Reaction score

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 8.23.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 8.23.16 AM.png
    481.9 KB · Views: 106

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is for alopecia areata. No JAK inhibitors has shown success in treating male pattern baldness.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, it doesn't fix male pattern baldness.

Several years ago there were some internet pics of a bald guy who was treated with a JAK inhibitor. In the 'before' shot he was nearly a cueball. In the 'after' shot he was balding in a Norwood #5 or something. It painted a very clear picture. The drug had totally reversed the Areata loss and it had not reversed the Androgenic loss at all.

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Areata is pretty brutal but quite jealous that the solutions are absolute full-fledged 100% comebacks compared to shitty androgenetic slow bleeding death

What we know for sure, there is more and more evidence everyday that the Follicles can return to full terminal again once that supression is solved

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Areata is not considered "normal" male-specific loss. That's the difference.

Hair loss qualifies as a "real" problem when it affects women and it's visually obvious.

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
Areata is not considered "normal" male-specific loss. That's the difference.

Hair loss qualifies as a "real" problem when it affects women and it's visually obvious.
That’s not WHY there are Areata solutions and not male pattern baldness solution though.

I’ve been here long enough to know there was a time where there were no Areata solutions on the horizon either. And then suddenly, out of the blue there are now multiple solutions for them on the horizon.

It wasn’t like there was a pipeline of Areata research we all knew about. It wasn’t like we were all watching in suspense for human trail results.

Nope, totally out of the blue they had a good run. We didn’t.

The main point is that just a couple of years ago we didn’t see their solution coming. We might not see ours.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That’s not WHY there are Areata solutions and not male pattern baldness solution though.

Luck had more to do with the Areata discovery than anything else if I recall correctly.

But good luck strikes more often when qualified people with adequate funding are working on it.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score

I’ve been here long enough to know there was a time where there were no Areata solutions on the horizon either. And then suddenly, out of the blue there are now multiple solutions for them on the horizon.

It wasn’t like there was a pipeline of Areata research we all knew about. It wasn’t like we were all watching in suspense for human trail results.

Nope, totally out of the blue they had a good run. We didn’t.

The main point is that just a couple of years ago we didn’t see their solution coming. We might not see ours.
Areata has been reversible for decades with corticosteroids. JAK inhibitors improved the response rate. They haven't had multiple solutions come out. They've essentially had the same solution with different names. All these drugs are JAK inhibitors. male pattern baldness is a much tougher problem to solve. There is no miniaturization or fibrosis in areata

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Luck had more to do with the Areata discovery than anything else if I recall correctly.

But good luck strikes more often when qualified people with adequate funding are working on it.
There was almost no one working on it but Angela Christiano, and she never had much funding.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
From another thread these strings are a good illustration of why AA is pretty much cured while Androgenetic Alopecia is not even close. The first string is genes implicated in AA while the second, much more complex string is genes implicated in Androgenetic Alopecia.
areata_string.png

aga_combined_stringdb.png

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, it doesn't fix male pattern baldness.

Several years ago there were some internet pics of a bald guy who was treated with a JAK inhibitor. In the 'before' shot he was nearly a cueball. In the 'after' shot he was balding in a Norwood #5 or something. It painted a very clear picture. The drug had totally reversed the Areata loss and it had not reversed the Androgenic loss at all.
Poor guy. At that point I would discontinue treatment.

zaman

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Aren't all these medications immunosuppressants? As someone with 2 autoimmune diseases, from my experience the treatments are pretty pathetic and I don't see much progress made, just like with male pattern baldness. At least what they do have works a bit better than the male pattern baldness treatments.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
Aren't all these medications immunosuppressants? As someone with 2 autoimmune diseases, from my experience the treatments are pretty pathetic and I don't see much progress made, just like with male pattern baldness. At least what they do have works a bit better than the male pattern baldness treatments.
It comes with a major cost of a suppressed immune system. Honestly, if I had Alopecia Areata and lost all my hair I would just move on. Being full bald with no horseshoe is a lot easier than being forced to shave because of the horseshoe, which you can't hide even with a shave unless you have dark skin.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
It comes with a major cost of a suppressed immune system. Honestly, if I had Alopecia Areata and lost all my hair I would just move on. Being full bald with no horseshoe is a lot easier than being forced to shave because of the horseshoe, which you can't hide even with a shave unless you have dark skin.
You do stick out much more though, and it can affect your eyebrows and other non-scalp hair, which contributes to a more "unnatural" look than male pattern baldness. And as long as you don't have DUPA or a full blown NW7 you have the option of hair transplants.

Both male pattern baldness and alopecia areata are sh*t tho.

Regan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Both conditions suck in different ways. An advantage of alopecia areata is that doing something about it is less stigmatized.

Diffused_confidence

My Regimen
Reaction score
You do stick out much more though, and it can affect your eyebrows and other non-scalp hair, which contributes to a more "unnatural" look than male pattern baldness. And as long as you don't have DUPA or a full blown NW7 you have the option of hair transplants.

Both male pattern baldness and alopecia areata are sh*t tho.
The people who can get a hair transplant and get good results are norwood 3 and 4. After that you are pretty much screwed.

And I think those with alopecia areata will get more sympathy due to the rarity of the disease and because it affects women too. Men with male pattern baldness get sh*t on for life.

BurningCoals

My Regimen
Reaction score
The people who can get a hair transplant and get good results are norwood 3 and 4. After that you are pretty much screwed.

And I think those with alopecia areata will get more sympathy due to the rarity of the disease and because it affects women too. Men with male pattern baldness get sh*t on for life.
You can get decent results at higher Norwoods as well, I mean you can't get a super low hairline and a very thick crown but it's better than being full bald.

Sure you can get more sympathy but you're gonna stick out in a more rare way, whereas with male pattern baldness unless you're very young you're just some regular bald guy.

But both suck that I think we can all agree on.