Can I get a hair system even if I'm not completely bald?

the10thplanet

Reaction score
Hi.. So my hairline is receding to a point where its very noticeable now that I am in fact balding.

Sucks.

I am a norwood 2.

I wanted to know what I can do in terms of hair systems, as they seem likely to be my best bet to actually retain my image.

Can I shave my head and use the hair system.

How long can I generally wear one for.

Are they easy to remove and clean? Or is it something I have to go to a salon for?

Cheers.

Jack91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Mate, I'm 22 and started wearing a system when I was 20 and they basically shave the top of your head where the balding pattern is and glue a hairpiece to the shaved area. The hair around your sides and back are your own. You can generally wear a system for a week at a time if you are DIY or for upto 4-6 weeks if you go to salon. You can clean and remove your system yourself, but it can be a bit time consuming until you get used to it. Cheers Jack,

Noah

Reaction score
You can also just order a system to cover the area which needs coverage. For example, if it is just your hairline, just order a strip for the front. If it is just the front of your head, just order a partial piece for your front. If it is just your crown, just order a crown topper. Keep as much of your own hair as is viable, but shave off the thin weedy stuff and cover it with a piece.

the10thplanet

Reaction score
My hair is extremely curly. It's afro like. I usually straighten it every day to make it straight. I don't know how I'd go with a partial system because of this. If anything I'd get a full cap, because it would absolve my worries about straightening it every day or getting it wet.. Is this a stupid idea?

Jack91

My Regimen
Reaction score
I reakon the plan to get a full cap is a good option, especially if you have to straignten your hair evey day. I personally don't know to much about full hair systems as mine only covers the top of my head.Perhaps someone with full cap experience could chime in? There was a guy who goes to a salon when I used to go that had dreadlocks and it looked very good. It just goes to show that almost anything is possible. BTW I see you're in Australia - where abouts? Cheers Jack.

the10thplanet

Reaction score
Hi mate. I'm from NSW. Do you mean he got a full cap and dread locked it? I thought of getting my natural hair dreadlocked but now it's probably too late as it doesn't grow much any more.

Do you recommend any hair system companies?

Jack91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey mate, I'm pretty sure that just the top was a system and the sides and back was his natural hair (albeit dreadlocked). I reckon the best places to buy hair online is Northwest lace and coolpiece. You can save yourself a great deal of cash if you start out online, but I’m sort of glad I got the basis at a studio, before I started DIY.

Cheers Jack.