choice, confusion and uncerainty

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've decided to take the plunge and buy medication from either Inhouse or United (haven't decided yet). Problem is, there are too many different products and brands and then there is the choice between finasteride v Dutasteride? What's the difference and which is better? Anything from either stores I should avoid?

The other things is, will there be shedding if I take either finasteride or dutasteride?

Hope you can help.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong on this ... but apart from the fact finasteride is FDA approved whereas dutasteride isn't.

dutasteride might actually be more effective, but with a greater risk of sides.

People should only start considering dutasteride, if finasteride is doing nothing for them, and by that i mean if they are still losing hair.

To rely on hormone suppression for regrowth is dangerous.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
(a C&P from another post of mine)

I get all my stuff from 4RX

http://www.4rx.com/online-pharmacy/cate ... pecia.html

I've been taking Finasteride from them for the last 3 years. My hair loss went from 200 hairs a day to about 25, so I know it wasn't just a sugar pill or something like that. I just ordered Dutasteride from them, and I got it within 7 business days.

2 money saving tips if you go there...
1: Let's say you want 180 caps. Add the 90 caps to your cart instead. It will take you to a checkout page, but it will also give you a chance to upgrade your order to 180 pills for $20 cheaper

2: Use the promo code Q52EM37T during checkout for another 10% off. That's my promo code that I got for being a return customer, so feel free to pass it around :)

(I swear I'm not a shill for the company! I've pointed 3 friends with male pattern baldness to the same site, and they've all had good results with the drugs from there. Just trying to be helpful and save you guys some money at the same time :) )

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks all,

Having carefully considered it I have decided to buy Dr Reddy's Finast.

Is it typical to experience a shed as I have probably 90% of my hair and I've never experienced shedding, even with minoxidil. Experiencing a shed must be awful and worrying.

The other thing is, can you take alcohol with finasteride?

Rawtashk

Reaction score
I drink (but not very often) while on finasteride, and it hasn't had a negative effect on me. But, like all drugs, everyone responds differently to medications.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
shineman921 said:
Thanks all,

Having carefully considered it I have decided to buy Dr Reddy's Finast.

Is it typical to experience a shed as I have probably 90% of my hair and I've never experienced shedding, even with minoxidil. Experiencing a shed must be awful and worrying.

The other thing is, can you take alcohol with finasteride?

I think it's a little bit heavy on the liver probably only a problem if you've already got liver damage, i used to take finasteride in the mornings just in case, I tended to be a weekend 'binge drinker' i.e six pints or more

<<edit >>

I've since had a quick scan of the net, and i think what I'd read is that people with liver damage should see their doctor before taking propecia, because the liver won't be able to break it down quickly enough and over time the levels will build up to a silly amount.

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
cando said:
Don't take it! Listen, just at least read the reports of sever side effects, find out what it can really do to you. Look at propeciahelp.com if after seeing the scientific reports and the personal reports on the forums you are convinced it is placebo or that it definitely won't happen to you then all i can say is good luck, i hope you don't get sides, and i really do, because i wouldnt wish the effects of finasteride on my worst enemy. viewtopic.php?f=61&t=65564

I've been using those for 6 month with ZERO side effects. The site look's very alarmist and few people (if any) in these forums that have used them don't seem to have problems.

As it happens I haven't ordered anything yet as I don't think United Pharmacies take Mastercard and I wanted Dr Reddy's in particular!

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I've ordered from United Pharmacies (UK). They do take Mastercard. The Dr Reddy's Finast are on the way. Not entirely sure I will take them when I get them but at least I will have them. If I do take, I will cut them into quarters. I've been on minoxidil, Nizoral and Saw Palmetto for six months now. May give it another six months. Nothing seems to have got worse!

Johnx

Established Member
Reaction score
Shineman, please report if you notice anything (sides or smth) when taking your Finast..

I've also ordered and using Fistide from UP, but noticed nothing in two weeks, so I'm getting a little paranoid and going to order a box of each for testing - Finast, Proscar, Finpecia, just to see if I can notice any difference between them..

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
HairlossFighter said:
Shineman, please report if you notice anything (sides or smth) when taking your Finast..

I've also ordered and using Fistide from UP, but noticed nothing in two weeks, so I'm getting a little paranoid and going to order a box of each for testing - Finast, Proscar, Finpecia, just to see if I can notice any difference between them..

..just got mine today. The question is, dare I start taking them!

Johnx

Established Member
Reaction score
shineman921 said:
..just got mine today. The question is, dare I start taking them!
Oh come on, what do you expect to happen? :)

Worst you can have is to feel some side effects, most likely really mild, and surely to be gone right away after you quit taking finasteride.

I was even hoping and looking for side effects (so I can be sure the pills are real) and still I don't notice anything perceptible after two weeks... (my pills are also from UP like yours)

Johnx

Established Member
Reaction score
If you fear about starting it, think of this - if you do nothing you will definitely keep losing your hair slowly. And if you start taking finasteride now, with no problems/sides, you will stop your hairloss and very likely regrow your hair in a few months. If you get undesirable sides you can always drop it and at least know you tried.

To tell you the truth, I was also in stupid fear about finasteride shed and didn't want to start it. However a few members on this forum told me how stupid it was and I'm now finasteride for two weeks.

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the posts. Sod it, I'm gonna start taking. In for a penny, in for a pound!

They seem very small to be able to cut effectively into quarters though. Any tips? Can you get tablet cutters (is that what they call them) form Boots or somewhere on the high street?

Johnx

Established Member
Reaction score
shineman921 said:
Thanks for the posts. Sod it, I'm gonna start taking. In for a penny, in for a pound!

They seem very small to be able to cut effectively into quarters though. Any tips? Can you get tablet cutters (is that what they call them) form Boots or somewhere on the high street?
I don't know what size your Finast pills are, but my Fistide pills are really tiny - 6mm in diameter. But I still do a pretty good job cutting them into quarters quite evenly. I'm just using sharp utility knife blade like this:

C17690.jpg
C17689.jpg

shineman921

Established Member
Reaction score
HairlossFighter said:
shineman921 said:

I don't know what size your Finast pills are, but my Fistide pills are really tiny - 6mm in diameter. But I still do a pretty good job cutting them into quarters quite evenly. I'm just using sharp utility knife blade like this:

C17690.jpg
C17689.jpg

Ok, a Stanley blade. Wlll go and buy some from the supermarket. They are quite small. They are smaller than my Zinc tablets I take which I do a bad job of cutting in half!

I'm thinking of starting Monday because I like a wine Friday's, Saturday's and sometimes Sunday's and I'm not sure how the alcohol will interact with the finasteride. At least if I start Monday I will have four days of being alcohol free and give the tablets opportunity to kick in properly.

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Or you can get a pill cutter. I got mine from Wal-Mart (their site is down for an upgrade, so I can't link you) that looks like this

http://bit.ly/kvXc0Q

Super-duper easy to cut this way. It cuts through 99% of the pill and leaves a tiny membrane of the pill holding the 2 halves together, so you just rotate it 90 degrees and make another cut. TADA! The pill is in 4ths :)