Can topical dutasteride help with exess scalp tesosterone?

normal-guy21

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, I recently dropped RU58841 cause of heart sides but ever since doing so my hairline has started to itch more, so I'm pretty sure the excess scalp T from finasteride is still hurting my hair, I'm trying alfatradiol but the itch is still there.

so I'm wondering if topical dutasteride would be worth a try or maybe switching to oral even

Thanks

Last edited:

corkmeister

Established Member
Reaction score
Based on the studies I've seen dutasteride is apparently even worse than finasteride in this regard, greatly increasing scalp testosterone.

normal-guy21

My Regimen
Reaction score
Then I guess my only options are getting back on RU, try alfatradioal a bit longer, or give fluridil a go lol

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Meh, fluridil seems pretty weak especially for the price, and kinda inconvenient to source
Well it's the next best topical antiandrogen for the price. You could do CB, Proxiphen, estrogel, or something similar. On paper though, nothing seems to compare to RU.

normal-guy21

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thats true tbh and I heard your androgen receptors upregulate after using it or something which I have so idek if using anything weaker than RU would be worth it

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have heard that too. In any case, it couldn't hurt to still use another topical AA. Certainly better than nothing. Just a matter of if you're willing to dole out the cash.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well it's the next best topical antiandrogen for the price. You could do CB, Proxiphen, estrogel, or something similar. On paper though, nothing seems to compare to RU.
Why no impressive pics from RU? Is it like dutasteride and only a stabilizer?

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why no impressive pics from RU? Is it like dutasteride and only a stabilizer?
Well at best it can only reduce SOME of the T on the scalp. If the half life were longer it might actually be a very powerful treatment, because T is constantly produced all day and will simply outcompete RU, albeit the binding affinities for AR are equivalent. The thing where RU may come in handy is the hairline, but yeah, there really isn't a lot of significant improvements out there aside from Derek's. I still think it's worth it for someone who is struggling at the hairline, it can stack well with other treatments.

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
I can’t comment on fluridil as I’ve never used nor considered it. It’s weak and from the experiences of forum og’s not worth it. There was a bit of hype around it ‘til RU became common. If memory serves me right I think it was El_Duterino that put that spot light on it back in the HLH days (?).

As far as topical goes I’ve used and continue to use nizoral shampoo (keto 2%) and RU for about a decade give or take. If you’re wondering perhaps my hair loss isn’t as agressive as yours, I can assure you nothing lights fire to your hair like steroids, and I’ve been an avid user of gear for 15-20 yrs (in fact it’s what accelerated my hair loss when I was a teen). The only 2 treatments that hold my grounds is Nizoral and RU. If I’m on a mild cycle consisting of gear nizoral 2% everyday is sufficient. If I’m on a very agressive cycle that consists of powerful androgenic properties then I have to be on RU and my hair holds just fine.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I can’t comment on fluridil as I’ve never used nor considered it. It’s weak and from the experiences of forum og’s not worth it. There was a bit of hype around it ‘til RU became common. If memory serves me right I think it was El_Duterino that put that spot light on it back in the HLH days (?).

As far as topical goes I’ve used and continue to use nizoral shampoo (keto 2%) and RU for about a decade give or take. If you’re wondering perhaps my hair loss isn’t as agressive as yours, I can assure you nothing lights fire to your hair like steroids, and I’ve been an avid user of gear for 15-20 yrs (in fact it’s what accelerated my hair loss when I was a teen). The only 2 treatments that hold my grounds is Nizoral and RU. If I’m on a mild cycle consisting of gear nizoral 2% everyday is sufficient. If I’m on a very agressive cycle that consists of powerful androgenic properties then I have to be on RU and my hair holds just fine.
Where do you get the 2% version? It seems sold out on most online pharmacies.

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
Well at best it can only reduce SOME of the T on the scalp. If the half life were longer it might actually be a very powerful treatment, because T is constantly produced all day and will simply outcompete RU, albeit the binding affinities for AR are equivalent. The thing where RU may come in handy is the hairline, but yeah, there really isn't a lot of significant improvements out there aside from Derek's. I still think it's worth it for someone who is struggling at the hairline, it can stack well with other treatments.

I’ll see if I can find the literature but I believe RU’s binding affinity was stronger than Testosterone. It was equal to or slighter greater than DHT (read varying text on that) but it was equal to trenbolone in binding affinity, and trenbolone is a powerful androgenic compound. I don’t know of any user of trenbolone (low to mild dosage) that wasn’t able to successfully hold grounds while applying RU throughout the duration of their cycle (and longer depending on half-life of compound).

Good point. RU is also better applied at night when T levels are at their highest.

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
Where do you get the 2% version? It seems sold out on most online pharmacies.

I’m in Toronto. It’s sold in abundance in Canada in local stores. But good luck finding Minoxidil 5% here