Can hair improve after quitting minoxidil? (bad reaction to it?)

EricGerard

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm thinking of quitting minoxidil. I had good Norwood 1.5 hair before going on it (I had been on finasteride for 6 months before adding minoxidil). During the course of using minoxidil, I developed severe dandruff.. my scalp health is currently really awful. The skin on top is dry, itchy, and crusty, and the hair that grows out of it is also very dry and weighed down at the roots with dandruff crusts. I also shed constantly on minoxidil, as I lose many strands while raking the flakes out on a daily basis. This I believe has caused me to be below baseline in terms of hair density (my individual hairs have become darker though and possibly thicker, but I've also been on finasteride this whole time). So, my hair has actually taken a nose dive since starting minoxidil. I am also not really into having to do this for the rest of my life, which is why I don't want to just try switching brands.

Is it possible that I am just having a very bad reaction to minoxidil? If I quit I know that my dandruff issue will go away and my scalp will become healthy again. Is it conceivable that my hair will actually improve along with my scalp health, or is this just wishful thinking? I should note that it doesn't appear that I have gained any new hair on minoxidil. However, my hairs may have de-miniaturized a bit on minoxidil (although I've also been on finasteride) and their miniaturization wasn't that bad in the first place. I am hoping this means I will not experience a drastic shed from quitting either.. but if only I could be so lucky.

Comparison of scalp health between the back of my scalp and where I apply minoxidil (top scalp). Note the thick layer of crustiness and the lack of visual scalp blood vessels.
xBExma9.jpg

albionlad

Reaction score
I'm not one of the senior members on this forum but I'll give it a go.. Have you used Nizoral? I find that it does a good job of controlling my scalp pain and flaking where as other dandruff shampoo's aren't as effective

Also, the reason why you are not seeing as many blood vessels on the picture of the top of your head may be because of overhead lighting flushing them out on the photograph, whereas the back of your head is more shaded from the light and allows the photograph to show them more.

EricGerard

Reaction score
Thanks for the response! I've tried nizoral but it didn't do me any good. The itchyness and flakes still came and it made my hair really dry.

As for the blood vessel thing, my scalp microscope actually uses 8 LED lights around the camera so the lighting in each photograph is actually the exact same. There really is a thicker layer of dead, crusty skin on the top of my scalp where I apply minoxidil!

Aneik

Reaction score
Go for NIZRAL 2% shampoo twice/thrice a week.
It's the best against dandruff,seborrhoeic dermatitis & telogen effluvium...
What's most mportant is that it has anti androgenic property due to its content ketoconazole(androgen receptor blocker actually)...So it will also fight against your male pattern baldness although at a mild degre....
Hope that helps....