Constant Knotting, What Am I Doing Wrong?

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright so I am now roughly a month into my hair experience and have certainly had quite the ride. I’ll put together a reflection post some point soon.

biggest problem so far is the knotting of the hair. I have a very curly system and am finding that even when combing it every morning and night, I constantly have knotting and matting in various degrees throughout the piece. Washing it has only made the problem worse, it seems as though it cannot even get wet without drying out and knotting up. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Is it ok to have some hair that’s not easy to pull through when it’s a curly piece? How do I prevent the knots from getting worse if I can’t immediately take care of it?

Noah

Reaction score
IMG_2680.jpg
Have you tried a detangler liquid - the sort girls with long hair use? You can get it from ordinary pharmacies. Also, a wide-toothed detangling Afro comb would be a good idea for you. I'm sure they come in other colours too .

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 130860
Have you tried a detangler liquid - the sort girls with long hair use? You can get it from ordinary pharmacies. Also, a wide-toothed detangling Afro comb would be a good idea for you. I'm sure they come in other colours too .

Going to pick one up as well as a ouidad double Detangler comb. Well see if that helps...

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
You didn't mention if you use a leave-in conditioner?
View attachment 130860
Have you tried a detangler liquid - the sort girls with long hair use? You can get it from ordinary pharmacies. .

per the salons recommendation I have been using John freida frizz ease directly on the knot and then trying to come it out. But unfortunately I find that while it works initially, once it dries, it dries the hair up with it. It really gives it an awful texture. I have mostly, for daily moisture, been using Hask Argan oil (in the little vials) I do like this product and I think it works pretty well — I used it on my bio hair before, too— and from what I understand it does have silicon.

at the moment I am not using any leave in conditioners. Given the curl of the piece the salon recommended that I do not get it wet as it will reactivate the curls and cause more tangling. I would love to be able to use a leave in and let the curls do their thing but the trade off in maintenance just hasn’t been worth it. Open to any advice or suggestions thanks fellas

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have 30mm body wave on mine - basically straight - and I have a lot of knotting too.

I sleep on a satin pillow case with a satin bonnet on my head & STILL I get the issue.

Leave-in serum, like Frizz Ease, is what I've found to be the best solution, but it's still something of an issue.

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have 30mm body wave on mine - basically straight - and I have a lot of knotting too.

I sleep on a satin pillow case with a satin bonnet on my head & STILL I get the issue.

Leave-in serum, like Frizz Ease, is what I've found to be the best solution, but it's still something of an issue.
Do you use any other products? I think the frizz ease dries my hair over time. Also do you just leave the knots? I feel like I could comb it out all day and still new ones would form

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright so small update. Maybe I’m an idiot for not realizing this sooner, but combing, starting in the middle, and moving outwards/downwards has helped new knots from forming. Maybe I was just combing the knots further into the center of the piece before, because I was starting at the edges and working inwards.