Control Gx Grey Shampoo, Just For Men Brand

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just For Men Shampoo for greying hair?
It is supposed to bring back colour if you're going grey, I have bits I'd like to dumb down a bit, If I can. It's called Control GX.

What do we know about this shampoo? It basically says you can control as much or as little grey that you want. Do we know if the chemicals in something like this can do damage to someone losing hair. It says on the box not to be used if you dye your hair. So what damage cam this inflict do we know, has anyone used it yet?

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The only reason I mentioned this one is because it's not that horrible grey to brown/red that is renown with stuff like this, but a gradual fade and to stop when you want, does sound like a good product to try. If you do try before I do, let me know how you get on, good luck

Janks16

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using this for a few weeks now. I bought it at CVS drugstore after my wife saw the commercial on TV. I have only about 10% grey hair on my head, and this shampoo took away about 90% of it in two weeks.

When you wash your hair with it, you'll see a white soap suds on your hair, but once you rinse it, if you look down at the tub, you'll see that the water is black. So they must put some kind of dye in there. I shower every day, but I've only been using it about 2-3 times a week and this works just fine. For new users, I would suggest that you put the shampoo on right away, and then shave (if you do that in the shower) and clean the rest of your body so that the dye can make more of an effect. Also, the shampoo has a 1970's aftershave scent, which I don't find too pleasant. So I put on some conditioner afterwards and that takes away the questionable scent.

The color of the dye is dark, and I have dark brown hair, but on the label it says that it works for all colors of hair.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
The formulation of such products are usually not disclosed on the label but, as one colorist explained to me, most of the consumer otc dyes have some sort of metallic component and are detrimental to integrity of hair shaft with repeated use. Would be interesting to examine hair before and after under a microscope.

Janks16

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel that this product is different than the average over-the-counter hair coloring. I'd been coloring my gray hair for a couple years now by using a Revlon product that's mainly meant for women. It worked fine, but I had to put vaseline on my face and neck so that it didn't stain my skin – and after leaving the coloring on for over 10 minutes I felt a light stinging on my scalp.

This new product is a combination of shampoo and, I'm guessing, hair dye – so it's different. It doesn't stain my skin, nor does it sting my scalp, and it not only gets rid of my gray hair, it also seems to last longer.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just For Men Shampoo for greying hair?
It is supposed to bring back colour if you're going grey, I have bits I'd like to dumb down a bit, If I can. It's called Control GX.

What do we know about this shampoo? It basically says you can control as much or as little grey that you want. Do we know if the chemicals in something like this can do damage to someone losing hair. It says on the box not to be used if you dye your hair. So what damage cam this inflict do we know, has anyone used it yet?
It's harmless. Actually I use it 2 to 3 times a week. Just don't leave it in too long.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have light brown hair with some graying at the sides. What would the shade trend to overall?

Janks16

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have light brown hair with some graying at the sides. What would the shade trend to overall?

There are two versions. One is just shampoo, and the other is a combination of shampoo & conditioner. Both work to tone down grey hair. In theory, this works for all hair colors. So whether you're a blonde, brunette or whatever color, your grey hair will turn to the natural color of your hair.

I have dark brown hair and all of my hair is now dark brown. Where you will see the most grey is your sideburns. Grey roots pop up noticeably there. But if you use the shampoo just on your sideburns to touch up, that will work well for you. I only have modest greying, so I don't know how well this will work on men with a high percentage of grey hair.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies people, sorry I missed them, I'd been away, and this forum had been very quiet for a long time so didn't see them till now.
How does something like Just For Men work, which I presume isn't a dye, compared to something like this. We've all seen the nasty orange tinge on bad dye jobs, or overly black colouring on hair. Is this as natural looking as we're told it is?