Complementary and Alternative Treatments for Alopecia: A Comprehensive Review

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This is a great study, old one (2018) but reliable. UC Irvine dermatology. You can download the PDF.

The treatment of alopecia is limited by a lack of therapies that induce and sustain disease remission. Given the negative psychosocial impact of hair loss, patients that do not see significant hair restoration with conventional therapies often turn to complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). Although there are a variety of CAM treatment options on the market for alopecia, only a few are backed by multiple randomized controlled trials. Further, these modalities are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration and there is a lack of standardization of bioactive in gredients in over-the-counter vitamins, herbs, and supplements. In this article, we provide a comprehensive review of the efficacy, safety, and tolerability of CAM, including natural products and mind and body practices, in the treatment of hair loss. Overall, there is a need for additional studies investigating CAM for alopecia with more robust clinical design and standardized, quantitative outcomes.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Weeding out low quality papers and so on, I found that Applemet studies are the most impressive. The paper by Tenore et al, is very thorough. Another paper shows similar efficacy.

What happened to that experiment by members? There was a thread called

Applemets Hair - Nutraceutic Powered By Italian University Of Naples

But was closed by moderator, waiting to hear from the Italians who were trying this.

@Armando Jose Do you know what happened to this? I think I saw your name on that thread.

ElToso

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Weeding out low quality papers and so on, I found that Applemet studies are the most impressive. The paper by Tenore et al, is very thorough. Another paper shows similar efficacy.

What happened to that experiment by members? There was a thread called

Applemets Hair - Nutraceutic Powered By Italian University Of Naples

But was closed by moderator, waiting to hear from the Italians who were trying this.

@Armando Jose Do you know what happened to this? I think I saw your name on that thread.

It's a scam

Last edited:

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
fake photos
special apple only from italy
another scam but it can be buy today

but procyanidin can be useful for a healthy hair, not regrow but mantenaince

MrOscar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Annurca apple products carry known amount of Annurca extract 4:1, 800-900 mg dry extract by two tablets/capsules.
4:1 means the supplement carries barely the equivalent of 4 grams of this particular cultivar of apple, as the extract is made by using water.
The extract is not standardised in procyanidinscontent, even the italian University studies and their posts in the Italian forum tell the amount of procyanidn by is 0.06 mg/g, so about 0.5 mg: this nothing, as a regular average diet supply something like 100X this amount.

The University team claimed the extract was carrying the amount of polyphenol of 6 Annurca apples, but this is not consistent, as there are only 4 grams of "dry apple " in.
The messy thing is University claimed something about these 6 apples, but the commercial product doesn't carry the procyanidn amount on the label.

I wrote an email messages to the research group asking to elaborate about whera are these 6 apples, as the physics says these apples with a water extract can't fit in 2 capsules or tablets: didn't get a reply, so drive your conclusions.

This is the reason one can think this is a scam.

If you want to get apple procyanidns, just go for products manufactured by ethanol extraction of polyphenols labeled carrying 80% of polyphenol, where the largest part of them is oligomeric proanthocyanidin B2 with applephenon extract.

Had them for some months: not sure they improved my hair, but for sure they helped me for dropping weight and getting fitter.

Last edited: