Calling all receders using minoxidil for the temples

Reaction score
Been using minoxidil 5% 1x a day on the temples for some time now- seems to be almost as effective as when I used it 2x a day, which is slowing hairloss, with very gradual recession.

I am on the big 3, but today I feel a little down about my temples which are about a Norwood 1.5. Any people with recession using minoxidil, please tell me if you think minoxidil has helped out in the temple region. It would reassure me that applying minoxidil to my temples is safe and effective.

Have a good weekend guys!

Cornholio

Established Member
Reaction score
There have been positive comments on minoxidil and the temples... However, off the top of my head, most seem to have involved some specialty product like minoxidil 15 or 12.5%Xanadrox (Correct me If I'm wrong). Personally I skipped right to the 12.5% Xanadrox lotion (easier to apply to temples) and have had some fine (meaning small and visible) regrowth which did not happen with propecia alone.

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
YoungandBalding said:
Been using minoxidil 5% 1x a day on the temples for some time now- seems to be almost as effective as when I used it 2x a day, which is slowing hairloss, with very gradual recession.

I am on the big 3, but today I feel a little down about my temples which are about a Norwood 1.5. Any people with recession using minoxidil, please tell me if you think minoxidil has helped out in the temple region. It would reassure me that applying minoxidil to my temples is safe and effective.

Hey there!! I have been using the 15% xandrox with really good success. Try it on you temples. Yes, the temple/frontal hairline area has always been the "hardest" to treat, so it calls for powerful treatments to get the end result. Matter in fact, I was thinking of starting a thread about the frontal/temporal area and why it is so hard to treat. I'll have to do that and tell what my opinion is on it. Then go from there. Any more questions, please ask. :)

DjSap

Reaction score
I started using 5% kirkland minoxidil on my temples about 10 weeks ago, so far hair has grown back although pretty short and light. In essence it seems to be working for me but the end results are probably not going to be seen for a few months.

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DjSap said:
I started using 5% kirkland minoxidil on my temples about 10 weeks ago, so far hair has grown back although pretty short and light. In essence it seems to be working for me but the end results are probably not going to be seen for a few months.
Good job! Keep it up! :)

amrod

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah id say its worked for me but ultimately im fucked and wont be able to reverse past a Norwood 2 due to the intense recession thats already occured

Reaction score
I keep searching this forum and other forums and they say that it is not good to start minoxidil unless you have lost a considerable amount of hair, like beyond Norwood 2. Was I wrong to start minoxidil when my temples first started to recede? Or is it okay to use there even though I was between Norwood 1 and 1.5?

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
YoungandBalding said:
I keep searching this forum and other forums and they say that it is not good to start minoxidil unless you have lost a considerable amount of hair, like beyond Norwood 2. Was I wrong to start minoxidil when my temples first started to recede? Or is it okay to use there even though I was between Norwood 1 and 1.5?
I would use it if I were you........unless you want to become "beyond" NW2. LOL! I don't see the harm to using it even though yours wasn't real bad at the time. Believe me, most of the baldies out there "wish" they would've started a lot earlier. :)

G

I use regular old generic minoxidil 5% and have had good results on my temples. With good results, I mean I've actually grown some new hair and for certain I am not receding anymore. I started off with twice a day applications, now I only o it once a day and its still holding out ok.

Reaction score
Hey Badasshairday, from the look of your pictures, I would say you are still between NW1 and NW1.5, am I correct? I just want to know if people who have hairloss as early as me find the minoxidil effective, so I can have peace of mind that I am not hurting myself by using it at this stage.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
YoungandBalding said:

I am an altime NW1.5-2, and I found minoxidil was able to help by slowing or stopping frontal recession, not necesarily regrowing it as it did with the rear. I have been using it up front for about 3.5 years now. This might sound strange, but the hairloss chemistry seems to be different for the crown than the hairline or temples for that matter. The crown just seems to respond better to it, but it still should not deter you from applying it up front. Good luck!

XL

G

YoungandBalding said:
Hey Badasshairday, from the look of your pictures, I would say you are still between NW1 and NW1.5, am I correct? I just want to know if people who have hairloss as early as me find the minoxidil effective, so I can have peace of mind that I am not hurting myself by using it at this stage.

Yo, where have you seen my pics? I think you are confusing me with BadHairDecade. I'm 20, and I'm about Norwood 1.5, and the minoxidil works.

Reaction score
Your pics are in the my-story section of the discussion forums. You haven't posted a recent picture of your temples, but it looks like minoxidil did help your temples, especially the left one.

G

YoungandBalding said:
Your pics are in the my-story section of the discussion forums. You haven't posted a recent picture of your temples, but it looks like minoxidil did help your temples, especially the left one.

Oh yea, I forgot about those. I just looked at them now... thanks for the reminder, heh. Well yea, if you look at those pics and see the pic of my left temple that was my baseline pic in Feb. 2004, you can see how receded and diffuse it is. Then about 2.5 months later my pics in Apr. 2004 do show some progress. That was only in 2.5 months. It only gets better and better after that.

minoxidil works on the temples!

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
^^ Thanks! This thread makes me feel so much better about applying minoxidil.

I'm going to add a bit of encouragement for minoxidil users also. Today, my mom was looking at my hair like she always does. She's the only person I'll talk to about my hairloss, except for your guys of course haha. Usually she'll just look it and not say nothing. Today, she looked at it and said, "It looks like your hair is getting a lot better, what are you doing?" That compliment made me feel like a million bucks!

Also, I'm using minoxidil only...and once daily at that. I still have ways to go though but I'm hopeful I'll get there! :hairy:

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
different things must work for different people. Ive been using nizoral and finasteride without minoxidil for over 2 mos. and I have dark stubble and plenty of light non-vellus hairs ALL over my front hairline and Im about a Norwood 4. Seems to be doing more for the front than the crown so far, though it's harder to detect in the back.

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score

badasshair I saw your pics and I dont think you are bald at all! Thats not Nw1.5 its Nw0.5 which means you are not bald. Thats my opinion...

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wangho75 said:
different things must work for different people. Ive been using nizoral and finasteride without minoxidil for over 2 mos. and I have dark stubble and plenty of light non-vellus hairs ALL over my front hairline and Im about a Norwood 4. Seems to be doing more for the front than the crown so far, though it's harder to detect in the back.

wait..after checking that Norwood scale again, im actually more of a Norwood 2V, not a Norwood 4. I have alot more hair than that. That scale doesn't seem to represent certain other hairloss patterns like mine.

v

Reaction score
hello all,
i am using the big 3 , applying minoxidil 5% on the temple area only.. and with good results! i have some regrowth and thickening of hair. Just to mention i shave my head and this could be a advantage being that minoxidil grown hair tend to be delicate, and thin.

Been using the medication for 2 years now, it takes a some time to see how effective the medication is ... i also take half a pill of proscar.. this may help me with the temples.

My opinion , i think it is very hard and near impossible to regrow anything lost with the current meds... looking at other peoples results i think it is mainly thickening that looks like regrowth.. but on a slick bald area i find it very unlikely.
So to those newbies , the big 3 works for me! FACT, and on the temples!

good luck everyone. I prey for those scientists to create something better!!

v

CNStrikesBack

Reaction score
Wow, this is good to hear. I've been on Propecia for about 6 months or so. Not sure about the results yet. My hair seems a bit thinner, though it could be shedding. I don't know. Anyway, i bought my first box of 5% minoxidil just last night. Applied it where they said, but thought "why the heck wouldn't this work on the frontal area too? I came here to see if anyone has actually tried it, and sure enough, you have.

So, it would be okay to apply it two times a day to both the front and top? I would not mind trying it, though i'd blow through it twice as fast. Let me know what you think.