Can Whey Protein Speed Up Hair Loss?

physicalism

Reaction score
Gains>Hair. The more you exercise, the easier accepting hair loss becomes. I doubt whey protein/amino acids accelerates hair loss much. Just make sure you're using a clean product from a reputable company, and you should be fine. And before you think about substituting with plant protein, do some research. Lead and other heavy metals have been detected in many popular, plant protein brands. If I recall, I think it has something to do with the manufacturing process and/or the soil they use, but it's worth researching.

Laura21

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am unsure of this. But I think that this is possible. I recently read that bilkovy products are generally poorly respected by our body.

casposin

My Regimen
Reaction score
The only way whey proteine may be affecting hair loss, is if it is already mixed with other stuff. Not all whey proteins are just that, some may have creatine, for example. And other sustances.

But, even if you are worried about creatine incerasing DHT levels, I dont think it can do anything vs finasteride or dutas decreasing those DHT levels (this is something I would like to see a study about).

INT

Reaction score
Given the mammalian estrogren in dairy I actually can see it being beneficial to hair rather than damaging. Most likely it will have no effect though.

michaelle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think so, protein powder can't cause hair loss... If you have any issues, I think you should check out eDrugStore.com for some good and working supplements or meds which will help you improve your hair and prevent loss. I am sure that you will find it helpful to you, good luck!

Last edited:

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem with whey is that it is more inflammatory than a lot of foods. Avoiding it probably won't save any noticeable amount of hair. That said, avoiding inflammatory foods will probably help with the itch.

The hormone angle is way more complicated. Exogenous hormones are contained in a lot of foods, and yes it's obviously higher concentrated in whey. How much do they affect endogenous production is the question and I am not aware of any research on that. At least in the short term, exogenous testosterone is bad (but good if you aromatize it), and exogenous estrogen would be good. A long term consumption might have opposite effects on endogenous production. All in all I think the effects are probably nil.

Last edited:

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem with whey is that it is more inflammatory than a lot of foods. Avoiding it probably won't save any noticeable amount of hair. That said, avoiding inflammatory foods will probably help with the itch.

The hormone angle is way more complicated. Exogenous hormones are contained in a lot of foods, and yes it's obviously higher concentrated in whey. How much do they affect endogenous production is the question and I am not aware of any research on that. At least in the short term, exogenous testosterone is bad (but good if you aromatize it), and exogenous estrogen would be good. A long term consumption might have opposite effects on endogenous production. All in all I think the effects are probably nil.
I keep seeing people associating whey protein and I forget the name of what Wieder supplement he touts for milkshakes, with hair loss and I have no knowledge as to the basis for the complaint.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
And guess what Bica is touted for by Powers, along with P4? For increased breast growth over CPA and spironolactone. I am not particularly persuaded that Bica is better for breast growth but many MtF's are. So you guys might be touting the most feminizing thing of all. That's why I keep saying that expected breast growth from HRT for XY's is minimal but you never know. MtF's generally evaluate AA's based upon which help or hurt least breast growth not based upon hair. Hair growth continues to be far more manageable under HRT than breast growth though. So again, YMMV and you pays your money and you takes your chances.

We would know if Bica were just leaps and bounds better. I continue to believe that provera, i.e., medroxyprogesterone acetate has been used longest and used successfully with the fewest sides. It can also be purchased for parenteral use under the brand name Depo-provera, which is also a well-known birth control med similar to Premarin in being famous worldwide with an extensive history of human use.