Can A Multivitamin Or Vitamin D Supplement Cause Thinning?

tysono

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all

I take 0.5mg dutasteride and have been on it for 3 years. About a month ago, I started supplementing vitamin d (2000iu) and a multivitamin (opti men). The multi serving size was 3 tablets however I only took one tab a day. My question is, is there any way that these could have caused a shed/loss? My hair seems to feel finer and is shedding more, not sure if it’s just coincidental.

Cheers

MxMa

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why do you ask us? Just stop taking those supplements for a while and u will see if there is any difference.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all

I take 0.5mg dutasteride and have been on it for 3 years. About a month ago, I started supplementing vitamin d (2000iu) and a multivitamin (opti men). The multi serving size was 3 tablets however I only took one tab a day. My question is, is there any way that these could have caused a shed/loss? My hair seems to feel finer and is shedding more, not sure if it’s just coincidental.

Cheers
They both cause my scalp to become itchy and shed. Sucks

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
I doubt vitamin d or a simple multivitamin can cause that, look for other factors.
Remember I am different then you. I definitely respond negatively to certain vitamins rather quickly.

tysono

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Could it be any of the extra ingredients in it that could be a cause? (Again, I only take one pill daily instead of the recommended 3)

Attachments

• 5862150C-DC2E-4F5F-A1B2-CC1D612CB000.jpeg
    5862150C-DC2E-4F5F-A1B2-CC1D612CB000.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 96

asabovesobelow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all

Cheers
If you were deficient in vitamin D prior to supplementation, it most likely could accelerate hairloss to some extent. This is because suboptimal levels of nutrients in the body leads to a decline in physiological performance. And interestingly, the testes, where most testosterone is produced, have vitamin D receptors.

Debster

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all

Cheers
Absolutely vitamin excess A is a known cause of hair loss I found out the hard way by eating almost a cantaloupe a day for weeks to try and lose weight and the shedding was horrifying, Aldo any retinol product contains vitamin A as well.

asabovesobelow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Absolutely vitamin excess A is a known cause of hair loss I found out the hard way by eating almost a cantaloupe a day for weeks to try and lose weight and the shedding was horrifying, Aldo any retinol product contains vitamin A as well.
I doubt your indulgement in cantaloupes contributed to your hairloss. That's because cantaloupes contain beta-carotene, a precursor to vitamin A. These can't be overconsumed to cause hypervitaminosis.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Vitamin D increases my shedding significantly. It upregulates androgen receptors. I've had to quit taking it even though I'm borderline deficient. f*** this sh*t.

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Vitamin D increases my shedding significantly. It upregulates androgen receptors. I've had to quit taking it even though I'm borderline deficient. f*** this sh*t.
You and I are in the same exact boat.

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What is the final verdict? does Vitamin D really cause shedding/thinning? because I have been taking it for the past 6 months :(

Debster

My Regimen
Reaction score
I doubt your indulgement in cantaloupes contributed to your hairloss. That's because cantaloupes contain beta-carotene, a precursor to vitamin A. These can't be overconsumed to cause hypervitaminosis.
Each cantaloupe contains over 18k is of vitamin A, so yes for me toxic levels at any rate I stopped eating them and my shedding stopped within a week.

asabovesobelow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Each cantaloupe contains over 18k is of vitamin A, so yes for me toxic levels at any rate I stopped eating them and my shedding stopped within a week.
Like I said. You can't overconsume beta-carotene to cause hypervitaminosis A. Evidence for this is lacking.

"Toxicity studies in animals have shown that beta-carotene is not carcinogenic, mutagenic, embryotoxic, or teratogenic and does not cause hypervitaminosis A." (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3064048)​

What is the final verdict? does Vitamin D really cause shedding/thinning? because I have been taking it for the past 6 months :(
If you were deficient in vitamin D prior to your supplementation, then there's a chance it could. The testes have vitamin D receptors and it's thought that optimal vitamin D levels will lead to an increase in testosterone production.

Last edited: