Convince me to switch to UTS or Poly

Throwaway12

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wear UTS and have never tried lace so I can only say what I like about UTS.
1. The hairline looks amazing. Idk what everyone is talking about with this and can only assume they haven’t had a good unit. I’m wearing a 2-3 month old unit with an exposed hairline and I myself can barely tell I’m wearing let alone anybody else.
2. Cleanup is really fast. Reattachment is a breeze. This is a pro only because it encourages me to clean up more often. Once a week I spend 30-45 minutes doing it and doing this keeps everything looking and feeling fresh. If this process was harder as it is with lace, I’d do it a bit less often which is not preferable
3. It’s light and I can never feel it, and it’s gas permeability prevents it from feeling hot. I’m sure lace feels better in this regard but it in no way feels like I have something on my head literally ever.
4. It’s pretty easy to manage and durable. People say lace is delicate. Even tho I’m wearing a 0.03 mm UTS, I really never feel like I’m going to tear it and am pretty harsh with it. Not sure if I could be the same way with lace.
5. My scalp looks real since the membrane is transparent and it feels real to the touch. Sleeping with women and they don’t realize it’s a system even if they touch my head.

I’m curious for someone to tell me why I should try lace when they become more available

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s light and I can never feel it, and it’s gas permeability prevents it from feeling hot

This point has been raised in another thread recently, about gas permeability.

The crux of the matter seems to be that liquid permeability and impermeability is a double edged sword.

I've had excellent v-loop poly systems and garbage ones and everything in between, and they need to be dyed from blonde imo, the best ones look amazing if you do that, the worst ones still look bad if dyed from blonde.

You also gotta bleach the sh*t out of knots or color lace from blonde.

Cruise21

My Regimen
Reaction score
2. Cleanup is really fast. Reattachment is a breeze. This is a pro only because it encourages me to clean up more often. Once a week I spend 30-45 minutes doing it and doing this keeps everything looking and feeling fresh. If this process was harder as it is with lace, I’d do it a bit less often which is not preferable

What's your attachment method and cleanup routine?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
This point has been raised in another thread recently, about gas permeability.

The crux of the matter seems to be that liquid permeability and impermeability is a double edged sword.

I've had excellent v-loop poly systems and garbage ones and everything in between, and they need to be dyed from blonde imo, the best ones look amazing if you do that, the worst ones still look bad if dyed from blonde.

You also gotta bleach the sh*t out of knots or color lace from blonde.
I will attest, to the fact, that poly thin skins are indeed permeable.

If I allow my adhesive to break down, too long, it does seep through to the hair. We have to remember 2 holes are poked for each strand of hair. A layer of Poly is applied over top(bottom of base) to seal them.. however, overtime with drying,stretching, and shrinkage... it does reopen...to some degree...some of those very small, if not microscopic openings.....

Throwaway12

My Regimen
Reaction score
What's your attachment method and cleanup routine?
Let me know if you were looking for a lot more detail than this:

to attach I put 3 pieces of tape in the back and 2 on each side. Once I have that down back to middle, I use liquid adhesive on the front inch. The liquid adhesive I use depends on what I’m planning on doing in the following week. I typically either use walker clear bond or ghost bond platinum.

to remove I generally just pull it off. I generally do this when the adhesives are breaking down so it doesn’t take much although it’s not like it comes right off and I do have to be careful not to tear it. Then I soak the bottom of the base for 5 minutes in oil based remover, shampoo it, and most of the glue comes off pretty quickly. The tapes are a little bit more work but they come off with a little bit of peeling and have the advantage of not being messy.

not always, but generally I do this on 2 separate days. The reason is if I just got back from a trip or a busy social week and I don’t have any plans for a few days, I prefer to leave it off for a bit of extra longevity and to give it a break. I live alone so it’s not uncommon to just not see anybody for a few days in a row. Cleanup takes maybe 20-30 minutes and reattachment takes 10-20 minutes. Separated out on different days makes it really painless

Last edited:

Throwaway12

My Regimen
Reaction score
can you use tape with UTS? I thought that tape would tear a UTS system.
Yes you can; many suppliers even encourage it though I know some do not. I’ve never had a problem with tearing the skin from pulling tape off of it and my strategy is to just let the base soak in a bit of remover for a few minutes before slowly peeling it off. Might have to give it some extra sprits while pulling too

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wear UTS and have never tried lace so I can only say what I like about UTS.
1. The hairline looks amazing. Idk what everyone is talking about with this and can only assume they haven’t had a good unit. I’m wearing a 2-3 month old unit with an exposed hairline and I myself can barely tell I’m wearing let alone anybody else.
3. It’s light and I can never feel it, and it’s gas permeability prevents it from feeling hot. I’m sure lace feels better in this regard but it in no way feels like I have something on my head literally ever.
4. It’s pretty easy to manage and durable. People say lace is delicate. Even tho I’m wearing a 0.03 mm UTS, I really never feel like I’m going to tear it and am pretty harsh with it. Not sure if I could be the same way with lace.
5. My scalp looks real since the membrane is transparent and it feels real to the touch. Sleeping with women and they don’t realize it’s a system even if they touch my head.

I’m curious for someone to tell me why I should try lace when they become more available

Can you answer a few more concerns of mine as I try switching from full french lace to UTS poly?

1) I've heard everyone say poly is going to be bad for sweating/working out every day. Does it smell horrible, or make a mess because of no breathability?
2) Is it possible to still go 2 weeks between re-installations? I currently go ever 2 weeks and going every week is going to mean twice the $ for me.
3) Does the hairline lay completely smooth for you; like can you run your fingers up your forehead and over the hairline without it coming up?

Smidgeon

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey matey,

I have a 0.08 poly (my first one and i've only been wearing a week so take what I say with a pinch of salt lol), I too was worried about poly and whether it would feel suffocating but it's been totally fine and for the most part i forget i'm even wearing a system and don't feel warmer than I used to (one thing i was also worried about was it making me feel really hot).

My hairline is exposed, is undetectable and yes if i run my fingers up my forehead and into my hair there is no ridge that I can feel nor any lifting of the hairline.

Going from lace to poly was potentially a jump you could have halfed by getting a unit that's mixed. Poly rim with a lace/mono centre, etc. That way you can get the benefit of the poly with a large lace centre. Then you won't be so freaked out by an entire poly base.

On tuesday I used Ghostbond XL all over and it felt like only Jesus could have removed the unit from my head lol. On Saturday I removed it (I didn't have to, it was mostly for practice) and this time I stuck it down with tape but used glue on the front hair line. Dear god the tapes are so much quicker and easier lol. But I also just purchased some Ghostbond original to try next. This is new so I just want to try every type of glue and every type of base.

Which is what you should do, don't overthink it and get stressed out by moving from lace or moving from your salon. try different bases and even if you so prefer the salon get used to removing the front section and re-glueing it yourself. if for no other reason than peace of mind knowing that if your salon shuts down (or a covid lockdown happens) you can do it yourself

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey matey,

I have a 0.08 poly (my first one and i've only been wearing a week so take what I say with a pinch of salt lol), I too was worried about poly and whether it would feel suffocating but it's been totally fine and for the most part i forget i'm even wearing a system and don't feel warmer than I used to (one thing i was also worried about was it making me feel really hot).

My hairline is exposed, is undetectable and yes if i run my fingers up my forehead and into my hair there is no ridge that I can feel nor any lifting of the hairline.

Going from lace to poly was potentially a jump you could have halfed by getting a unit that's mixed. Poly rim with a lace/mono centre, etc. That way you can get the benefit of the poly with a large lace centre. Then you won't be so freaked out by an entire poly base.

On tuesday I used Ghostbond XL all over and it felt like only Jesus could have removed the unit from my head lol. On Saturday I removed it (I didn't have to, it was mostly for practice) and this time I stuck it down with tape but used glue on the front hair line. Dear god the tapes are so much quicker and easier lol. But I also just purchased some Ghostbond original to try next. This is new so I just want to try every type of glue and every type of base.

Which is what you should do, don't overthink it and get stressed out by moving from lace or moving from your salon. try different bases and even if you so prefer the salon get used to removing the front section and re-glueing it yourself. if for no other reason than peace of mind knowing that if your salon shuts down (or a covid lockdown happens) you can do it yourself

Thanks for the help! Definitely going to just try the poly one I got and see how it goes. Ultimately I might end up liking the combination the best because idk if I’ll want to spend more money for more often salon visits apparently for the full poly.

Throwaway12

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you answer a few more concerns of mine as I try switching from full french lace to UTS poly?

1) I've heard everyone say poly is going to be bad for sweating/working out every day. Does it smell horrible, or make a mess because of no breathability?
2) Is it possible to still go 2 weeks between re-installations? I currently go ever 2 weeks and going every week is going to mean twice the $ for me.
3) Does the hairline lay completely smooth for you; like can you run your fingers up your forehead and over the hairline without it coming up?
1. I tape the back and sides and leave a little bit of space between the tapes. This allows water to get through enough to give it some clean
2. Yeah I’ve done it. You should definitely do reinstallations yourself as one of the benefits of UTS is how easy that is. Because it’s so easy you can do it more often and by yourself so it’s always looking good.
3. Yeah definitely

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1. I tape the back and sides and leave a little bit of space between the tapes. This allows water to get through enough to give it some clean
2. Yeah I’ve done it. You should definitely do reinstallations yourself as one of the benefits of UTS is how easy that is. Because it’s so easy you can do it more often and by yourself so it’s always looking good.
3. Yeah definitely
Thanks.

I think ultimately a combination unit might end up being best for me. Lace center and poly perimeter. Because right now with the lace hairline, it’s rough, and I can’t even run my fingers up the front smoothly. No matter what adhesive they use it won’t lay completely flat.

Yet I think the lace center is important for me because I am very active, and I’m not sure that leaving gaps in the tape around the edges will be ideal for me.

I’m unsure why these combination units aren’t more popular online. Or hell, even poly hairline with lace everything else. I can’t find that in existence. It seems the most popular ones are either 100% lace or 100% poly.

Smidgeon

My Regimen
Reaction score

Not sure whether they are in stock or not but mixed bases are quite common (or at least I see them a lot), although they tend to be a bit more expensive than 100% poly i think.

Below is the one I am about to get installed in a salon so I know they are in stock

sm9690

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m tempted to do the reverse, currently wearing thin skin and looking to try French lace. Keen to hear peoples experiences with stock French lace

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
French lace than any full skin system IMO.

Personally, I think I like .06 better than UTS when it comes to full poly, but whatever. Small point.

French lace is infinitely more durable, maleable, breathable & I feel free-style knots make the hair behave much more like it's growing from the scalp than what you get w V-Loops.

Bear in mind all units look shitty if they're too dense, not blended, etc., and it's that- having the right hair w/ the right cut - that makes the biggest difference.

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
French lace than any full skin system IMO.

Personally, I think I like .06 better than UTS when it comes to full poly, but whatever. Small point.

French lace is infinitely more durable, maleable, breathable & I feel free-style knots make the hair behave much more like it's growing from the scalp than what you get w V-Loops.

Bear in mind all units look shitty if they're too dense, not blended, etc., and it's that- having the right hair w/ the right cut - that makes the biggest difference.
I am satisfied with French lace. The only remaining issue I absolutely must solve is my hairline.

No matter what adhesive strategy they use, the hairline edge never lays smooth for me there’s always a rough edge, it’s not 100% down to my scalp at the edge. The only reason I’ve gotten away with it is because I have a messy swoop hairstyle going on. But I need to fix that. It seems that poly lays better on the hairline, but then again people wearing French have told me they have no hairline problems, so I don’t know what my issue is.

I’m starting to think it’s something with the size of my unit and where the hairline is laying on my head. Or just something with my skin chemistry. But as soon as I leave the salon it’s already not smooth. And I’ve had three different stylists do it and it all comes out the same.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will tell you, from personal experience, UTS (don't remember about thicker poly in this regard) gets its shape manipulated WAY worse than French lace. If you have so much as a crinkle after applying your UTS, it'll remain there...

I used to do poly surround but I just can't stand poly hairlines.

Throwaway12

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks.

I think ultimately a combination unit might end up being best for me. Lace center and poly perimeter. Because right now with the lace hairline, it’s rough, and I can’t even run my fingers up the front smoothly. No matter what adhesive they use it won’t lay completely flat.

Yet I think the lace center is important for me because I am very active, and I’m not sure that leaving gaps in the tape around the edges will be ideal for me.

I’m unsure why these combination units aren’t more popular online. Or hell, even poly hairline with lace everything else. I can’t find that in existence. It seems the most popular ones are either 100% lace or 100% poly.
I think I would be interested in a combination unit as well once they become more available. But I can tell you that whatever you’re imagining regarding the UTS being not breathable, you’re probably wrong. I powerlift, hike 14ers, scuba dive, and go to Barry’s Bootcamp basically daily and the thing isn’t a problem