Considering Hair Systems Or Hopping On Finasteride

OnTheQuestForHair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys and girls, first time poster here!

Sorry for the long post.

I've been a lurker here for a few months, reading up on upcoming treatments etc etc.

I have been balding at a moderate pace ever since I hit 19, or so I think because now I'm 20 and a half and it's getting noticeable unless I do a few crafty hair styles.

I shed a lot during the day and all the hairs that are falling are short when I've been growing my hair out for months and months.

Hair is still thick except for the hairline, a bit behind it and the crown, so I know it's all going to go eventually.

If I told anyone I was balding they would say I'm crazy, but I shed around 200 hairs a day for sure. Shower, combing, pillow, desk, you name it, there's always going to be hair.

I've come to accept that my body simply does not want me with hair on top, but it's not going to stop me from doing something about it.

I am completely fine with the hair system route, it would give me the hair I always wanted, the style I want, and from what I've read if you take good care of it it can last for 4-6 months with maintenance every fortnight or so.

Also I still have a lot of hair, and the loss is recent, so maybe finasteride might not only maintain for me but regrow the recently minitiarised hair.

I have curly hair so it hides the thinning somewhat, but it was always my dream to grow my hair out long and all the hair that falls out is very short, so that is not happening unless I either ditch my hair for a system, or get on meds.

Shaving is -not- an option, even if I look 10x better clean shaved. I just want hair.

Thank you!

Noah

Reaction score
Hi OTQFH

You sound like you have a really good attitude to this. Welcome to the forum.

You might consider getting a small frontal partial to stabilise your appearance at the front, while you investigate whether the meds will work for you. I have been told frequently that meds preserve the hair you have, but don't regrow the hair you have lost. I can't speak from personal experience though.

OnTheQuestForHair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Noah

Yeah, I do have an open mind about these things, I'm still deciding on whether to go on meds or get a hair system.
I can still style my hair to hide the recession completely, no one would be wiser unless I told them. Crown thinning is a different story though.

I've been thinking of getting a customised hair system this year just to see for myself what it feels like, looks like etc. and get used to it.
I could try meds, but I'm scared of getting permanent side effects, but on the other hand meds could buy me time in which THE CURE TM might come out.

Not to mention I'm also scared of taking meds and have them make things worse in the first place.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to getting my own hair system and trying it out more than trying meds.
Besides, most hair systems look better than my hair anyway at this point.

Noah

Reaction score
It's wise to be cautious. I had a bad (frightening / embarrassing) reaction to meds, which took a scarily long time to wear off, and I have heard the same story or worse from several other guys. I don't want to give meds a blanket bad-mouthing, because clearly they do work for some people, but they have to be used with great caution at the start, because the consequences of getting it wrong can be life-changing, and not in a good way. You are tweaking a very fundamental part of your body chemistry.

You are a brave and optimistic man to plan your life around THE CURE coming out .

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

And welcome. I can imagine your frustration, trying to grow out your hair, which can look really great, and be losing it at the same time. What I can add to have Noah said about drugs, is from all of the feedback that I have seen on many forums, you have the issue of the sexual side effects, especially to someone who is still, very young. And then there is the issue of the "big shed" that some men experience, so you start a medication meant to save your hair, and it falls out even faster. And, also no guarantee that it will work.

The great thing about getting something, a small frontal unit, now, is that your change will be immediate, and you will not have to wait for hair to fall out, and then grow (if it does, at all). It's more work than you are used to, for me, it is super easy, it takes me about an hour a week, and that because it is so very hot here. Once winter comes, it will be every other week.

Had I had the option, of something as inexpensive and realistic as today's hair systems are, I might NOT have cut off my long hair when I was in my mid-20s.

Good luck, let us know how we can help.

OnTheQuestForHair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi BaldBearded :)

I'd get a frontal unit, but I'm also thinning on the crown, in fact I think I lost density everywhere except for the sides and back, but it's not yet noticeable so I was thinking of making the transition while it was not super obvious.

So I was thinking of ordering a custom system, keep it stored somewhere safe, and try meds and see what happens.

Maybe if I love the system I get I might ditch meds entirely and just own it.

Is it allowed to ask for sources recommended for someone new to hair systems?

I've been doing some research for myself but I am just a novice when it comes to this.

Thank you all for your time!

Bigbone

Established Member
Reaction score

I'd get a frontal unit, but I'm also thinning on the crown, in fact I think I lost density everywhere except for the sides and back, but it's not yet noticeable so I was thinking of making the transition while it was not super obvious.

So I was thinking of ordering a custom system, keep it stored somewhere safe, and try meds and see what happens.

I've been doing some research for myself but I am just a novice when it comes to this.

I'm doing both. I can't give an honest review right now as I'm only 1.5 months in, but I can say for sure that nothing comes close to your own hair.

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly the medication route is a bit depressing in my experience .

At BEST it slowed my hairloss down which I'm grateful for .I truly think I would have been severely worse off hair density wise if I didn't use minoxidil daily .With that being said I'd wake up one day and discover it's getting harder and harder to conceal my thinning areas.

Finasteride I tried forl Ike 2 days but backed out as I was super worried about side effects- clearly I didn't take it long enough for any effect however if you can stomach the potential risks I've seen some guys praise it on the forums.

You have to be brutally honest with yourself. I always believed I could conquer my hair loss and always considered a hair system as a desperate last ditch effort .

Honestly, I'm not sure why I didn't do it sooner lol .there is very much a negative stigma attached to systems however if you can get past a few things like maintenance and a little patience (I'm still perfecting my hairline ) and the results speak for themselves. Granted you get the appropriate density and such .

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score

Yes, I will PM you.