Continued Hairline Recession After 2-3 Years

Jasmineee

My Regimen
Reaction score
For the past 2-3 years I've been experiencing hair loss within my hairline. I believe it first started when I was 14, and had serious OCD issues because of my social anxiety. I would pick at dried skin at my hairline, but a few months later when I realized it was causing the thinning at my hairline I stopped, but the shedding hasn't. I'm 17 now, and my hairline is still receding but very, very slowly. It's noticable, but not noticable at the same time. I noticed that when shedding, the area would start itching a lot. I dislike scratching because I know it would result in further hair loss. I actually have somewhat long baby hairs in areas that have lost hair. I don't know if that means I have hope to regrow my hair in those areas. I have yet to visit a dermatologist to diagnose whatever scalp condition I have. I no longer pick at my hair, but the recession continues. Is there anyway I can stop the shedding, and regrow hair? I have thick, long, fine hair if that helps, and I'm currently using a hair loss shampoo (Purador). Thank you. <3

Last edited:

Nano123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This sounds like frontal fibrosing alopecia but we can't be completely sure until you are diagnosed, I think there are treatments for it and since you're still seeing baby hairs then you have somewhat viable follicle in that area, just go get it checked soon and hopefully you'll find a good treatment, for the time being you can use toppik or something if you're uncomfortable with how it looks

Jasmineee

My Regimen
Reaction score
This sounds like frontal fibrosing alopecia but we can't be completely sure until you are diagnosed, I think there are treatments for it and since you're still seeing baby hairs then you have somewhat viable follicle in that area, just go get it checked soon and hopefully you'll find a good treatment, for the time being you can use toppik or something if you're uncomfortable with how it looks

Yes, I myself thought it would be frontal fibrosing alopecia, but isn't that when the hair falls off and forms a band like hairline? I still have normal hairs on both my sideburns actually, and hair not completely (meaning bald) lost on affected areas over time. I'm not completely sure though, so I may just try to get a check up...

Nano123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're wearing your hair in tight updos or high right ponytails they could cause traction alopecia actually and this might be why, but anyways you should definitely see a dermatologist

Jasmineee

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're wearing your hair in tight updos or high right ponytails they could cause traction alopecia actually and this might be why, but anyways you should definitely see a dermatologist

Update ^-^
Since last week, I've been shampooing everyday and have been focusing on my hairline area a lot. I massage around the area softly with the pads of my fingers. Suffice to say this has made the itching greatly go away by a lot. I don't know, but for me tingling and itching generally means hair loss in that specific area.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Update ^-^
Since last week, I've been shampooing everyday and have been focusing on my hairline area a lot. I massage around the area softly with the pads of my fingers. Suffice to say this has made the itching greatly go away by a lot. I don't know, but for me tingling and itching generally means hair loss in that specific area.

You have to ask a doctor and don't take this wrong way but you are 17 I don't think women get frontal fibrosing at 17 you mention you had OCD--do you want to post pics? with face blacked out/cut out but of your hair line and we can give you opinions? Its possible you mind is messing with you--or you are irritating the area...over washing it or scrubbing it would just be an irritant.

Jasmineee

My Regimen
Reaction score
You have to ask a doctor and don't take this wrong way but you are 17 I don't think women get frontal fibrosing at 17 you mention you had OCD--do you want to post pics? with face blacked out/cut out but of your hair line and we can give you opinions? Its possible you mind is messing with you--or you are irritating the area...over washing it or scrubbing it would just be an irritant.

Well I'm not completely sure if it is an OCD issue, but have you ever heard of "scalp picking"? It's mostly picking at things like scabs, and dry skin at your scalp. I used to do it a lot in fact, not I don't. I'm not sure how I would be irritating the area. I never wear protective, or tight hairstyles anymore. When I wash I don't scrub as I stated, because I know that'll irritate the area. I massage softly, and trust me it wasn't till last week I started doing this. I'll know hair is falling if there's severe itching, it's been like that for a couple of months. In a previous message, I did mention areas that have been affected still have smooth, fine baby hairs all around so I don't necessarily believe it would be scarring. Also, you can actually see hairs that make up my original hairline at my temples. I'm also experiencing the most thinning not at the top, or the front, but at the sides, and one side is worst than the other. I'm trying for the doctor option, but my mom doesn't really listen or take me seriously, lol.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Go to a dermatologist and or a reputable hair transplant surgeon (they sometimes treat and analyze) or a trigologist if you are in Europe maybe.

I would guess traction alopecia if you had braids in past?
Its not bad though--I did have a spot like this in front part line when I first started with androgenic alopecia--and NO ONE took me seriously for years...So go to Dr and insist they look into it.
Do you have parents that have hair loss?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im late to the party OP but luckily for you that type of hair loss is usually always reversible :) i dont have much else to say but i give much love and good luck, dear!