Considering Gradually Stop Minoxidil Whilst On Finasteride

JOJOdeshu

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry for my English as I am an universtity student in China. I suffered Androgenetic Alopecia from October last year, and I began to use minoxidil and spirolactone(i stopped it after 2 months). So I used 2% minoxidil for 1 month and then used 5% minoxidil(liquid) till now(about 4 months). My hair situation did improved, but i found it messy to apply minoxidil and that mino just maintain your hair while dosent block DHT. So i add finasteride to my regime.

My question is: Can i gradually stop minoxidil to avoid a huge shed?
I'v heard that some people have nice result using fina only. M
y hair situation is not very severe and i have no problem with my hairline, only thin scalp. I know that all the hair that mino regrowed will shed once stopped, but fina can help them grow back after that. I guess If I reduce the dose and frequency of mino, then i shed some hair, but fina help them regrow after several months, then i repeat the process, will my hair consistently in a shed-and-regrow process? Therefore though i lost all the hair mino regrowed, i avoid the huge shedding and my hair will not be bad like stop mino cold turkey. Can i do this?

JOJOdeshu

My Regimen
Reaction score
the quitting process can be very long(Maybe 8 or more month), can I successfully quit it without shedding too much?(i dont care some shedding)

el_duterino

Reaction score
You can use oral minoxidil
Works well, cheap
I take 5mg a day

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
You can use oral minoxidil
Works well, cheap
I take 5mg a day
I've been considering this but people have scared me with the blood pressure stuff. How long have you taken it? 5mg split twice? Or just once?

Mighty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will tell you my experience: I started taking minoxil + finasteride when I noticed I was balding. My hairline improved as a result. After a year or more with this regime, I started skipping some doses of minoxil. Guess what? Nothing severe happened. I lost almost no hair removing minoxidil. I can say that all the "power" to maintain your hair is due the finasteride, like 99% of it.

el_duterino

Reaction score
5mg is not much its the dosage you get in blood by using 5% twice a day

If you have non heart issues then it's fine
I have a low blood pressure to start wiht and had no issues

Most of the posts on these forums are going to be negative but do not represent the majority of the results

I take one 5mg pill in the morning

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
5mg is not much its the dosage you get in blood by using 5% twice a day

If you have non heart issues then it's fine
I have a low blood pressure to start wiht and had no issues

Most of the posts on these forums are going to be negative but do not represent the majority of the results

I take one 5mg pill in the morning
I have maybe slightly blood pressure but nothing terrible with the heart.

How long have you been taking it?

INT

Reaction score
I will tell you my experience: I started taking minoxil + finasteride when I noticed I was balding. My hairline improved as a result. After a year or more with this regime, I started skipping some doses of minoxil. Guess what? Nothing severe happened. I lost almost no hair removing minoxidil. I can say that all the "power" to maintain your hair is due the finasteride, like 99% of it.

Well, just because this was the case for you does not mean that it is the case for everyone. Plenty of people are non-responders to finasteride but do have great responses to minoxidil (in the first few years, that is).

JOJOdeshu

My Regimen
Reaction score
that's crazy. how long was the period that you quitted minoxidil? As i know, lots of people suffer hair loss during the process.

JOJOdeshu

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, just because this was the case for you does not mean that it is the case for everyone. Plenty of people are non-responders to finasteride but do have great responses to minoxidil (in the first few years, that is).
I think that plenty of people are non-responders to minoxidil,which effiency is about 50%, while finasteride's effiency can reach up to 85% to 90%, I think finasteride is a better medicine in all.

Mighty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I stopped taking it because sometimes I didn't buy the medicine or because I forgot to take it, but, meanwhile, I kept using finasteride. It wasn't a planned thing. The result was that I lost no hair in a noticable way.

I think it is worth a shot. The medicine responsible for halting hairloss is finasteride. If finasteride doesn't save your hair, minoxidil won't do great job in the longterm. Anyway, it is a pain in the *** to apply minoxidil.

JOJOdeshu

My Regimen
Reaction score
I guess I stopped using it for more than one year already.
sorry for my English... you said that you gradually stop minoxidil, so how long it takes from you skipped some dose to you finally stopped it?

JOJOdeshu

My Regimen
Reaction score
I stopped taking it because sometimes I didn't buy the medicine or because I forgot to take it, but, meanwhile, I kept using finasteride. It wasn't a planned thing. The result was that I lost no hair in a noticable way.

I think it is worth a shot. The medicine responsible for halting hairloss is finasteride. If finasteride doesn't save your hair, minoxidil won't do great job in the longterm. Anyway, it is a pain in the *** to apply minoxidil.
Yes,what you said is absolutely true. If finasteride doesn't save your hair, minoxidil won't do great job in the longterm. In the long term we can use finasteride only to save our hair, and once i no longer want to treat, i can stop finaseride and lose hair slowly, rather than experience a shedding from stopping minoxidil