CBS Evening News tommorow...balding cure

Lopfraze

Established Member
Reaction score
JustBreathe said:
Heres another one: HM gets released in 2010 to world wide aclaim. It is a cosmetic/cultural revolution as both alopecia suffering men and woman are reunited with their estranged follicles. There is a great easing of the collective unconcious of mankind as men, previously repressed and depressed by their hairloss, embark on new fulfilling lives with a greater understanding of suffering, but also furnished with the knowledge that suffering can be overcome. On the tide of this revolution mankind enters a new golden age where intelligent, confident men with full heads of hair tackle the porblems of existence with renewed vigor and resolve.

I like that scenario!

Chrisknight

Reaction score
JustBreathe said:
Man, that is old school news.
Still, I think Curis's (if things go well) Hh agonist gets through FDA trials, yada yada, I think it's going to be 10x better then HM.

1). It'll be much cheaper

2). People with diffuse thinng all over their heads will benefit

3). No Bosley hair transplant bullshit marketing gags.

IF** things go well, it's going to slaughter HM. You here Ken Washenik (SP?) say that HM will be a generation thing. It's going to be perfect in 10-20 years or whatever he claims. *IF Curis can get passed the side-effect stage with the FDA it is in great shape because it will be perfect. (and with animal testing, there were NO side effects).

HM not only needs to get out a few years before Curis, but make it perfect PDQ.

For more info about the Hedgehog agonist go to the link.

http://www.pathway2curis.com/viewtopic.php?t=2749

JustBreathe

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is what I don't understand about Curis.

Does it re-enlarge already shrunken and ravaged follicles, can it over come fibrosis?

I have read (somewhere!?) that it is a once off usage. If it re-enlarges the follicles and grows back the hair, will the new hair restart the balding process again? I think almost certainly they will.

Even if that is the case it's like another 2-3 years of nice hair....

Chrisknight

Reaction score
JustBreathe said:
Here is what I don't understand about Curis.

Does it re-enlarge already shrunken and ravaged follicles, can it over come fibrosis?

I have read (somewhere!?) that it is a once off usage. If it re-enlarges the follicles and grows back the hair, will the new hair restart the balding process again? I think almost certainly they will.

Even if that is the case it's like another 2-3 years of nice hair....
Fibrosis won't be an issue. A slick nw7 for 20+ years would get his hair back. Hh kicks the hair back to the anagen phase and the cycle begins.

Yes, your genes will kick in again and you will stat the balding process after the cycle is completed. However this Hh agonist is cheap. No man power, just the molecule (you would visit the Doctor evey few years and boom)..

Considering what most people spend in a year (that maintains, not grows).it's a bargin. I heard (from the site I posted) it costs $200 to make/develope that molecule (Hh).

Lets say this stuff cost $300 (random number on my half) when you visit the Doctor.... Let's say a person's hair cycle is 3 years. Thats 900 bucks for 9 years of hair. Sounds fair to me.

HM is going to be 10+ grand (my guess is 15g) atleast.

News2

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the hedghehog thing, right? I read an article about this, and apparently it is going to be used in the treatment of skin cancer as well. It was described as a kind of "switch" - you turn it off, and the cancer disappears. If you turn it the other way your hair will start to grow again. (I'm sorry if this is oversimplified - I am not a doctor.) Anyway, the point of the article was that it might trigger skin cancer if it is used as a hair loss treatment.

DaSand

Established Member
Reaction score
Let's hope it doesn't News. I hope another way is found.

Chrisknight

Reaction score
News2 said:
This is the hedghehog thing, right? I read an article about this, and apparently it is going to be used in the treatment of skin cancer as well. It was described as a kind of "switch" - you turn it off, and the cancer disappears. If you turn it the other way your hair will start to grow again. (I'm sorry if this is oversimplified - I am not a doctor.) Anyway, the point of the article was that it might trigger skin cancer if it is used as a hair loss treatment.

Yes and no. Hh is going to be used in a number of ways for a number of different problems.

Yes cancer like growth, but not cancer. This is why you would have to go to the doctor and they would apply it because of the potential side effects.

I'm giving you all the worst case scenario’s as I don't want to get your hopes up. Some of this is theoretical because some of the stuff people have been asking have never been tested in an animal model.

The worst case senerio is a cancer like growth, but not cancer itself. Now to be clear, there were NO SIDE EFFECTS to animal models. Curis's FDA trials will be about two things.

1). Side effects. Are there any? What are they? Things of that nature. The FDA may want to go real long term to see if any take place. Who knows at this point. Curis should start phase 1 in early '07.

2). The right dosage of the Hh (hedgehog) agonist molecule for human beings.

This stuff won't be available like minoxidil. You would have to visit the Doctor so he could apply it properly. I've got my fingers crossed there are no side effects. There is almost no question it WILL regrow hair back. It's the side effects that will be the POTENTIAL obstacle.

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Phase 1 on 07...then what are we looking at..considering there is no side effects ??? like atleast 8-10 years.....so nuthin until 2017 ?

Chrisknight

Reaction score
hairhaircomeagain said:
Phase 1 on 07...then what are we looking at..considering there is no side effects ??? like atleast 8-10 years.....so nuthin until 2017 ?
Ive been told 4-7 years as a good guess.

Why do you assume 8-10?

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
3-6 yrs for an FDA approval...you guys must be kiddin me....
Look at dutasteride
That said whatever happened to Glaxo and dutasteride after Phase II

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Hair multiplication, as a surgery, is likely to go through an FDA approval process of less than 2 years (If it works, of course).

It's not a medicine, and as such, it doesn't need the waiting time that dutasteride or finasteride needs.

michael barry

Reaction score
hairhaircomeagain,

GlaxoSmithKline decided not to market dutasteride as a hair growing indication. They declined to go for phase 3 trials.

There are three stages of trials for any indication for FDA approval. Phase one is usually a safety test, phase two and three are more efficacy-oriented. Then there is a 10 month to 1 year review period where the brass looks the indication over before FDA final approval.

Intercytex is about to start their phase 2. There has been almost a three year lull since phase 1. This is extremely complex-tissue engineering science. They "might" have waited this long to see if any long term problems have occured in the initial trialees' (cancer, etc.). Also they proboably have wanted to see if some of the hairs generated in phase one trials re-grew after an initial shedding (telogen, catagen) phases.

It will be 14 months or so at the soonest before we know much about phase 2, and that is only if ICX cares to release the results. If they go well.........we have good reason to be optomistic. Most indications that pass phase 2 eventually get released historically.

I wouldn't bet on dutasteride ever being released for hair growth. You can get it all over the net' in the form of Dutas, a generic, at places like genhair.com. Lipoxidil sells real avodart (dutasteride) at a high price (like all of the stuff on that site, expensive). There are concerns about cutting 98% of type 2 DHT and 50-something % of type one. Type one created alpha-five DHT is made more in the deeper tissues of the body. Its present in your brain. Who knows what the effect of a man getting on this at 22 and taking it for three decades would be? Avodart was designed to fight prostate hyperplasia, which is usually a problem for guys above 50 (and often 60's+). Using propecia plus another topical anti-androgen would be more prudent in my opinon long term, and most docs too, since getting a avodart prescript for hair is quite hard from what Ive been given to understand.

michael barry

Reaction score
Fabio,

Curis is a company that is researching cellular-based technolgies. They are looking at certain chemicals present in cells that can be of use in treating various disorders, etc.

They have had much success in trials in getting shaven mice to regrow hair extremely quickly. But thats the problem (Ive seen these pictures), shaven mice aren't bald men. There is a world of difference. Getting hair to grow "fast" does not mean you can get miniaturized damaged philosebaceous units that have suffered alot of immuno damage to "regrow" somehow. Im not real excited about what they are doing.

Fabio,
As far as we can tell, baldness looks like androgens (particularily DHT) "do something" (Dr. Proctor) to your hair, and the immune system begins to see the hair as a foriegn body and begins a mild attack on it. Cut the androgens, the attack lessens greatly. Cut the androgens altogether (castration) and the attack stops, but you dont get that much hair back. The skin around the "gone" follicles has suffered from much micro-inflammatory damage and the follicle itself is "scarred" microscopically. Its been stated on Proctor's site that Cyclosporin, an organ rejection drug regrows more hair than castration does. Cyclosporin is an immuno-suppressant, so dont take it. It would kill you if you took it for too long. Thats what they give organ recipeints so their immune systems wont reject new hearts, livers, etc.

OSH 101 and Curis (which has Proctor and Gamble backing) are indeed working on treatments for baldness. Supposedly OSH 101 has tested about twice as effected as minoxidil. We'll see. Id like to get excited about Curis, but unless Ive found out that whatever they are doing is somehow negating what goes on in the dermal papilla after androgens are transcripted (In non-bald people, apparently nothing happens when androgens are transcripted vs. androgens slowing our hair growth), Im not going to get overtly excited.

Ive watched baldness treatments since the late eighties when minoxidil appeared. Ive read articles from the late eighties and early nineties that predicted a cure for baldness by 2000 very confidently. Look where we are now. This is a sophisticated physiological occurence.