Can The Front Be 100% Undetectable From Really Up Close?

Noah

Reaction score
That looks to me like a theatrical hairpiece, rather than one for full-time wear. The hairline is very natural looking because of the graduated random way the frontal hairs are inserted, but to achieve that effect there is a big area of lace with almost no hairs in it. This piece was designed to be seen from a distance, rather than close up. Also, the piece extends down the temples, which is unusual for a man's hairpiece.

To answer your question, if this was intended for full-time wear there would be much less bare lace left at the front, so the lace would not be noticeable. I would say a properly applied lace unit is pretty much undetectable.

Thinskin can also look very good provided it is well applied. Personally I think lace is better for hairlines, but I have heard quite a few wearers say the opposite, so I guess it is a matter of taste. Because it is a mesh, lace doesn't have a defined edge, which makes it hard for the eye to pick up the existence of a base. Thinskin disappears very well against the skin provided it is well glued, but there is always a defined line there (the edge of the base). If it catches the light the wrong way it can show up momentarily, and if the glue fails and the base comes loose it becomes cloudy and visible.

I will PM you a couple of pics of my lace hairline.

Noah

thelightison

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

Yeah that photo is John Travolta's head I believe. Now I searched more photos and there are horrible photos of his frontline.

So in conclusion there are only two posibilities, you use a lace and you risk that some kind of mesh might show, or a thinskin and a line might show, is there a third posibility?
I'm imagining a thinskin precut irregularly very near the hairs, but I guess that does not exist.

Noah

Reaction score
John Travolta is the poster boy for exposed lace. He had been wearing a hairpiece for years without anyone being any the wiser, and then he appeared at some award ceremony wearing one like the one in your picture. The paparazzi got a photo of the lace, and it was splashed all over the media and the secret was gone. Can't imagine what he was thinking of.

A properly applied lace base shouldn't show, and a properly applied skin base is also pretty unlikely to show. There is no third possibility that I am aware of, but you can certainly cut subtle irregularities into both lace and skin hairlines. In fact lace naturally becomes more irregular with wear. You can't cut too much off though, because you need the graduated hairline area at the front for a good result.

BaldAndBalder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thats a really good graduated hairline, amazing job!, sadly let down by the base.