Convince me to switch to UTS or Poly

Jbalding

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As the title states, convince me.

Why is it better than Swiss lace?

What are the major differences you noted?

Clean up is a non factor for me as I only glue my hairline and dont find cleaning lace to be an issue.

RedEyeNinja

My Regimen
Reaction score
No worry of hairs pulling through the wrong side of the lace,with poly.
If lace is submerged in water when cleaning and shampooing the residue off the base hairs can pull the wrong way through the base. Meaning they wont go the correct way through the base ever,and have to be cut off.

Cleanup varies with poly vs lace.
Lace: Part the hair out the way mostly and spray the lace base where the tapes are, wait a few mins and it should peel off. Leaving the tape attached to your skin instead. Use C22 to clean that off.
Apply cotton wool to the residue on the lace base and flick it off. Some C22 might need to be used.
Best to reattach once a week, otherwise tapes can break down too much causing tape adhesive residue to seap through the lace making cleaning a nightmare.

Poly: Use Walker Sensi Tak or Walker 1522 under the extended wear tape to make cleanup easy. Can be peeled off easier with maybe the help of C22 on some cotton wool.

Thin skin: Base can easily rip, so use a base tape(Walker 1522 or Sensi Tak) has before extended wear tape to be used or use glue only.
Best to soak it in C22 solvent for 2-5 mins, so the tape comes off easy. I never used only glue.

There is also hybrid bases you could consider.
Lace centre with poly edge back and sides, or lace centre with poly perimeter around the whole edge, some have an added lace front too.

RedEyeNinja

My Regimen
Reaction score
Covid shortages. It's also a game when you do get covid lace pieces. Unbleached knots etc.
Pretty damn cheap prices on SuperHairPieces for lace bases like £170 though. Cheap enough to take risks etc.
I will continue to use them if the quality turns out to be good.

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I like Lace but noticing that I can't find any density higher than 95 olin lace. Wanted to try a medium or at least 115, but they are all poly with that density.
Lavivid says they can do custom lace piece with 115 or 120 but will take about 6 weeks I believe.

Smidgeon

My Regimen
Reaction score
Pretty damn cheap prices on SuperHairPieces for lace bases like £170 though. Cheap enough to take risks etc.
I will continue to use them if the quality turns out to be good.
Let us know how they turn out and whether you got them to cut/style it for you too.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Main advantage is no glue seeping through the mesh onto the hair when it breaks down. They are not liquid permeable which protects the hair from whatever crap you put on the underside or on your scalp, and makes them easier to clean and maintain. But also less comfortable to wear.

Depending on whether or how you use glue, this may not be much of a consideration anyway.

Poly is harder to stain and stains on poly are much less noticable than on lace but poly can become discolored over time or with the use of certain solvents.

Realism of injection in an opaque Poly skin base is the closet to the look and feel of your own growing hair by far, with the caveat that you can't expose the front.

Jbalding

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Main advantage is no glue seeping through the mesh onto the hair when it breaks down. They are not liquid permeable which protects the hair from whatever crap you put on the underside or on your scalp, and makes them easier to clean and maintain. But also less comfortable to wear.

Depending on whether or how you use glue, this may not be much of a consideration anyway.

Poly is harder to stain and stains on poly are much less noticable than on lace but poly can become discolored over time or with the use of certain solvents.

Realism of injection in an opaque Poly skin base is the closet to the look and feel of your own growing hair by far, with the caveat that you can't expose the front.
Might be my chemistry but I don't have issues with lace, glue, whatever. No issues cleaning and none with the hairline getting "dirty" or whatever. It seems everyone here keeps pointing to this as the main positive, but like I said, I have zero issues with lace besides trying to procure it. I think i'll just avoid skins.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Why is hairs on the wrong side of the base a problem? You cut them off or just ignore them. They don't disturb in any way. It's just a funny phenomena. It may disturb, because you can actually count the hairs you've lost.

Fanjeera

Reaction score

How could the base get stained? When coloring the hair?

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, coloring or staining the hair.

I'm glad you enjoy wearing lace, idg what this thread is for tbh

Some ppl like poly b/c more surface area = stronger bond, idk, if you're already familiar with the reasond ppl like it & feel they don't apply to you, i'm wasting my time innit

Jake1979

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Like, i v much doubt anyone is interested in convincing you to switch teams.
I cud be wrong but I think he's simply wanting to hear from guys who like wearing skin and the list of reasons why they prefer it over lace, so he can weigh the pros and cons of each in case he decides to switch base types.

I get it, I feel the same way and considering trying poly, or uts, when weather gets cold.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I cud be wrong but I think he's simply wanting to hear from guys who like wearing skin and the list of reasons why they prefer it over lace, so he can weigh the pros and cons of each in case he decides to switch base types.

I get it, I feel the same way and considering trying poly, or uts, when weather gets cold.
If this is how you respond with your phone number no wonder I never received it.

Antill still good, jakey?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would not recommend switching if you can get lace systems you like now. I just switched due to shortage & wanting to try.

I think the hairline on dark-haired V-Loops looks atrocious. I also feel like stock unit knots are easier to style and flow in more directions than Vloops.

I personally hate UTS as it's too hot and cannot be contorted the same way lace can - although I've never tried swiss.

Obviously there is a benefit and that's the cleanup, as everyone noted. It's really a breeze, but if you're removing routinely, it really shouldn't be an issue.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would not recommend switching if you can get lace systems you like now. I just switched due to shortage & wanting to try.

I think the hairline on dark-haired V-Loops looks atrocious. I also feel like stock unit knots are easier to style and flow in more directions than Vloops.

I personally hate UTS as it's too hot and cannot be contorted the same way lace can - although I've never tried swiss.

Obviously there is a benefit and that's the cleanup, as everyone noted. It's really a breeze, but if you're removing routinely, it really shouldn't be an issue.
The biggest benefit, for myself, Is adhesion with a poly. You have the option to adhere 100% of the system to your scalp. With lace you have maybe 1/10 of that.

However, I completely agree that knots flow better than V loops, and darker V loops look terrible......

As V looped hair breaks at the hairline, you're left with unnatural straight lines stuck in the base....

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
The biggest benefit, for myself, Is adhesion with a poly. You have the option to adhere 100% of the system to your scalp. With lace you have maybe 1/10 of that.

However, I completely agree that knots flow better than V loops, and darker V loops look terrible......

As V looped hair breaks at the hairline, you're left with unnatural straight lines stuck in the base....
Broken hairs at the hairline on any poly system look SO BAD. I suppose that's why ppl toss the things out fairly quickly. It's easy to break hairs, and the result becomes ridiculous looking quite rapidly.

Also, @TooBad, you can fully bond any kind of unit to the head. I wonder, all of the sudden, how that affects breathability. White glue absolutely coats the scalp in a way that doesn't allow your head to breath properly. Then you're adding this condom-like, barely porous base on top of it - it's a motherfucker!

I really wish I could use goddamn tape. I hate being allergic to it!!!!

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Broken hairs at the hairline on any poly system look SO BAD. I suppose that's why ppl toss the things out fairly quickly. It's easy to break hairs, and the result becomes ridiculous looking quite rapidly.

Also, @TooBad, you can fully bond any kind of unit to the head. I wonder, all of the sudden, how that affects breathability. White glue absolutely coats the scalp in a way that doesn't allow your head to breath properly. Then you're adding this condom-like, barely porous base on top of it - it's a motherfucker!

I really wish I could use goddamn tape. I hate being allergic to it!!!!
Fully... meaning in it's entirely, no you cannot. Think of lace. How many individual strands,of lace, does it take to fill 1 square opening? That's how much surface area you're losing with the holes in the lace. You can only adhere the cross hatch pieces of material... which is far less than 50% of the unit.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's interesting, about knots vs. v loops- both look awful, but I've always felt the appearance of knots is familiar enough and codes "toupee" to the average person whereas v-loops are more of an indeterminate, "something's definitely up" kind of look