Can anyone help me out here...strange type of hairloss

toasted

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and would like some advice or help if possible.

I am 27 years old and I have a type of hairloss that is usually seen on women. The best way to describe my loss would be a narrow strip of diffuse thinning hair down the middle of the head starting from the crown (the top of the head where there is a swirl) all the way to the hairline. Is this normal?

Usually male pattern baldness starts at the temples and receeds up into a horseshoe pattern I assume?

I am healthy and don't take anything that would alter my hormones or make me turn into a female. Should I be searching for answers in the women's hairloss section?

Please let me know if there is anything I can do about this everyone, it would be greatly appreciated.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Do you tend to part your hair down the middle? Sometimes that pattern can be related to a thyroid problem or its just how you tend to thin. I have the exact same situation but my hair thickens more down the middle towards the midscalp to the back. My temples have slight recession. So far Rogaine seems to help somewhat with those areas. I do agree with you. Its a strange pattern but obvious you are not the only one with it. I have see a few people with it. At least you can conceal it with toppik.

pproctor

Established Member
Reaction score
About 20% (or so) of pattern loss in males is "female pattern loss". This means diffuse loss on top with retention of a more or less normal hair line in front. In women, female pattern loss tends to be associated with high DHEA levels about 20% or so of the time in something called PCO (polycystic ovarian sysdrome).

In males, DHEA is probably not a significant androgen. so we just don't know. The good news is that female pattern loss tends to respond to treatment.

Peter H Proctor, PhD,MD

toasted

Reaction score
pproctor said:
About 20% (or so) of pattern loss in males is "female pattern loss". This means diffuse loss on top with retention of a more or less normal hair line in front. In women, female pattern loss tends to be associated with high DHEA levels about 20% or so of the time in something called PCO (polycystic ovarian sysdrome).

In males, DHEA is probably not a significant androgen. so we just don't know. The good news is that female pattern loss tends to respond to treatment.

Peter H Proctor, PhD,MD

Thank you for the replies. So this basically means that I fall into the 20% of male/female pattern loss? Your description of my hairloss (diffuse loss on top with retention of a more or less normal hair line in front) is spot on.

So if this type of loss tends to respond better to treatment, what types of treatment should I go with, since females don't take finasteride I assume, and will lowering or blocking DHEA (if possible) be helpful?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Thanks Dr Proctor, for that information. It nice to hear that type of loss responds to treatment well. Correct me if I am wrong, but I notice men with "female pattern" loss tend to have less aggressive male pattern baldness loss. And tend to seem to keep a "fuller head" of hair throughout their life.