Confused After Finally Going To Get A Consultation

Brady87

My Regimen
Reaction score
First of all I would like to say hi to everyone as I am a new member. I've been coming to this site for quite some time now in search for information and to educate myself about hair systems which until today I thought were the best option for me. Reading Noah and grincer and many others post helped me finally build up the courage to get a consultation done. My intentions were to have a consultation to learn about the salon then I could book for my fitting asap. However after my consultation I have been left more confused than ever and seemingly with no solution to my hair loss problem.

The reasons being for this are as followed,
1. I apparently have enough hair. Which maybe I do but it is very thin especially the crown
2. My job? I'm a tradesman and do sweat at work as I am very active but I thought a system was breathable to allow this. They also told me that wearing a hard hat wouldn't help the system and there's too much risk of catching and damaging it.

So they are the two reasons I was advised against it and told to get a nice hair cut and it will be fine, which it won't by the way. My hair is to thin and only getting thinner. I wanted to fix it before I had to go from the complete bold look to full head off hair.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated

The systems the company use are a 0.03 polyskin base

Thanks again guys

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Brady

Sorry to hear about that unsatisfactory experience. But don't worry, there will be a solution, just maybe not via that salon.

First, the issue of whether you have enough hair or would benefit from a replacement is one entirely for you, and no one else. It is fair to say that occasionally someone comes on a forum like this panicking about a little bit of recession which is really just maturity, rather than hairloss. They usually get told that the work of wearing a system (and there is some work involved) is disproportionate to the gain they will get. But it is still their decision.

It doesn't sound like you are in that category, but if you want some second opinions post a photo. Block out your features if you wish, but leave your eyebrows showing. Alternatively you can send me a photo in private and I will give you my honest view.

Skin pieces are not breathable, and that is an issue if you have a sweaty job. I would strongly recommend that you look at a lace base instead, and it sounds like that means you will need to find a different supplier. I have to wear a hard hat in my job sometimes, and I just wear a silk bandana under the hat and its fine. A lot of guys who have their own hair wear one too, so it doesn't look odd.

So stick with it. Maybe start looking around for a different salon which can sell lace as well as skin. Where are you based?

All the best
Noah

Brady87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Brady

Sorry to hear about that unsatisfactory experience. But don't worry, there will be a solution, just maybe not via that salon.

First, the issue of whether you have enough hair or would benefit from a replacement is one entirely for you, and no one else. It is fair to say that occasionally someone comes on a forum like this panicking about a little bit of recession which is really just maturity, rather than hairloss. They usually get told that the work of wearing a system (and there is some work involved) is disproportionate to the gain they will get. But it is still their decision.

It doesn't sound like you are in that category, but if you want some second opinions post a photo. Block out your features if you wish, but leave your eyebrows showing. Alternatively you can send me a photo in private and I will give you my honest view.

Skin pieces are not breathable, and that is an issue if you have a sweaty job. I would strongly recommend that you look at a lace base instead, and it sounds like that means you will need to find a different supplier. I have to wear a hard hat in my job sometimes, and I just wear a silk bandana under the hat and its fine. A lot of guys who have their own hair wear one too, so it doesn't look odd.

So stick with it. Maybe start looking around for a different salon which can sell lace as well as skin. Where are you based?

All the best
Noah
Thank you Noah, it's reassuring to hear that I still have options despite what the salon recommend. From my research I have found that there is work to be done and a process to be learned in order to keep a hygienic and natural looking system but I feel I could easy keep an hour or so spare a week to master this. Which I would hopefully get quicker with time.

I will pm you with some photos as soon as I get chance Noah, that would be great to get a second opinion from you. Tbh my hair with concealer looks fine and no one can tell but I don't really like to use them and am always cautious of getting my hair wet or people touching my hair and getting fibres all over them!

Thank you for the advice on the hard hat situation. Would it cause a problem if I just wore the hard hat straight on top of a system? I would have no problem wearing a bandana I'm just being curious.

I will start to look for a different salon that could supply a lace system. I'm based in Manchester England.

Thanks again

Noah

Reaction score
I think wearing a hard hat all the time directly on the hair would likely take a toll on it. It wouldn't catch and damage your piece, but over time you would get more shedding than without the hat, so it would take a few weeks off the life of the piece maybe.

Since you are in Manchester, there is a super-nice guy near you called Flávio who you should think of contacting. He is a relatively recent hair system wearer himself, but he is an experienced barber and has done work with other guys who wear a piece. His Facebook page with some examples of his work is here:

https://www.facebook.com/flaviogomesbarber

Noah