Castration increases and androgens decrease nitric oxide syn

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Castration increases and androgens decrease nitric oxide synthase activity in the brain: Physiologic implications

Abstract
Sex differences in nitric oxide synthase (NOS) activity in different regions of the rat brain and effects of testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) treatment in orchidectomized animals were investigated. Regional but no sex differences in NOS activity were detected in gonadectomized animals. Orchidectomy significantly increased NOS activity in the hypothalamus, “amygdala,†and cerebellum but not in the cortex. In the hypothalamus, the increase in NOS activity after castration and its reversal by androgen treatment was mimicked by changes in neuronal NOS mRNA level. In contrast, androgen receptor (AR) mRNA level in the hypothalamus was slightly reduced by castration and increased by treatment with DHT. Again in the hypothalamus, the increase in NOS activity in castrated rats was accompanied by an increase in the number of neuronal NOS+ cells determined immunohistochemically, whereas androgen treatment prevented this increase. The changes in NOS+ neurons correlated with the changes in the number of AR+ cells to a degree. Overlap of AR in NOS+ cells was not present in the regions of the hypothalamus analyzed. These results indicate that testosterone or, most likely, its metabolite DHT down-regulates NOS activity, mRNA expression or stabilization, and the number of neuronal NOS+ neurons

Baldness and Nitric Oxide

Well, there is at least one factor that androgenic baldness and Alzheimer’s disease have in common: atherosclerosis. The lining of blood vessels produces nitric oxide ('NO', as in MiNOxidol, the active ingredient in Rogaine) and possibly other hair growth factors; when this lining is damaged through the accumulation of atherosclerotic plaque, less nitric oxide (NO) is produced.
Please don’t draw the wrong conclusion that a balding man is doomed to go on to Alzheimer’s disease or Parkinson’s. Like most men, he’ll probably die of heart disease, which is a much better way to die. Also, 40% of men die before their 75th birthday, which also helps account for the lower rate of brain disease in the male population. Still, what happens in the scalp of a balding person (including inflammation and free-radical damage) does seem to bear resemblance to what probably goes on in the brain tissue of brain-disease victims.

The incidence of male pattern (androgenic) baldness has been found to be the highest among college professors, and lowest among skid-row winos. Winos are also known to have the cleanest arteries in the world (which of course doesn’t save them from dying of cirrhosis of the liver). Could there be a connection? Let me remind you that alcohol is an excellent vasodilator -- there is perhaps nothing quite like alcohol for dilating those peripheral blood vessels. And vasodilatation implies nitric oxide release. (I’m not recommending that anyone take up drinking. For years now I’ve been haunted by the question of whether it’s possible to duplicate the benefits of alcohol in a non-alcoholic way, which would be vastly preferable. For women, estrogens seem to do something very similar, but what about men?)

For unknown reasons, androgenic baldness is more common among blond men than dark-haired men and among Caucasians than among other races. First of all, however, we need to address the most obvious question: why is baldness so prevalent among men, and relatively rare among women, especially premenopausal women?

We need to look here at how hormones affect hair. Estrogens promote the growth of scalp hair, while they inhibit the growth of hair elsewhere on the body; DHT, the strong form of testosterone, promotes the growth of body hair, facial hair, but—it appears to inhibit the growth of scalp hair. The amount of DHT produced in the skin in turn depends on the amount of the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase available for the conversion of testosterone to DHT. Men with congenital deficiency of 5-alpha-reductase have small prostates, do not develop prostate cancer (no case has ever been reported), have little body hair, and do not grow bald.

Women often notice increased hair loss when there is a sudden drop in estrogens: post-partum, after stopping the Pill, and at the onset of menopause. It is estimated that a woman may lose as much as 20% of her hair at menopause. Both post-partum and menopausal hair loss, however, are not classified as androgenic alopecia, but as "endocrine alopecia," which should really be called "estrogen-withdrawal alopecia."

Severely hyperandrogenic women, on the other hand, can suffer from male pattern baldness even at a young age. Still, a woman can be hyperandrogenic without necessarily showing signs of androgenic alopecia, but she may have acne and increased facial and body hair. Or a woman can have androgenic alopecia without acne and/or hirsutism. This seems to be a highly individual matter.

Typically, however, it is men who start losing hair fairly early in life, sometimes already in their twenties. Men produce a lot more DHT than women do, since obviously men produce a lot more testosterone than women do (DHEA can also serve as a raw material for DHT). But it’s not the serum level of DHT that seems to matter, but the local conversion of androgens to DHT in the scalp.

Let me stress this point: it is the LOCAL excess DHT production that seems to be the root of the problem. THE SCALP FOLLICLES OF GENETICALLY SUSCEPTIBLE INDIVIDUALS HAVE MORE OF THE ENZYME 5-ALPHA-REDUCTASE, RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONVERSION OF TESTOSTERONE TO DHT. Most women are protected by having (1) less testosterone, (2) less 5-alpha-reductase needed to convert T to DHT, and also (3) by having more aromatase, the enzyme that converts testosterone to estradiol.

It is interesting to note that male teenagers and young men, with their tremendously high testosterone output (T production begins to decline very gradually after the age of 25) tend to have a full head of hair but generally not that much chest hair and facial hair. On the other hand, it’s not unusual to see lots of chest hair and a full flowing beard on a severely balding middle-aged man. Apparently the local production of DHT, perhaps as compensation for low serum androgens, is a significant factor here. We do not yet understand how serum DHT and peripheral DHT are related, but one hypothesis is that there is an inverse relationship. It’s just a hypothesis. Estrogens are vasodilators: they promote the release of NO from the blood vessel lining. It’s also possible that estrogens increase superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity (at least that’s one of the effects of the birth-control pill). SOD quenches the superoxide radical, a very nasty little beastie that apparently inhibits NO release.

DHT acts in a more perfidious way. Here is one emerging view of it: DHT seems to induce class-II antigens within the follicle. The immune system then perceives the follicle as a "foreign body," and targets it for destruction. Progesterone inhibits 5-alpha-reductase, and it can compete with other androgens for androgen receptors (progesterone could be classified as a "non-masculinizing androgen"). Topical progesterone can thus arrest the progression of baldness, but it doesn’t promote regrowth. I repeat: there is no evidence that progesterone promotes regrowth. Just decreasing DHT in the scalp can at best arrest the progression of baldness. Proscar (finasteride) also decreases DHT by inhibiting 5-alpha-reductase. Proscar produces close to 70% reduction in serum DHT, but only about 34% reduction in skin DHT. Still, virtually all men taking Proscar (5 mg finasteride) report that the progression of baldness is arrested. But is a big reduction of serum DHT beneficial, or can it in fact be harmful? (Hint: DHT can’t be aromatized to estradiol, and estradiol has been implicated in prostate cancer. We discuss it later in this issue—see the comment by Dr. Zava.)

CORTISOL and cortisone, the so-called "stress hormones," are also androgens and are possibly implicated in baldness. We know for sure that they are involved in acne. Anecdotally, stress is known to cause hair loss. One study (Schmidt 1994) did find SIGNIFICANTLY ELEVATED CORTISOL IN ANDROGENIC ALOPECIANS, BOTH MALE AND FEMALE, as compared with controls. It also found alopecians to have significantly elevated androstenedione. In women there was also very frequent hypothyroidism and/or elevated prolactin (it’s possible that prolactin stimulates the production of androgens). Balding men, on the other hand, had higher serum estradiol than controls.

Schmidt makes a very big point of the finding that women suffering from androgenic alopecia do not necessarily have higher serum androgens (other than cortisol, generally not classified as an androgen, though it should be). She thinks that THE MAIN HORMONAL DISTURBANCE LINKED TO FEMALE ALOPECIA IS HYPOTHYROIDISM. It’s likely that hypothyroidism leads to abnormalities in both estrogen and androgen metabolism. I’m amazed that this study didn’t look at insulin, since elevated insulin has been linked to alopecia in hyperandrogenic women. Anecdotally, lowering insulin with drugs and/or diet does seem to improve hair growth in both men and women.

As you can see, the situation gets more and more complicated the more hormones you look at. Finally you just want to throw up your hands and say, "OK, it looks like all the hormones are out of whack." To put it more formally, androgenic alopecia is a multi-hormonal disorder. You can’t just say "too much DHT."

Malnutrition and stress can obviously cause hair loss, but it appears that the primary causes are genetic-hormonal-immunological and vascular (it’s not really possible to separate the endocrine system from the immune system from the nervous system and so forth). In other words, to preserve our hair, we must keep DHT and cortisol at bay and strive to preserve clean arteries. But see the mite article below for yet another complication. On a personal note, I noticed both hair loss and a distinct deterioration in hair quality during perimenopause. (Interestingly, my cholesterol suddenly began to soar.) I was beginning to have nightmares about developing a bald spot (I should have been having nightmares about getting a heart attack, but you know how it’s only human to worry more about appearance than about dying). You can imagine how thrilled I was to see complete recovery with the use of nhrt (my cholesterol dropped to 170 also). In fact I am now more bushy-maned than I had ever been after turning 40 (at least until several days ago, when my dieting, aspartame-crazed hair-dresser took out her aggression on my hair).

Of course what is easy for a woman with no special genetic susceptibility and with access to sufficient doses of female hormones is not easy for a man, or even for a woman with a genetic susceptibility. Later in this issue we’ll discuss what can be done.

For the easy cases, that is, women with some typical menopausal hair loss, here is what you need to remember: estrogens, fish oil, the flavonoids in red wine, and arginine are NO-releasers, and hence at least theoretically can stimulate hair growth. The best proven case here is estrogens. Progesterone inhibits the conversion of testosterone to DHT, so it is helpful also. Finally, topical NO-releasers are available in special shampoos. With this hormonal, nutritional, and topical arsenal, you should be able to regrow and maintain a magnificent head of hair. Night-night, and don’t let the androgens bite.

(Sources: Schmidt JB. Hormonal basis of male and female androgenic alopecia.

Skin Pharmacol 1994; 7: 61-66; Van Deusen E. What you can do about baldness. Stein and Day 1978; Jaworsky C, Klingman AM. Characterization of inflammatory infiltrates in male pattern alopecia: implications for pathogenesis. Br J Dermatol 1992;127: 239-46; Mercutio M. Androgenic alopecia in women. Medscape/women’s health 12/7/97; Rittmaster R. 5-Alpha-reductase inhibitors. J Androl 1997; 18: 582-87; Proctor P, alopecia post on the Internet, 1997. An important part of the research was supplied by Starla Taliaferro.)

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
vauxall said:
So, are you thinking of chopping it all, old Squeeg?

Yep.. and youtube it.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
I still think cortisol receives far too much of a bad rap. Yes it's a stress hormone, yes it's found in elevated levels in hair loss and acne and all sorts of other shitty things. However if I end up getting "glutened" I know I can avoid the normally inevitable breakouts and scalp inflammation with some preventative hydrocortisone application. Additionally it's the only thing that keeps my body from going all nuclear in its autoimmune attack on parts of my face after said ingestions.

The body is a system of checks and balances, cortisol is one such balance. Obviously we don't want to be in a constant state where it's always needed but I think it has its place on the "good guys" list.

GeminiX

Reaction score
squeegee said:
vauxall said:
So, are you thinking of chopping it all, old Squeeg?

Yep.. and youtube it.

Good for you, all the cool kids are doing it ;)

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score

DarkDays

Reaction score
Unfortunately we live in a society that aims almost exclusively to unbalance our hormones, whether it is through engineered meat or chemicals to over-population(stress).

cyberprimate

Established Member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
THE SCALP FOLLICLES OF GENETICALLY SUSCEPTIBLE INDIVIDUALS HAVE MORE OF THE ENZYME 5-ALPHA-REDUCTASE, RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONVERSION OF TESTOSTERONE TO DHT.
Squeegee, where did you get that information? Is it based on any study?

squeegee said:
women suffering from androgenic alopecia do not necessarily have higher serum androgens
But don't they have low level of estrogens in that case?

squeegee said:
Castration increases and androgens decrease nitric oxide synthase activity in the brain.
You're suggesting that androgens decrease nitric oxide synthase activity in the scalp as well, and therefore cause hairloss, right? But are saying that this is the rmechanism of male pattern baldness? I'm asking that question because if this is so, that means minoxidil does interfere with the fundamental process of male pattern baldness (considering its chemical similarity with nitric oxide).

CCS

Reaction score
What can we do to reduce cortisol? I heard it drops when testosterone goes up. So moderate exercise should help with that. I also heard vitamin C helps too, at 500mg.

Sesamin from sesame seeds, combined with borageseed oil is supposed to help your body make something useful that some people's body can't synthesize like others can. Fish oil is probably good her too, but definitely get the Sesamin to have the maximum benefit.

Too bad some people can't handle finasteride. I see it as my life extension vitamin.

That bit about balding guys being more likely to get diseases was worrisome to me. I'll start supplementing with arginine powerder, I guess, if it is cheap. Probably cheaper than eating a lot more protein.

As for insulin: fiber, sleep, and exercise are your friends. But I think that gradually reducing your calorie intake for the CRON diet is good too. You don't have to get down to 1200 calories. Any restriction at all is beneficial, with the strongest benefit per calorie reduced occurring with the first calories. It should straighten out your cholesterol levels too, and slow down your cell divisions. I'm sure the CRON diet would greatly reduce flatulence and acid reflux too.

Sounds like Miconizole shampoo would be the closest we have to NO shampoo. You can get the 2% cheap, and alternate it with Nizoral. I don't know if Miconizole is as anti-inflammatory as Nizoral, though. I can feel my immune system attacking my follicles, and Nizoral soothes it away. I like using it daily for that reason.

As for reducing scaring, I think Tricomin and Aminexil are out best bets, though finasteride is good for slowing down new scaring.

My joints have been slow getting repaired. I heard joints don't have good circulation. So increasing NO hopefully will help with that.

You need to take vitamin K2 m7 to keep stem cells settling on your arteries from turning into osteoblasts and putting calcium on your walls, and from calcifying soft tissue such as the gland that makes HGH and melatonin.

CCS

Reaction score
finfighter said:
You need to take vitamin K2 m7 to keep stem cells settling on your arteries from turning into osteoblasts and putting calcium on your walls, and from calcifying soft tissue such as the gland that makes HGH and melatonin.

Hey out of curiosity, where did you get that info?[/quote]

Life Extension foundation, which sells the stuff.

There are many types of vitamin K. The stuff in leafy greens is K1, and does not help with calcium. It just does blood clotting.

Most people make plenty of K2 in their gut, and do not need to supplement unless they killed those bacterial with alcohol or antibiotics. But as you get older, you make less. That is when your glands start calcifying.

Aging is a cascade process. One thing fails, and then makes less of something another part needs, which then fails as a result.

You might make enough K2 right now. But this article said balding men have more problems with their blood vessels. So it can't hurt to take 100mcg of vitamin K2m7 per day. It is cheap and sold with vitamin D3 which is also good.

If you find something with a high dose of vitamin K, or if it it does not say what kind of K it is, then most likely it is Not K2 m7. There is also a K2 m4, which is not nearly as good. Often they call it just K2 to increase sales. K1 is often marketed as K. Even Life Extension does this deceptive advertising.

If you supplement with 90 mcg of K2 m7 per day, you are just guaranteeing that you will have enough and that calcification will not set in, even if you possibly don't need it now.

CCS

Reaction score
Unsweetened cocoa powder (not hot chocolate mix) may also reverse artery damage, just like pomegranate, but much cheaper.

CCS

Reaction score
finfighter said:
Good to know, thanks for the info CCS. Hey what does CCS stand for anyway?

It is the initials for my previous user name here. After some people threatened law suits over my finasteride advice, I asked the moderators to give me a more anonymous, less authoritative user name.

F-M-DHT

Reaction score
I read about L-Arginine before, i'm not to clever on it either, just checked it out on wiki:
The benefits and functions attributed to oral supplementation of L-arginine include:
Precursor for the synthesis of nitric oxide (NO)[11]
Reduces healing time of injuries (particularly bone)[7][8]
Quickens repair time of damaged tissue[7][8]
Helps decrease blood pressure[12][13]

Body builders use it i think.

What do you think are the main benifits you're getting from it ?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
cyberprimate said:
squeegee said:
Castration increases and androgens decrease nitric oxide synthase activity in the brain.

You're suggesting that androgens decrease nitric oxide synthase activity in the scalp as well, and therefore cause hairloss, right? But are saying that this is the rmechanism of male pattern baldness? I'm asking that question because if this is so, that means minoxidil does interfere with the fundamental process of male pattern baldness (considering its chemical similarity with nitric oxide).

What's odd is that there's a study by a couple of German scientists (I have a copy of it around here somewhere) who found that androgens (and they used DHT, not testosterone) actually increased nitric oxide synthesis in human scalp hair follicles, not decreased it! The catch is that as best as I could tell, they used hair follicles from the side of the head, not follicles from the normally balding areas. It still greatly surprised me, though, that even non-balding follicles would generate MORE nitric oxide after androgen exposure. I can imagine beard follicles doing that, but follicles from very near the top of the head?? :dunno:

armandein

Established Member
Reaction score
J Mol Med. 2003 Feb;81(2):110-7. Epub 2002 Dec 19.
Nitric oxide in the human hair follicle: constitutive and dihydrotestosterone-induced nitric oxide synthase expression and NO production in dermal papilla cells.

Wolf R, Schönfelder G, Paul M, Blume-Peytavi U.

Department of Dermatology, University Medical Center Benjamin Franklin, Free University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany.
Abstract

The free radical nitric oxide, generated by different types of epidermal and dermal cells, has been identified as an important mediator in various physiological and pathophysiological processes of the skin, such as regulation of blood flow, melanogenesis, wound healing, and hyperproliferative skin diseases. However, little is known about the role of NO in the human hair follicle and in hair cycling processes. Here we demonstrate for the first time that dermal papilla cells derived from human hair follicles spontaneously produce NO by measuring nitrate and nitrite levels in culture supernatants. This biomolecule is apparently formed by the endothelial isoform of nitric oxide synthase, which was detected at the mRNA and protein levels. Remarkably, basal NO level was enhanced threefold by stimulating dermal papilla cells with 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) but not with testosterone. Addition of N-[3-(aminomethyl)benzyl]acetamidine (1400W), a highly selective inhibitor of inducible nitric oxide synthase, restrained the elevation in NO level induced by DHT. Analyses of DHT-stimulated cells at the mRNA and protein levels confirmed the expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase. These findings suggest NO as a signaling molecule in human dermal papilla cells and implicate basal and androgen-mediated NO production to be involved in the regulation of hair follicle activity.

PMID: 12601527 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Is it possible read the full study for free?
Interesting, DHT make the function but not with testosterone.

TheNazz

Reaction score
squeegee said:
For the easy cases, that is, women with some typical menopausal hair loss, here is what you need to remember: estrogens, fish oil, the flavonoids in red wine, and arginine are NO-releasers, and hence at least theoretically can stimulate hair growth. The best proven case here is estrogens. Progesterone inhibits the conversion of testosterone to DHT, so it is helpful also. Finally, topical NO-releasers are available in special shampoos. With this hormonal, nutritional, and topical arsenal, you should be able to regrow and maintain a magnificent head of hair. Night-night, and don’t let the androgens bite

Thanks for the info. Have a couple of questions: Can the products you mention above be also used by men? And what are the shampoos you mention that are NO releasers? Also where can I get Arginine? Isn't this some kind of enzyme? Look forward to your reply. Cheers

TheNazz

Reaction score
squeegee said:
For the easy cases, that is, women with some typical menopausal hair loss, here is what you need to remember: estrogens, fish oil, the flavonoids in red wine, and arginine are NO-releasers, and hence at least theoretically can stimulate hair growth. The best proven case here is estrogens. Progesterone inhibits the conversion of testosterone to DHT, so it is helpful also. Finally, topical NO-releasers are available in special shampoos. With this hormonal, nutritional, and topical arsenal, you should be able to regrow and maintain a magnificent head of hair. Night-night, and don’t let the androgens bite

Thanks for the info. Have a couple of questions: Can the products you mention above be also used by men? And what are the shampoos you mention that are NO releasers? Also where can I get Arginine? Isn't this some kind of enzyme? Look forward to your reply. Cheers