Calling all diffuse thinners using minoxidil

Stinger122

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Just wondering how much minoxidil do you apply in your dropper and do you spread droplets around your scalp and then massage them in afterwards?

Does that sound alright?

Im just asking this in case I do need to start in future :p

al_pacino

Reaction score
I had regrown some hair (1 - 1.5 inch) and tried using the dropper as most members of the boards have said they used it. The thing is I went through 1 bottle of minoxidil every 2 weeks :freaked2:

As a diffuse thinner, I had a lot of area to cover. So yes, I had to massage it a lot and be very patient. I really don't believe you can get as much coverage than someone using the sprayer on a shaved head.

Stinger122

Established Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to apply it to a diffuse thinning scalp and how much (1ml like they recommend still?)? :O

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
I use as much as needed to cover my scalp and to hell with the one ML.IMO that is a starting point only.If using more does not cause any health problems you should be good to go.

al_pacino

Reaction score
What I meant to say is that it obviously will take more than 1ml. How to apply it? I started from the top of the head applied let it drip a bit down to my forehead and massaged it. You have to know where you are diffuse thinning though. Because I'd like to know how could someone apply minoxidil to the whole scalp with a dropper. That'll take way too much time and minoxidil.

Best way for me is to shave my head, so I can see where my growth/loss stands at.

Stinger122

Established Member
Reaction score
Well what I thought sounded good was, use the dropper, drop little droplets around your scalp, and then massage your scalp so it gets spread out thoroughly.. Does this sound alright?

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Stinger122 said:
Well what I thought sounded good was, use the dropper, drop little droplets around your scalp, and then massage your scalp so it gets spread out thoroughly.. Does this sound alright?

Yes, that sounds right.I tend to just slop the stuff on at night because I'm so tired.

al_pacino

Reaction score
Stinger122 said:

Yes, I believe that it's the only way to go about it unless you shave your head. Although it will definitely take more than 1ml (2ml or even 3ml) to cover large areas. One problem I had using this technique was that I felt too much of the minoxidil was on my hands and hair and not enough on the scalp itself.

chris21

Reaction score
Regrowth

Did you two that spread the minoxidil all over your head experience any regrowth or improvement?

al_pacino

Reaction score
Re: Regrowth

chris21 said:
Did you two that spread the minoxidil all over your head experience any regrowth or improvement?

Too early to tell. I've just started applying it all over some 2 months ago. I might detect some small improvement in one area, though I am more in a shedding phase. Basically I look like someone having tiny scars on his head. Hope this goes away. :hairy:

Ams99

Established Member
Reaction score
i always wondered if you should apply in the parts where there is still a lot of hair, but obvious thinning. i'd be scared of a bad shed in those areas.

al_pacino

Reaction score
Ams99 said:
i always wondered if you should apply in the parts where there is still a lot of hair, but obvious thinning. i'd be scared of a bad shed in those areas.

I currently seem to have a slight shed, though I believe, in my case, it would have gotten worse quickly anyway if I hadn't done anything. I apply minoxidil using the sprayer even to areas where there is slight shedding and/or loss.

So if anything that bad happens I'll keep everyone updated.

xXx

Established Member
Reaction score
Stinger122 said:

Yea thats the best way to do it.. I use exactly one ml in the morning and 1+ ml in the night specially along the hairline. since i have longer hair.. lot of the nox is getting wasted on the hair.. but I must say this also makes my hair look thicker

Reaction score
I part my hair and apply the minoxidil in "cornrows," so to speak. I wind up using about 1.5 mL each application.

I'm having pretty successful regrowth now [my doctor, barber, parents, and friends have all commented on a thicker head of hair], but I can't necessarily attribute it to minoxidil. I'm on a number of other treatments and perhaps I'm not even suffering from male pattern baldness given that my baldness struck *rapidly* and is now clearing up after only a few months of treatments.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
I've used minoxidil for 2+ years and have found that if you need to apply it to your whole scalp (like me!) then the long nozzle applicator that you get with the genuine Rogaine minoxidil is far easier to use than the dropper you get with Kirkland's stuff.

The nozzle applicator is on a pump that is screwed on top of the minoxidil bottle and makes it easy to squeeze a smaller amount out which I then rub in with my little finger to keep it off my hair as much as poss.

I now use Kirkland minoxidil with the Rogaine supplied pump/nozzle on top of the bottle.

bombscience

Reaction score
minoxidil SUCKS FOR DIFFUSE THINNERS

Ok, now that I have your attention, this is how I really feel. Yeah I said it. I think minoxidil is stupid for diffuse thinning. All it has done for me is cause irritation, and possibly accelerate my hairloss. F-U minoxidil.

Yeah i said it.

F-minoxidil.

Stingray

Reaction score
I am a diffuse thinner. minoxidil actually feels good on my scalp, and I have no problem applying it.

I'm sorry you're not having a good experience with it... but don't scare other people off just because of your problems. You are one of only few that respond negatively to it. Deal with it, but don't drag others down with you ok?

bombscience

Reaction score
Stingray said:
I am a diffuse thinner. minoxidil actually feels good on my scalp, and I have no problem applying it.

I'm sorry you're not having a good experience with it... but don't scare other people off just because of your problems. You are one of only few that respond negatively to it. Deal with it, but don't drag others down with you ok?

Right but do you have any noticable regrowth from minoxidil? I dont think i have read 1 story from an aggressive diffuse guy that has noticed regrowth on minoxidil...

I like the sensation applying Dr. Lee's PPG free minoxidil gives, but after a week the irritation builds up. Thank god for folligen to keep it down. I'm giving it 1 more month and then it's gone.

drinkrum

Reaction score
Stingray said:

... to the pits of Hell!

D.