Concealer Advice

Def

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have noticeable thinning at the crown which I have been treating with finasteride and min for about 6.5 years now. Never used concealers before.

My thinning is almost undetectable if I style my hair correctly, but am about to go on a ski trip in a few weeks in Austria where the temp is currently -5 or so. Which means i'm going to have to wear a beanie / not style my hair - and this is when the thinning is most noticeable.

Does anyone have any advice as to what would be the best concealer for me to use with a beanie? My questions are - will Dermmatch rub off onto the beanie and reveal my thinning once I take it off? Or would it be better to use one of those fibre type concealers and then use a hairspray to lock it in? Or will wearing a beanie ruin the concealer's work when I take the beanie off no matter what I use?...

Thoughts?

Def

s.a.f

Reaction score
Hmmm, whichever type you use it'd be a good Idea to use a hairspray or locking mist it'll stay on your head pretty well but I still cant guarantee that it would'nt leave a stain the Beenie.
But my biggest advice to anyone using concealer is always remember LESS IS MORE, concealers should be for small improvement NOT going for perfection.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Saf, couple of question regarding your less is more approach.

Last night, I applied and 'patted' as instructed, but when I did 'pat' after I thought I'd applied enough, it just revealed the thinning area, so I had to put more on,and then sprayed. I remember you telling me to move it about a bit, but it just revealed what I'd covered when I did this. Does that mean I don't use enough of it?
This morning it was all dispersed when I woke up as well revealing most of the thin area. It does come off during sleep, which I thought it didn't usually?

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
I think a spray on concealer like prothik or fullmore would be your best bet in this case. They don't come off as easily as the shake on fibers.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Esprit said:
Saf, couple of question regarding your less is more approach.

Last night, I applied and 'patted' as instructed, but when I did 'pat' after I thought I'd applied enough, it just revealed the thinning area, so I had to put more on,and then sprayed. I remember you telling me to move it about a bit, but it just revealed what I'd covered when I did this. Does that mean I don't use enough of it?
This morning it was all dispersed when I woke up as well revealing most of the thin area. It does come off during sleep, which I thought it didn't usually?

Like I always say dont try to go for a perfect 'cover up' aim for it looking 15/20% thicker than before. I dont know wether you have a bad product but with me I use nanogen and it stays perfectly without even using a spray and does'nt come off until I shampoo it off. Some pics would help.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Waiting for the Nano, I'll be well pleased if it works better than the Toppik and doesn't leave these leopard type black spots on your head.

I've seen a thousand videos by all these makers, which as we know can't all be trick photography, and I've never achieved a result like it with Toppik. So I'll tell you what I think when I get the Nano
Thanks

Reaction score
Hey Def. I understand your concern completely. Here's what you can do as it has worked for me. I've never tried toppik but dermatch worked pretty well. Just make sure that you don't over do it with the application as it makes your hair look a bit chalky if you do. Put the dermatch on dry hair and then brush it backwards to spread it into your hair. Once you've finished and put on the desired amount, step into the shower and begin rinsing your hair with hot water. By doing this, it will get rid of most of the dermatch that would have "rubbed off" on your beanie. After you get out, dry down your hair, and style it however you wish. I find that a dry looking wax worked best for me.

This should be enough to deal with your concern. The only way it will rub off now is if you or someone else deliberately rubbed your head! Or if you shampooed it out

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
how does DermMatch compare with the fibres? Doesn't it just paint your head, rather than thicken up like the sprinkles are supposed to do? And how do the colour matches go, should you go darker or lighter?

s.a.f

Reaction score
I guess the answer must be to experiment and find out what works best for you, and as for colour I'd say always go lighter - less chance of it showing up against the scalp.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Saf how good is this nanogen? has it concealed alot of your hairloss or does it just improve the appearance of hair a little.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Just improves the appearance a little, like about 15/20%. But thats all I aim for I only use a small amount as I used to bald, I dont want to pour it on and have my 'secret' discovered.
Whats your current situation?

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Im thinning at the crown very quickly and its making its way across the vertex of the scalp. I have a receding hairline (norwood 2.5) but that doesnt compare to the devastation thats taking place on my crown. This thinning is easilly detectable in bright light. I've used most hairloss treatments and coudnt tollerate the side effects. All i can hope for is hiding my hairloss for a couple more years at best. Im barelly 25 and im in no way ready to open up to the world that im going bald.

Def

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies all!

I might try the dermmatch and rinse approach... Seems to be the least messy way? Although assume I will need a black towel (I have black hair and therefore will require black dermmatch!).

I shall buy some this week and give it a try... Otherwise, is there any "locking mist" or "hairspray" that works to lock dermmatch onto the scalp?

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My main problem with these is that where the balding spot it, is that after the concealer is applied, you can see some sort of a ring round the edges of it, and it's thin, flatter than surrounding area..

arison

Established Member
Reaction score
go with super million hair fibers - its very hard to rub off
expensive tho n verty tricky too apply

ive tried dermamatch n toppik both are good but it rub off n dries u hair out
also it stains pilloe cases
try explaining to a girl y her pillwe case has black spots after slept on it the morning sun....be careful

or get an understanding girl who would like either if u had hair or not.....hahahahaha ;)