Can't we all look good bald?

sumdood

Reaction score
i mean once you've lost a certain amount of hair, why not cut it all off?
some women like bald men, some dont. just like bald men arent attracted to all women. so it goes both ways.

even if u have an odd-shaped head, wouldnt you look better with a bald head than with a bald-ing head?

i mean, if you're pale like me then you could always try hitting the tanning salons. might feel odd bein a guy that is goin there but if i get a good result from it then why not?

i mean, yea, i'd prefer to have hair on my head just because it would be a big shock considering i have ALWAYS had hair and never even had a buzz cut before. but i think completely bald is better than to try to comb over when you've lost 40% of the hair on your head and have 0% chance of bein able to hide it. I think once i get used to it, and everyone i know gets passed the fact the im completely bald, then i'll enjoy life just as always. What do you guys think?? anybody here at least consider shaving it all off?

i mean i have NEVER seen a complete bald guy and thought "that guy needs to grow the horseshoe-shaped hair back"

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Some men just don't look good bald.

I don't even notice some bald men because they look good bald, then I'd see this guy that looks terrible bald and go "Dammmmnnn, that guys bald!".

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
I tried the shaved head look. Got myself a headblade, some scalp lotion to moisturize my dome, and some doo rags. I thought it would actually be cool to not have to worry about my hair so much.
Ugh.
Some guys can get away with that.
I'm not one of them.
Fortunately I have enough hair left to work with. I was skeptical about products like toppik and prothik, but they are working very well for me right now. Yes, they have their drawbacks, but it's better than the alternatives I had been facing.

sumdood

Reaction score
you have any pictures of you or anyone else of a completely bald guy that doesnt look good at all? (who looked good with hair)

i cant picture a person looking THAT bad bein bald. i even did a google image search and did not find any picture of a bald guy that looked fugly because his hair was missing

some people can blend in with a bald head and some people do stand out, but i just dont think u'd look ugly without hair if u didnt look ugly with hair.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't have any pictures of myself with a totally shaved head, but it wasn't the look for me. Why is it hard to understand that some guys look better bald than others? If we looked equally attractive without hair as we do with it, I doubt this messageboard would exist.

sumdood

Reaction score
i know that some guys look better bald than others. and probably most people do look better with hair than without hair. but i dont think being bald will completely destroy your appearance. i just think if u looked attractive with a full head of hair then you should be able to make it work with no hair.

unless you have an ugly face but just had incredibly good hair to make up for it.

i think a lot of it is mental though. we all grew up wiht a full head of hair and see everybody else grow up wiht a full head of hair so it would be a shock to just shave it all off. The idea is discomforting. then you have to go through seeing your friends and family like that. I'm not saying it would be an easy change. but i think once you make the change and get comfortable with it, you'll still get the b*tches and reallize your life isnt over

i dont know, just my personal thoughts. i've seen some nasty lookin comb overs and sad attempts to hide balding and i always thought those people would look better either buzzed or bald. in my opinion: full head of hair is usually better but bald is NOT ugly.

Mr Norwoods

Reaction score
A bald head looks pretty good on most guys. Most look better with hair, but hairloss does not substantially detract from ones appearance unless you leave an untidy horseshoe of hair on your dome.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
At one point Andre Agassi was considered a sex symbol by many women. Then he shaved his head. He commented himself on the difference in peoples opinions of his appearance. He said at one point the british press talked about how good looking he was, but after he shaved his head they began referring to him as "short, fat, bald, and ugly". He was able to laugh about it (being married to Brooke Shields at that time probably softened the blow), but the point was clear. Some guys faces look better when framed by hair. Some guys look better with long hair. Some guys look better with short. Yeah, really good looking guys won't be as effected by hairloss as others, but how many of us look like Brad Pitt? If you're an average Joe and you lose your hair, your appeal to women probably slips a notch...or several. Sure, some women like shiny domes just like some guys prefer their ladies on the plumb side, but those are exceptions, not the rule. Like I pointed out earlier, if losing our hair didn't greatly effect our appearance and how we feel about ourselves, there would be no need for a forum like this.

Mr Norwoods

Reaction score
An average Joe will be an average Joe regardless of hair. People look at your facial features, not what is sitting on top of your head. The whole "framing the face" argument is silly - you could go the other way and argue that baldness makes you more attractive because it brings out your facial features much more.

I don't agree with your assesment that this forum would not exist if baldness did not have a negative impact upon your appearance. That's silly. That's akin to saying slybaldguys would not exist if the shaved look wasn't the way to go. This forum by it's very nature attracts people who are desperate to cling onto their hair. Hence they are people who are probably repulsed by the idea of shaving it off. The average guy has no such reservations about sporting the chrome dome.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
This forum exists because most guys are not comfortable with losing their hair. Why do you think we spend so much money on treatments, concealers, and even hair transplants? Just for the heck of it? Sure, there are guys who look fine bald and women who like them, but if that were the norm then nobody would spend the time, effort, and money trying to keep their hair, conceal their balding, or even pay for a transplant. You don't do those kind of things if you think you'll look just fine bald. What's truly silly is to suggest otherwise.
I'm happy for the guys who are comfortable with their baldness and haven't faced any negative reactions over their lack of hair. Good for them. The question of this thread, however, is "Can't we all look good bald?".
The answer is quite obviously NO.

Mr Norwoods

Reaction score
thetodd said:
This forum exists because most guys are not comfortable with losing their hair. Why do you think we spend so much money on treatments, concealers, and even hair transplants? Just for the heck of it? Sure, there are guys who look fine bald and women who like them, but if that were the norm then nobody would spend the time, effort, and money trying to keep their hair, conceal their balding, or even pay for a transplant. You don't do those kind of things if you think you'll look just fine bald. What's truly silly is to suggest otherwise.
I'm happy for the guys who are comfortable with their baldness and haven't faced any negative reactions over their lack of hair. Good for them. The question of this thread, however, is "Can't we all look good bald?".
The answer is quite obviously NO.

No, this forum exists because some people are so uncomfortable with losing their hair that they seriously consider medications and hair transplants. Most guys don't. It may not be a preferable situation to be balding but it's not world-ending either and most guys realise this. That's why most men never bother to fight it.

I dont have an issue with people fighting to keep their hair. I have an issue with people who argue that baldness will destroy your looks unless you look like Freddie Ljungberg. It isn't true.

Can we all look good bald? No, because some people will never look good regardless. However, if you looked good with hair, you'll look good without.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
This forum exists because a lot of guys aren't comfortable with losing their hair. And no, it's not necessarily true that if you look good with hair, you'll look good without. I gave you one example of that earlier. Go to the Impact section of this forum and you'll see many stories of guys who have noticed a change in the way people treat them when they lose their hair. If our hair doesn't greatly effect our appearance, people wouldn't worry about what kind of hairstyle they have, how long it is, or what color.

Mr Norwoods

Reaction score
Alot is a world away from most, which was your original statement. Most guys are concerned with it but not enough to seriously consider the treatments used by people here. Finasteride is one thing but there are people here popping spironolactone for god sakes.

Andre Agassi looks good with or without hair. I don't believe for one second that he became substantially less popular with women after shaving his head - on the contrary I've heard a number of women comment on how much they love the shaved look on him. In addition, a couple of disparaging quotes in the British press really don't mean much. The Daily Mail has knocked David Beckham's thinning hair, do you think women find him any less attractive because of it? Doubtful.

Man, the "impact of hairloss"? It's rubbish. People don't judge you by your hair. I've been lurking on this forum for a while and the general impression given by that section is that a helluva lot of guys here seem to think other people's thoughts revolve around their hairloss. False. People don't notice it unless they are norwood spotters.

Look dude, did I ever say that hairloss didn't negatively impact one's appearance? Of couse it does, for alot of guys. But your argument is that an attractive individual can be reduced to an unattractive individual simply because they've lost their hair - that simply isn't true.

I'm a NW3 at 17 by the way, and people don't treat me any differently to how they would treat any other teenager.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
You're using David Beckham as an example? I've already acknowledged that extremely attractive guys won't be as effected by hairloss as men who aren't as extraordinarily handsome. When it comes to Agassi, I was relating something that he said himself. It was a personal experience that he had, not something I made up.
I'm sorry friend, but people do judge us by our appearance, and hair is part of that. They might not say anything to your face, but it's naive to think we live in a world where people will always accept you no matter how you look. Maybe you're getting along fine with your hairloss right now, and good for you. But there are plenty of guys who have noticed people treating them differently than when they had hair. I doubt it's all in their imagination. And yes, I do think that most guys who lose their hair are bothered by it to one degree or another.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I dont care what people say hair does make a difference. Its like saying a good looking guy at 160lbs will still be good looking at 300lbs (he would'nt).
If you got a group of bald guys and put nw1 wigs on I'm sure that most would agree it makes a big difference.
Although obviously most people would choose not to go that route.
Some people look about 10+ yrs younger with hair. I can honestly say that I look better now after my hair transplant's than I did 10 yrs ago.
Most of the so called bald heartthrobs gained their staus when they still had hair Bruce Willis, Agassi ect if those guys had been bald right from the start they probably would'nt have been viewed as good looking.
Some people have the features to carry off the bald look but in my opinion thats a small minority.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
Case in point...
images675-1.jpg

images6678.jpg

True, he ended up married to Steffi Graf after losing his hair and many females probably still think he's cute, but if Aggasi wasn't rich and famous, which version of him would women find the most desirable? Now imagine if he had only been average looking before shaving his head.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Same with Kelly Slater (the surfer) he looks ok bald but he had the looks to match any male model when he had hair.

Mr Norwoods

Reaction score
thetodd said:
You're using David Beckham as an example? I've already acknowledged that extremely attractive guys won't be as effected by hairloss as men who aren't as extraordinarily handsome. When it comes to Agassi, I was relating something that he said himself. It was a personal experience that he had, not something I made up.
I'm sorry friend, but people do judge us by our appearance, and hair is part of that. They might not say anything to your face, but it's naive to think we live in a world where people will always accept you no matter how you look. Maybe you're getting along fine with your hairloss right now, and good for you. But there are plenty of guys who have noticed people treating them differently than when they had hair. I doubt it's all in their imagination. And yes, I do think that most guys who lose their hair are bothered by it to one degree or another.

Yes, and Agassi's experience was in regards to comments made in the British press. Why is this relevant? I used the example of David Beckham to illustrate how what the press says does not neccesarily equate with the opinion of the average person.

First of all, "friend", I never stated that people do not judge one another based on appearances. I specifically said "hair", and my argument is that the loss of your hair does not substantially detract from ones appearance. It's certainly better to have the choice to grow it out or not but ultimately the loss of your hair isn't going to change your facial features.

The alleged prejudice against bald people is blown way out of proportion by the people here, some of whom are totally consumed by thoughts of their hair and seem to think other people are too. There is more prejudice against men with LONG hair from my experience. When I had mid-back length hair I was constantly being told to "get a haircut", called a "f*****g goth", "stoner", etc. I suppose long hair is also viewed as repulsive and is something that certainly detracts from ones appearance. :whistle:

Mr Norwoods

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
I dont care what people say hair does make a difference. Its like saying a good looking guy at 160lbs will still be good looking at 300lbs (he would'nt).
If you got a group of bald guys and put nw1 wigs on I'm sure that most would agree it makes a big difference.
Although obviously most people would choose not to go that route.
Some people look about 10+ yrs younger with hair. I can honestly say that I look better now after my hair transplant's than I did 10 yrs ago.
Most of the so called bald heartthrobs gained their staus when they still had hair Bruce Willis, Agassi ect if those guys had been bald right from the start they probably would'nt have been viewed as good looking.
Some people have the features to carry off the bald look but in my opinion thats a small minority.

I don't think that's a fair comparison. 300lbs of weight is going to completely alter the appearance of your facial features. Losing your hair won't. Furthermore, being bald does not give the impression of poor health. Weighing 300lbs does.

What are the right "features to carry off the bald look"? People always say "tanned, muscular square jawed" blah blah blah. Well I'm skinny (6'0 55kg) and pale as f*** and I've had nothing but compliments since adopting the bald look.

Attachments

• moi3.JPG
    moi3.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 3,284

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
Mr Norwoods said:
thetodd said:

Yes, and Agassi's experience was in regards to comments made in the British press. Why is this relevant? I used the example of David Beckham to illustrate how what the press says does not neccesarily equate with the opinion of the average person.

First of all, "friend", I never stated that people do not judge one another based on appearances. I specifically said "hair", and my argument is that the loss of your hair does not substantially detract from ones appearance. It's certainly better to have the choice to grow it out or not but ultimately the loss of your hair isn't going to change your facial features.

The alleged prejudice against bald people is blown way out of proportion by the people here, some of whom are totally consumed by thoughts of their hair and seem to think other people are too. There is more prejudice against men with LONG hair from my experience. When I had mid-back length hair I was constantly being told to "get a haircut", called a "f****ing goth", "stoner", etc. I suppose long hair is also viewed as repulsive and is something that certainly detracts from ones appearance. :whistle:
If you want to cop an attitude because I disagree with you about how much of an effect hairloss has on men, that's your problem. I brought up what Agassi said to make a point, but you completely dismiss it because it doesn't fall in line with your feelings about this issue.
I base my comments here on my own experience and that of others. If you think losing hair isn't any big deal, I'm happy for you. That doesn't mean you should belittle those of us who are bothered by our hairloss. As I've already admitted, some guys can get away with the chrome dome look. I wish I was one of them. I'll state without hesitation, though, that most guys would be considered better looking with hair than without. I'm not going to keep wasting my time trying to convince you of something you refuse to even consider, though. Believe what you will. :baaa: