Confused after a hair transplant consultation

zulf005

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have recently been to the dhi clinic for a consultation and I don't know what to do!

I was told that my donar hair was thin and have about 3000 grafts avaliable at most. I have lost a signficant amount of hair from the crown and temples and was told that a hair transplant would only be worth it if i lower my expectations. My father is a norwood 7 and i know im heading the same direction.

Please can the experienced chaps on here advice me on what i should do?

Is 2,500 sufficient for the temples and front with a 500 reserve? I am thinking that i could settle for this.

Please kindly share your opinions.

Wolff

Reaction score
The simple answer should be: if you know you're heading for NW7, then you shouldn't do a hair transplant at all.
Use hair pieces instead. That way you can just size up as the hair loss progresses.
If you make a transplant and place your donors supply in the front, it's going to look strange when the hair on the top and the crown disappears. Got to think long term..

zulf005

Reaction score
I was thinking maybe get a hair transplant at the front and get a hair piece at for the rest?

In that case do you think 2,500 sufficient for the temples and front with a 500 reserve?

Thanks for your input!

Wolff

Reaction score
Ah, thats of course an option. I'm actually accidentally half way into doing exactly what you're thinking about doing. I made a transplant two months ago assuming the donor would be enough to cover all the bald area, but no longer thinks that it has that capacity. Some 2800 grafts were transplanted to the frontal third with high density (approx 2 inch high).
To answer your question, yes 2500 should be enough to create an inch-high hairline + a little in your temples. But I think it's better that you just start with a hair piece for a couple of months / years. If you do like to wear the hairpiece and want to boost the appearance with a real hairline you can always do that later. In that case, make sure your'e attending a reputable clinic with good track record of fue-transplants. (If you get tired of the hairpiece in the future and want to shave everything off, you will be grateful for having done a well made fue instead of a strip operation)

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Transplant + piece - fair enough.

Otherwise it's a terrible idea due to everything, your genetics and lack of donor hair. I am not sure if you take meds either.

To put it into perspective I am probably going to have a 2500 graft transplant for the frontal third. It still leaves me with at least 7500 grafts due to my donor being great. The surgeon told me in his other patients he is wary of putting too much at the front with little donor left in the bank. Yes surgeons do build from front to back but not to the extent where you have a thick fat frontal 1/3 and basically pubes after. It would look very bad.

zulf005

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am also worried that if i get FUE done for the 2500 grafts, the remaining hair in the donar area may look thin. Do you think this will be the case?

I am so disappointed about my donar area.... At the moment i am not taking any meds....

Wolf pack- When you say frontal third does that mean i would have to cover 2/3 using a system?

Also would 2500 give me good density?

Wolff

Reaction score
It depends on how your donor is now. Is there any chance you could upload a good quality picture of the back of your head?( From the side and above would also be useful)
I think 2500 could result in good density if placed in a limited area.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am also worried that if i get FUE done for the 2500 grafts, the remaining hair in the donar area may look thin. Do you think this will be the case?

I am so disappointed about my donar area.... At the moment i am not taking any meds....

Wolf pack- When you say frontal third does that mean i would have to cover 2/3 using a system?

Also would 2500 give me good density?

2500 should give pretty good density at the front but it depends on individual characteristics like hair thickness, state of all your hair, scalp/hair contrast e.t.c. I don't know much about systems but yes you would need to cover the remaining 2/3 in such a scenario. Donor hair will probably look thin from what you're saying but you could shave the back and sides to almost skin and keep it long on top. It might help.

It's risky. I would not opt for a transplant if I were in your shoes. Not even in combination with a system. It doesn't leave you with a "get out plan" if you don't like it. It would be a nightmare to just be left with a frontal 1/3 of real hair IMHO.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would get a second opinion from another hair transplant doctor and also start taking finasteride or dutasteride to keep the hair you do have.

zulf005

Reaction score
I think you guys are right. I will get a second opinion on hair transplant. when i wear concealer, I think I can live with my hair the way it is. But the problem is that my hair is getting worse and worse, to a point where I don't wanna be seen without concealer.... I used to use minoxidal and propecia, I stopped them and yes my hair has gone worse. I also feel it has been exacerbated by the mane concealer I use which is basically like a spray can! I'm going to change concealers to fibre based. The question is do you think I can at least maintain or even slighkt improve my existing hair???

Thanks to all.

- - - Updated - - -

Any input please?!

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
I think that 2500 can still give you a good age-appropriate result if it is done well. Forget your temples, forget your crown. Get a front and top restoration with a MATURE hairline and you will look good when viewed from many angles and it will be a look you can age with over many years. Lotsa men have receded temples and a bald spot but as long as they have some hair on top and in front they can pull it off just fine, and then you can skip a hairpiece.

arfy

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you guys are right. I will get a second opinion on hair transplant. when i wear concealer, I think I can live with my hair the way it is. But the problem is that my hair is getting worse and worse, to a point where I don't wanna be seen without concealer.... I used to use minoxidal and propecia, I stopped them and yes my hair has gone worse. I also feel it has been exacerbated by the mane concealer I use which is basically like a spray can! I'm going to change concealers to fibre based. The question is do you think I can at least maintain or even slighkt improve my existing hair???

Thanks to all.

- - - Updated - - -

Any input please?!

If you stopped using medication and your hair's getting worse, a transplant is not going to solve your dilemma. Hair transplants can accelerate hair loss (it's called telogen effluvium, or shock loss) especially in guys who haven't stabilized their hair loss with medication.