Can areata cause a receding hairline?

Ventures

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you don't have at all Alopecia Areata, only male pattern baldness. You have thinning on the front and top of the head. Send photo of your donor hair.

LosingHairIsNotFair

Established Member
Reaction score
Fred...this is Ryukil. Remember I sent you those pictures with my hair very short? You said I certainly have AA haha...plus I had it confirmed by a dermatologist. It's the diffuse form...alopecia areata incognita.

- - - Updated - - -

This is my hair shaved evenly with a single grade...
https://imageshack.com/i/161sujj
https://imageshack.com/i/0jesr5j
https://imageshack.com/i/g4yz9ej

Also, I answered my own question:
http://www.scielo.br/img/revistas/abd/v87n6/a10fig02.jpg

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
You are approaching a NW3. Fred knows his stuff. Trust Fred as he knows what it is like to be in denial. You are balding.

LosingHairIsNotFair

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, in private messages Fred told me I had AA. He actually told me that a while ago but I dismissed it; a month or so later I came to the same conclusion. I definitely have AA because it was confirmed by my dermatologist in the beard area. Whether or not I also have male pattern baldness is the question. Look at that picture I linked, AA can affect the temples.

Point is, I'm just going to ask for a dermascopy. That should be able to differentiate AA from male pattern baldness easily.

There is a type of AA called alopecia areata incognita aka diffuse alopecia. Look it up! But I am very much done arguing with finasteride Nazis. I am going to get everything checked out. If the dermascopy confirms male pattern baldness, I will hop right back on finasteride. Everyone just take a deep breath. This is something I need to deal with on my own.

LosingHairIsNotFair

Established Member
Reaction score
Everyone just consider this picture of diffuse AA: http://www.scielo.br/img/revistas/abd/v87n6/a10fig02.jpg
The thinning on the sides of my head is very similar to this.

This is my last post in this thread now...take the picture as you will. It shows that AA can mimic the appearance of male pattern baldness. It is already confirmed by a dermatologist that I have AA, and the hair in my temples seems to be growing back without treatment...but whatever. If I were one of you guys I would probably be yelling at the kid posting this to get on finasteride ASAP as well and think he is delusional. But in my circumstances it makes sense as I have a history of autoimmune diseases in my family and have suffered from chronic anxiety for years. But we'll just have to wait and see.

Bye bye for now. Last post in this thread (I put this for me so I don't waste all my time arguing...all it does is stress me out. Incidentally, that is bad for my AA). Maybe I will update the whole Internet hair loss community (this site and hairlosshelp) once I know exactly what is happening. Getting blood work back soon, going to get a dermoscopy, etc.

And this will be my last post on this forum at least for a while because I'm tired of getting into arguments about it. I was hoping if I posted in the AA forum, people would understand more what I am trying to say. But I'm guessing a bunch of people with male pattern baldness are filtering in, since someone linked this thread on the other forum.

I'm really going to disappear now and just deal with my dermatologist. Maybe be back once I know what's happening. Even if I have male pattern baldness and hop back on finasteride, it's not really productive to be sitting on hair loss forums all day obsessing about it. ^^

baylife

Banned
Reaction score
We are not "finasteride Nazis", we are finasteride cheerleaders.
Yes, in private messages Fred told me I had AA. He actually told me that a while ago but I dismissed it; a month or so later I came to the same conclusion. I definitely have AA because it was confirmed by my dermatologist in the beard area. Whether or not I also have male pattern baldness is the question. Look at that picture I linked, AA can affect the temples.

Point is, I'm just going to ask for a dermascopy. That should be able to differentiate AA from male pattern baldness easily.

There is a type of AA called alopecia areata incognita aka diffuse alopecia. Look it up! But I am very much done arguing with finasteride Nazis. I am going to get everything checked out. If the dermascopy confirms male pattern baldness, I will hop right back on finasteride. Everyone just take a deep breath. This is something I need to deal with on my own.

- - - Updated - - -

Ryukil,

Most of us on here are more educated about hairloss than general doctors/practitioners. Don't try to convince us you don't have male pattern baldness. You have severe male pattern baldness and a hairline high enough to be my 70 year old grandfathers. If you continue like this life will be unfair to you. I have been there.