Can Oral Minoxidil Be Killing My Hair?

kotorm8910

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used topical for 2 years and at first the results were great for the first year or so then sort of started to not do much at all.

i went to a dermatologist for the first time and told me to use Finasteride 1mg and oral Minoxidil 0.5mg

this was about 4 and a half months ago, i held off on the finasteride till about 2 months ago as i feared for side effects. ( luckily i haven't noticed any, i started on 1 tablet every second day and now doing one everyday, also i got my testosterone checked and its in the normal range)

I have noticed since i have been on the oral Minoxidil my hair has fallen out so far to the point i cannot hide it anymore, everything is so thin.

I genuinely cannot tell if its just a "shed" that's meant to all come back thicker, or its accelerated my hair loss.

My question is if i switch back to the topical minoxidil am i going to go through another shed from hell? or am i kinda stuck with oral minoxidil now until i shave it all off?

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Its normal to shed 2 months after starting finasteride

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I used topical for 2 years and at first the results were great for the first year or so then sort of started to not do much at all.

i went to a dermatologist for the first time and told me to use Finasteride 1mg and oral Minoxidil 0.5mg

this was about 4 and a half months ago, i held off on the finasteride till about 2 months ago as i feared for side effects. ( luckily i haven't noticed any, i started on 1 tablet every second day and now doing one everyday, also i got my testosterone checked and its in the normal range)

I have noticed since i have been on the oral Minoxidil my hair has fallen out so far to the point i cannot hide it anymore, everything is so thin.

I genuinely cannot tell if its just a "shed" that's meant to all come back thicker, or its accelerated my hair loss.

My question is if i switch back to the topical minoxidil am i going to go through another shed from hell? or am i kinda stuck with oral minoxidil now until i shave it all off?

There is a study on pubmed which with 2x minox5% daily there is 5mg in the blood. So if first you was taking 5mg and now 0,5mg its pretty normal that you are loosing the results.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
yeah between 2.5mg and 5mg was detected in urine when minoxidil was applied to the whole of the scalp, i think your dose is too low. Ask for it to be increased to 5mg, preferably 10mg which is what i take, it has sorta helped diffuse thinning on the top of my head but my crown is still in bad shape. Thinking i might need a transplant.

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You sure it's not 5mg? .5mg is nothing. You literally came off minoxidil + probably shed on finasteride, which is normal. I can imagine what a disaster this could be.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You sure it's not 5mg? .5mg is nothing. You literally came off minoxidil + probably shed on finasteride, which is normal. I can imagine what a disaster this could be.

That’s what these derms tend to prescribe - oral minoxidil in low doses.

itsjustsimon

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That’s what these derms tend to prescribe - oral minoxidil in low doses.

I believe 5mg is a low dose, not 0.5mg. People with hypertension are taking up to 50mg/d, even more.

Probably OP made a mistake quoting his dose.

Even if 5mg goes systemic, I don't think it's as effective as a normal topical dose of Rogaine or whatever. It's one big if.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Agreed but genuinely us/uk/oz; they all prescribe low doses under 5 mg. I assume it’s to do with the possible side effects.

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Maybe the guy mistakenly 5mg for 0,5mg.

I would continue with the topical and add some dermarrolling. Also you can add dutasteride once a week , will help to improve again.

kotorm8910

My Regimen
Reaction score
i double checked and it is indeed 0.5, it was made in a compound pharmacy and had to order it on dermatologists orders,

i realise now that its most likely not a shed and its all fallen out due to not using the topical and switching it out for the oral 0.5, wish i knew better haha

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i double checked and it is indeed 0.5, it was made in a compound pharmacy and had to order it on dermatologists orders,

i realise now that its most likely not a shed and its all fallen out due to not using the topical and switching it out for the oral 0.5, wish i knew better haha

The good news is that if you switch back to the topical your gains will come back

el_duterino

Reaction score
0.5mg is too low
You need 5mg a day to have the equivalent of 2x 5% Rogaine

coco_304

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hi, i have importante question...

the hair that regrowth by liquid minoxidil and fall after stopping minoxidil can come back by oral minoxidil??

Thanks.