Can Whey Protein Speed Up Hair Loss?

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry if it has been discussed before. As I am a vegetarian and can't eat meat and egg, I have been recommended to consume whey protein shakes every day. I recently came across a study done by Dr. Shapiro that concluded that Whey Protein Isolate can speed up hair loss. This claim seems absurd to me as whey protein can be found in food items such as milk, yogurt etc. At the same time Dr. Shaprio is a very reputable hair transplant surgeon and I don't want to reject his finding as absurd. What do you guys think about it? Can whey protein isolate potentially speed up hair loss? @David_MPN , @shookwun @Baldhurts

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you link the study so we can see if it's relevant and done rigorously?

As far as I know, there are no rigorous links between diet and hairloss other than:
- Micronutrient deficiency can cause hair loss;
- Moderate alcohol intake (1-4 drinks/week) is correlated with less hair loss;
That's all.

I think jackfruit is going to take off as a superfood, and may help you with your protein requirements. Right now it's hard to come by.

bluehair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Perhaps try something like hemp or pea protein powder for gym etc, these are usually vegan but possibly healthier options and better for hair.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just speculating here but I have read that dairy affects your hormones in some ways.

Whey protein is derived from milk. So there might be a possibility of a link based on my very limited knowledge.

sopiaadams

My Regimen
Reaction score
Use olive oil/coconut oil or conditioner on your tips one to three times a week to keep split ends away for as long as possible. You will have a lot less trimming to do. Put hair masks in only once a week, too much can damage it, but too little wouldn't help either. Use the inversion method to improve hair growth.

razzmatazz91

My Regimen
Reaction score
It can if it has ASPARTAME.
That chemical, which is an artificial sweetner, can definitely accellerate hair loss greatly if you have androgenci alopecia already. Otherwise, not so much.

MyProtein and some other brands have Stevia versions which you could try

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
It can if it has ASPARTAME.
That chemical, which is an artificial sweetner, can definitely accellerate hair loss greatly if you have androgenci alopecia already. Otherwise, not so much.

MyProtein and some other brands have Stevia versions which you could try

Aspartame is shot, but I've never read about it affecting your hair.

razzmatazz91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Look it up..... there's enough material online.
Mind you, it doesn't cause male pattern baldness, only speeds up your loss if you already have it

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Aspartame is shot, but I've never read about it affecting your hair.

I've often felt there's a lot of unwarranted fears of artificial sweeteners. I looked up studies about them years ago and came to this conclusion.

Potential health risks have been examined and dismissed by numerous scientific research projects. With the exception of the risk to those with phenylketonuria, aspartame is considered to be a safe food additive by governments worldwide and major health and food safety organizations.[2][10][11][12][13][14] FDA officials describe aspartame as "one of the most thoroughly tested and studied food additives the agency has ever approved" and its safety as "clear cut."[4] The weight of existing scientific evidence indicates that aspartame is safe as a non-nutritive sweetener.[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
I posted a recent study, in the fasting thread I think. Aspartame exacerbates insulin resistance. It should be avoided.

FDA is not completely trustworthy.

I trust EFSA to a large degree.

https://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/topics/topic/aspartame

Not denying your claim, but if true I believe it negligibly affects someone's health.

It has been studied extensively by multiple groups, not just FDA. Wikipedia article has many other sources.

It's all about the degree of affect. Just the fact that it has some affect on insulin is quite meaningless without knowing what degree it does it and what the health affects of that degree is.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I trust EFSA to a large degree.

https://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/topics/topic/aspartame

Not denying your claim, but if true I believe it negligibly affects someone's health.

It has been studied extensively by multiple groups, not just FDA. Wikipedia article has many other sources.

It's all about the degree of affect. Just the fact that it has some affect on insulin is quite meaningless without knowing what degree it does it and what the health affects of that degree is.

The effect on insulin was large actually.

Wikipedia is very conservative on matters of nutrition, it's like listening to a dietician who got a degree in 1995 and has learned nothing since. Last I checked it was still claiming that coconut oil is bad for you.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The effect on insulin was large actually.

Wikipedia is very conservative on matters of nutrition, it's like listening to a dietician who got a degree in 1995 and has learned nothing since. Last I checked it was still claiming that coconut oil is bad for you.

Coconut oil actually might fight dementia.

Wonder if it's the sugar that's causing it?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Coconut oil actually might fight dementia.

Wonder if it's the sugar that's causing it?

Yes, insulin resistance (too much sugar) is associated with dementia and Alzheimer's.

razzmatazz91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmmm..... so not with accelerated hair loss?
I've not read any research, but several articles online... not entirely trustworthy I guess.

Check this out: source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/321923-diet-coke-hair-loss/
Hair Loss
Exactly why or how aspartame causes hair loss is not clear. More research is needed. Many aspartame victims comment on Dr. Hull's website forum regarding their specific hair loss experience. Many victims have discovered the correlation between aspartame and hair loss unintentionally. While drinking a considerable amount of diet soda, hair loss symptoms began or worsened. When victims cut back or quit completely, they said their hair loss symptoms stopped or improved. Dr. Hull feels that the methanol in aspartame is damaging to healthy hair growth. She feels that if you discontinue the consumption of all aspartame-containing products, you should see improvements in six weeks.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmmm..... so not with accelerated hair loss?
I've not read any research, but several articles online... not entirely trustworthy I guess.

Check this out: source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/321923-diet-coke-hair-loss/
Hair Loss
Exactly why or how aspartame causes hair loss is not clear. More research is needed. Many aspartame victims comment on Dr. Hull's website forum regarding their specific hair loss experience. Many victims have discovered the correlation between aspartame and hair loss unintentionally. While drinking a considerable amount of diet soda, hair loss symptoms began or worsened. When victims cut back or quit completely, they said their hair loss symptoms stopped or improved. Dr. Hull feels that the methanol in aspartame is damaging to healthy hair growth. She feels that if you discontinue the consumption of all aspartame-containing products, you should see improvements in six weeks.

In my experience livestrong.com seems to believe in nearly everything.

razzmatazz91

My Regimen
Reaction score
LOL. Maybe. I used such websites for years when I was in my teens. Most is surely BS, but this is the kind of stuff that made up my preliminary fitness education.
I also don't use Whey with aspartame because of these.

Dazz_nz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you dont want to use Whey protein then use plant protein, but make sure you use one with a complete amino acid profile. Whey protein contains all, generally using 1 type of plant protein does not. I made the switch to plant protein powder as I have been slowly transistioning to a vegan and have now been almost full vegan coming on 3 weeks. I use a mix of pea and rice protein powder as the combination of the 2 gives you a complete amino acid profile. The rice protein is a wee bit gritty but its not a big deal when you mix it into a smoothie. You can either buy a premixed one or just buy the 2 types seperately and mix them. There are other plant based protein powders that have different profiles but they are more expensive than rice and pea protein.

R

ravsharan

I don't think whey Protein would help acceleration in the process and not good for hair.