with a bit of product to pep them up. I am mostly working from home and practising social distancing, so that helps. Around my apartment I am now just wearing a ball cap with nothing underneath. If I have an on-line video meeting I can quickly attach one of the older units with Got2BGlued. It may not be perfect, but it's good enough for the camera on my office laptop. My 2 good units are back in ziplock bags, being kept for weddings and bar mitzvahs.

In other news, I have a small number of brand new hairpieces which a former poster gave me when he decided to get a scalp tattoo. They are oval, 19 centimetres by 15, dark brown tousled hair (a bit curlier than bodywave), good quality Swiss lace with a thinskin rim all the way around (including the hairline) - pics below. This situation seems a good use for them. If you are an existing wearer and you are getting desperate because you don't have a wearable unit (either because your normal supplier has shut or because of a shortage of cash caused by the virus) and you can make use of one of these, you can PM me and I will send you one for free. First come first served, but please don't take one unless you really need it. The intention is to avoid embarrassment for guys who might otherwise have a problem.

IMG_4666.PNG IMG_4667.PNG IMG_4665.PNG

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was lucky and I recently got three new units, on top of one or two that are still good to wear really from before. All but one is cut in.

My only issue is how I handle the maintenance of my bio hair. I'm considering buzzing it to a high ish grade when it gets too long. It won't look great but I'm working from home.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Good thread Noah. Hope you are well.

I am semi self isolating (meaning I go out for exercise and shopping, but not work). Social distancing is great for wearers in one way :)

This has given me greater flexibility so I have recalled a retired piece (which I cut, dyed and tidied to my current style). It serves quite well (Started in January 2019 for 10 months) as being able to take a bashing without me caring too much e.g. sleeping in any position, exercise, caps. That's actually a good feeling - like having your own hair if you know what I mean.

The one I was wearing (5-months old) is still in very good shape (plenty months there still) and I have put that to one side.

I also have a new piece (uncut). I was due to have it cut in as a spare in February but that didn't happen so its there but I can't use at present.

I am comfortably good until mid 2021.

My supplier is still operating and taking orders and I will probably order another piece just in case.

Outside the cut in, I look after my own hair with shavers and razors so that's unaffected in the lock down, though I one key shaver decided to pack up over the weekend!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been switching from a 9 month old system and a 5 month old one... and the 9 month one is still ok.

Now that I am in lockdown, I took off the hair for the duration.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My heart goes out to hair system wearers who are going to be affected negatively by this lockdown. We're all in this together, and of course we (mostly) want to keep our wearing a secret and carry on living a normal life with our hair systems, so I can totally understand how frustrating this could be for some.

I use a UK based hair system supplier and I spoke to them on the phone a week or 2 back. I go for stock systems right now, and spread the cost monthly to make it easier on my bank account, and get a new one delivered every 3 months. I was told there have so far been no problems with their stock or custom systems, and that my next stock system will be sent out early next month. However I am not sure if the situation with customs has now changed with the full lockdown. But I am going to hold off ordering a custom for now just in case.

I think we all have to be careful and treat out systems with the utmost care at this time as we don't know how long this lockdown is going to last and whether the supply of systems will dry up or not. If possible, I'd say it'd be best to stick to stock units for now until the virus subsides a bit. I'd recommend holding on your old systems as a backup if the worst comes to the worst and you can't get a new one - at least it's better than wearing nothing. For those of you who have the money, buying multiple units would be your best option, and I think it'd be worth getting as long as possible out of your current system (I am going to try to extend mine to 4 to 5 months of wearing - so far it's been nearly 2 months. I had my current system for a few weeks before attachment, hence why my new one if being sent out soon).

It may be a good idea to wash your systems less, as washing causes some shedding and the colour to fade, so we can make them last longer. For periods where we're not going out and not interacting with anyone face to face or over video online, then taking them off might be the best option to help preserve them, though it would require more maintenance etc it we have to keep removing and reattaching more frequently.

I'd also recommend getting some hair fibres and/or hair concealer powder too, so that if your system gets any blemishes and starts to look worn out, these can be concealed for a while with hair concealers.

For those who use custom systems and can't get a good colour match on stock units, maybe it'd just be easier to dye your bio hair closer to the colour of a stock unit than to worry about a custom unit for now.

I'd recommend stocking up on hair system supplies as best you can too. I think Supertape might be a good option as it's cost effective and seems to last longer than other tape, but everyone will have their own preferences. I have now ordered a litre of isopropryl from my UK chemical supplier, which much to my disgust cost £25, but I suppose it's better than risking running out. I am good for at least another 6 months I think.

Hats and bandannas will come in handy too if we are ever in a sutuation where we need to go out and don't have a wearable system. But obviously we hope it won't get as bad as that!

These are just thoughts off the top of my head (no pun intended!). Of course, let's hope the worst doesn't come to the worst and that we're all able too carry on wearing without any major issues during this time. We just have to be prepared, stock up on what we can and do our best.

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's north Korea these days.

Wages in China have gone up over the years and knotting is labour intensive.

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's north Korea these days.

Wages in China have gone up over the years and knotting is labour intensive.
Wow, did not know that, the supplier I use owner claims his family in china makes them, could be they just distribute them

ChromeyFirefox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It was news to me as well. The owner of northwest lace explained it on an update on their forum recently.

I'd imagine that it's not more publicised because.. Well.. North Korea..

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
It's so weird. I got my first system in July and one of my 'what ifs' was 'what if something happens in the world and hair systems are suddenly not readily available'. It totally crossed my mind as a risk!

It seriously got me thinking, if there was a zombie apocalypse and I had to go hairless, would I be hung up still?

Noah

Reaction score
Wow, did not know that, the supplier I use owner claims his family in china makes them, could be they just distribute them

Cute image - grandma in her armchair knitting her rugs while the kiddies play happily at her feet. I would take it with a pinch of salt though. Hair systems are big capital-intensive business.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes. Its North Korea that the Chinese farm the knotting to according to my supplier.

Its been that for a while now so any patriotic Americans can decide if they will support Kimmy :)

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
My issue now is the paucity of rubbing alcohol - I wish I'd stocked up.

I have plenty of Got2B (black) which works well enough.

If I need to go out, which is seldom, I usually just wear my wear without any form of adhesive & secure it w/ a bandana tied around my head/wig.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
My issue now is the paucity of rubbing alcohol - I wish I'd stocked up.

I have plenty of Got2B (black) which works well enough.

If I need to go out, which is seldom, I usually just wear my wear without any form of adhesive & secure it w/ a bandana tied around my head/wig.

I just wear a hat!

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Still working so nothing changes for me. I have 3 new uncut units and 3 back up used systems. I stocked up on adhesive a while ago.