Can Having Wavy Hair Make A Significant Difference In The Illusion Of Density With A Transplant?

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
Yes. Obviously the thicker and wavier hair, the less grafts you need for illusion of thickness.

Thanks. I do realize it makes some difference, I’m just curious as to how much? Does it make transplantation much more feasible for a Norwood 5 or Norwood 6 for instance?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. I do realize it makes some difference, I’m just curious as to how much? Does it make transplantation much more feasible for a Norwood 5 or Norwood 6 for instance?
Definitely. Slick NW6 with good, thick donor could get a diffuse NW2 - NW3 for sure.

Hubris

Reaction score
I personally don't agree that having curly or wavy hair increases the illusion of density. I believe this is a myth based on some pseudo logic and in fact the opposite is true.

Why? Because I happen to have curly hair. I started straightening it about a year ago and I am able to cover my bald spots much more easily. You can definitely still tell that I'm losing my hair and I need a transplant, but with it being straight it just looks far better and the loss that I have developed is less noticeable.

Straight hair can be grown to cover a specific area. Curly hair is uncontrollable and not necessarily thicker than straight hair. The coarseness of curly/wavy hair is to do with a lack of moisture, not due to the thickness of the hair follicle.

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
From what I read prior to my hair transplant and from conversations with Dr Feriduni, having the combination of 1) wavy/curly hair and 2) having thick hair, makes a significant difference in density, in the final result. I have wavy/ thick hair and so this topic was covered in our initial discussion.

I believe (only read about this on the forums, so pinch of salt!) that having 'salt and pepper' hair - having quite a lot of grey hair - will also add to the appearance of density.

I was also told that this can also make the hair transplant take longer (the wave of the hair) so if you have a large number of grafts (> 3,000), it will likely need to be split over a two-day period.