Fanjeera

Reaction score
sbrrgDo.jpg

Y4kktf8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sbrrgDo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Y4kktf8.jpg

zA6yeAf.jpg

Update: https://imgur.com/zA6yeAf

Here I am again with this same old problem which I still haven't resolved: getting Ghostbond XL off lace (which is a perfect adhesive in terms of adhesion (I get 4 weeks out of it, though I don't work out). Perhaps someone new will see this thread now and can help me or maybe someone has discovered something new in the meanwhile.

What I do right now: Autoglym Intesive Tar Remover soak for 3--5h

repeated washes with dish washing liquid

repeated washes with shampoo

Plan: replace shampoo with a stronger soap

replace Autoglym with charcoal lighter fluid soak

or replace Autoglym with C22 as it allows a 24h soak and then try very prolonged soaks with this agent like 36h

wipe with 99% isopropyl alcohol with microfiber cotton swabs later some other day or prior to attaching as I am already too tired after this on the same day

heating the residue up with hair drier and then wiping

using a steam cleaner if anything else doesn't work

Please comment my plan or give your own!

Thank you!

P.S. The red dots are from aligning the piece. This method is quite close to perfect for alignment I think, but it will leave red dots on my scalp that are visible through the hair and don't come off either with cleaning. A different color won't be visible, but that then makes the aligning more difficult.

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

So the solvent only loosens the adhesive, you need to be using the correct method to remove it, once it's soft.

My supplier keeps insisting that cotton balls are truly the best method, I also hear of some guys using the "mirror" method (although some claim that is is destructive).

Steve

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Hi,

So the solvent only loosens the adhesive, you need to be using the correct method to remove it, once it's soft.

My supplier keeps insisting that cotton balls are truly the best method, I also hear of some guys using the "mirror" method (although some claim that is is destructive).

Steve
Well i use dish washing liquid and shampoo and do circular motion with my fingers when they're on and let warm water flow from the tap.

They don't suggest scrubbing the lace as it results in pullthrough of hair. High pressure water maybe? High pressure water textile cleansing gun (I even bought one, but it's a hassle getting it out)?

Just scraping with a spoon isn't enough I think. They sell cotton balls with microfiber surface. Maybe that.

Thanks!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nope... your fingers don't grab the adhesive. Cotton balls... rub the cotton wool on the lace, and you should be able to roll it off with the glue, since the cotton sticks to it.

Don't scrape it, no high-pressure water.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
blow drier + micro fiber cotton doesnt do anything. nor does isopropyl alcohol. but i found that after being in the closet for a few days the glue has started to look better and smaller on itself compared to right after cleaning. it seemed to have cleaned itself to something i could even attach. now just really small bits of glue sparsely. i guess it just turned color from white to transparent again.

what i really havent been doing foolishly is wiping with cotton right when it's still dripping of solvent. a basic thing. next time i will do this and hopefully this will fix everything. dont like to depend on blow drier, steam cleaner, textile gun or some other home electronic device.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
blow drier + micro fiber cotton doesnt do anything. nor does isopropyl alcohol. but i found that after being in the closet for a few days the glue has started to look better and smaller on itself compared to right after cleaning. it seemed to have cleaned itself to something i could even attach. now just really small bits of glue sparsely. i guess it just turned color from white to transparent again.

what i really havent been doing foolishly is wiping with cotton right when it's still dripping of solvent. a basic thing. next time i will do this and hopefully this will fix everything. dont like to depend on blow drier, steam cleaner, textile gun or some other home electronic device.

I just tried acetone, to remove tape, and it worked perfectly. I would do a test on an old system, if you have one, just to make sure.

Using a cloth, the acetone just wiped the tape off the lace and didn't leave any residue.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I am now wiping with cotton and doing double soaking with C22. After 1st soak which is 24h I wipe some residue off with cotton, then I did another soak with the same solvent that was still left in the plastic box for 1h and then another wiping with cotton.

And the situation is getting worse. Even more old residue between the lace holes. Maybe I am just not totally immersing the base with enough solvent because using that much C22 would be too expensive. I will do that with charcoal lighter fluid, though, trying not to hold myself back with the amount, but I really hope it's not bad for the hair, because if I put a good amount of solvent much of the hair will also be soaking inside it.

Meanwhile I don't want to do another soaking and washing to this system again before I've not attached and worn it. I will try to just wipe with isopropyl alcohol, but I already know it just does not work, because I've done it 100 times.

Are there really no other Ghostbond users with the same problem? Yes, I probably am a little careless when applying the glue, because when I do touchups, easpecially at the back, the glue may at some spots go directly on the lace by accident and my layers are not very thin and even probably, because there is already growing hair and old broken down glue and I am in a hurry and I just want it to stick down. But it can't just be that this makes it impossible to get the glue out of the lace. There must be some chemical, solvent or method that will dissolve the glue.

Maybe it's more on the other side of the lace, inbetween the hair? Some different method for that perhaps?

Last edited:

Fanjeera

Reaction score
https://imgur.com/zA6yeAf

So this is where I am at right now. Any ideas how to clean the base please? Really much appreciate as I think this problem may weaken my bond and I am planning to attach this system right before going to a week long trip to Egypt.

Boiling water?

Last edited:

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Lighter fluid soaking is not good unfortunately. It dries quickly like isopropyl alcohol and leaves the glue white and dry. My first soak was 36--48h and 2nd like 24--36h.

Some of the glue got stuck inside the hair, because it was again dry. I wasn't able to get it out very easily and thus it pulle out more hair than normally I think. It did not clean all the glue between the lace holes. As bad as always, maybe even a little worse.

Oily solvents are a lot better -- they actually allow you to remove the glue.

And because it evaporates so strongly it's really difficult to work with microfibre cotton on the glue, because your face is quite near the base and the toxic fumes just hurt. I feel like faiting afterwards. This is with all solvents, but isopropyl alcohol, Autoglym and charcoal ligther fluid are the worst.

I am switching back to Protouch's citrus solvent. Although it didn't do the job, atleast it doesn't make me faint so quickly. Thinking of maybe using textile gun again.

Last edited:

Noah

Reaction score
Have you tried Autoglym or Swarfega? I have mentioned these before - their primary purpose is to get mineral oil off machine parts and off your skin. You can buy them at car part shops and DIY stores. I would regard Autoglym as the remedy of last resort for the sort of problem you have. It’s very effective.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My salon says that they soak the unit in Amber to loosen the glue so they can remove it. They do it in a matter of minutes. To this day tho, I still don't know what Amber is.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder if it's like Goo Gone, but it takes more than a couple of minutes. You should ask them what it is!!!

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Have you tried Autoglym or Swarfega? I have mentioned these before - their primary purpose is to get mineral oil off machine parts and off your skin. You can buy them at car part shops and DIY stores. I would regard Autoglym as the remedy of last resort for the sort of problem you have. It’s very effective.
Yes, I have, but not with double soaking. With 1 24h soak it still left a bit behind. Still, it's one of the best, but C22 is as good imo. It's smells so toxic that I can't imagine working on the base with microfibre cotton when it's still dripping from it. When I do it, I have to get my face and nose quite close to see how good I am scraping the old glue off. When I used to use I put straight dish washing liquid on and then washed it off.

I will try it again.

Thanks!

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When using cottons wool balls to clean glue off a hair system, I've noticed it works more effectively if I rest the system on something while I rub the cotton balls over the glue to remove it. I usually lightly rest my system on a mannequin hairdressing head, for example. This creates an extra bit of pressure that makes it easier for the cotton wool to remove the glue.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
The cotton ball/cotton wool better works perfectly on lace. Just rub the cotton into the affected lace holes in a circular motion, and the cotton will stick the glue. From there just gently pick the cotton bits out with your fingers. It's quite easy.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
The cotton ball/cotton wool better works perfectly on lace. Just rub the cotton into the affected lace holes in a circular motion, and the cotton will stick the glue. From there just gently pick the cotton bits out with your fingers. It's quite easy.
When it's dripping of solvent still or after what step exactly?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
When it's dripping of solvent still or after what step exactly?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
After you're done wearing the system for 4 weeks or whatnot and you've removed it, either by just peeling it off or by using alcohol based remover, wait for the piece to dry, then rub the cotton balls into the lace where the glue is. The cotton get stuck to the residual glue, whereupon you can pick it off with your fingers.

I'm so glad I just apply directly to my poly perimeter and don't have to deal w that...

I

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
After you're done wearing the system for 4 weeks

4 weeks without removing the system? Wow, that seems a bit long. It's generally recommended that for most people, you should remove a lace system around once a week to keep it in the optimum condition. I've worn for a week and a half and not had any problems, though.

What was your experience after 4 weeks wearing? You have to be careful because the glue adhesive usually starts seeping through the lace and sticks to the hair if you wear it too long without removing and cleaning it. You mentioned in your post about shampooing a system that you were experiencing problems - I think the fact that you're wearing it for 4 weeks is likely one of the problems too, causing your system to not be in the best condition. Just my thoughts.

It sounds like you haven't learned the basic concepts of hair systems to be honest, eg buying $100 cheap systems, not removing for 4 weeks etc. I'm not trying to be nasty, I'm just keeping it real. If you want to

I am still fairly new to the world of hair systems, but I've spent a LOT of time educating myself properly on all aspects of them, from buying, sizing, cutting in, attaching, cleaning, removing, looking after them etc. I'd recommend you do the same - perhaps look into the My Hair Experience channel on YouTube (and his ebooks too). It just comes across from your posts that you're making rookie mistakes and haven't properly taken the time to educate yourself on hair systems, hence the problems you're having.

Last edited:

Fanjeera

Reaction score
4 weeks without removing the system? Wow, that seems a bit long. It's generally recommended that for most people, you should remove a lace system around once a week to keep it in the optimum condition. I've worn for a week and a half and not had any problems, though.

What was your experience after 4 weeks wearing? You have to be careful because the glue adhesive usually starts seeping through the lace and sticks to the hair if you wear it too long without removing and cleaning it. You mentioned in your post about shampooing a system that you were experiencing problems - I think the fact that you're wearing it for 4 weeks is likely one of the problems too, causing your system to not be in the best condition. Just my thoughts.

It sounds like you haven't learned the basic concepts of hair systems to be honest, eg buying $100 cheap systems, not removing for 4 weeks etc. I'm not trying to be nasty, I'm just keeping it real. If you want to

I am still fairly new to the world of hair systems, but I've spent a LOT of time educating myself properly on all aspects of them, from buying, sizing, cutting in, attaching, cleaning, removing, looking after them etc. I'd recommend you do the same - perhaps look into the My Hair Experience channel on YouTube (and his ebooks too). It just comes across from your posts that you're making rookie mistakes and haven't properly taken the time to educate yourself on hair systems, hence the problems you're having.
I am the one wearing for 3,5--4 weeks. I think it's convenient. The only problem is the difficult cleanup of the lace base afterwards.