Bryan, what do u think of this crazy theory??

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i'm not sure if this is completely true...but if you found a patch of hair on your body that u knew was brought on by androgens (say your chest or back or *** or somewhere) You could test out some fluridil or some spironolactone on it to see if it blocks the androgen receptors and makes the hair start to fall out....ha.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
That's not a crazy idea at all, Jimmy!! Antiandrogens should in fact reduce the growth of body hair, although the effect would probably be pretty subtle, and take a long time. I strongly encourage such experimentation, and I hope that people would post the results on these hairloss sites.

Bryan

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
okay..the truth is i also saw some logic to it but i wrote it as a crazy idea just to avoid any acusations in case it was bizzare. i would do it on my pubes if fluridil wasn't so expensive. I guess this also means it would take a long time for anti androgens to work on the scalp too...i would love to be pubeless with a full head of hair...ha

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
jimmystanley said:
okay..the truth is i also saw some logic to it but i wrote it as a crazy idea just to avoid any acusations in case it was bizzare.

Hey, that never stopped certain other individuals from posting bizarre theories! In fact, if your initials are "SF", you are MUCH more likely to post bizarre theories! :wink:

michael barry said:
i would do it on my pubes if fluridil wasn't so expensive. I guess this also means it would take a long time for anti androgens to work on the scalp too...

Exactly. It cracks me up when newbies post things like, "I've been using Propecia [or spironolactone, or fluridil, or whatever] for a couple months now, but haven't seen any results yet."

It would be fascinating if one of us would apply some relatively inexpensive topical spironolactone to one side of our beards for a few months, and record the before-and-after results with a digital camera. That would be KEWL!

Bryan

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There is a theoretical danger that residual fluridil on your pubis may cause the development of a mustache on your gitlfriend.

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
It would be fascinating if one of us would apply some relatively inexpensive topical spironolactone to one side of our beards for a few months, and record the before-and-after results with a digital camera. That would be KEWL!

Bryan

I am willing to apply a square of spironolactone to my forearm (fairly hairy) and record the results, would this area be of interest ?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
TynanW said:
I am willing to apply a square of spironolactone to my forearm (fairly hairy) and record the results, would this area be of interest ?

What are you doing up this late, Tynan?? :freaked:

That would be ok, but I think an area of the beard might be even better, because it's probably even a little more dependent on androgens than the arm.

Bryan

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I will take part in this experiment. I was gonna do this a while back. :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Me too! I'm gonna apply some spironolactone every day to one side of my chin, leaving the other side as a control. I'm normally clean-shaven (except when I get lazy and don't bother to shave), but whenever I want to test the results, all I'll have to do is let a stubble grow out for a couple or three days, and photograph the results. Any significant side-to-side difference in the growth of that small stubble should be readily apparent, one would think! :wink: Should even be able to feel the difference...

Bryan

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm in !!!!

Where else on the body would be a good subject area ? you can rule the pubes out as I refuse to post (anymore) pictures of my groin on the internet, how about the palms ?

Ok joking aside, where would be good, the chest...?
Is the chin/beard the area of most androgen dependency ?

1derphull

Established Member
Reaction score
Honestly, save it for your head. We already know these compounds have anti androgen activity!

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Me too! I'm gonna apply some spironolactone every day to one side of my chin, leaving the other side as a control. I'm normally clean-shaven (except when I get lazy and don't bother to shave), but whenever I want to test the results, all I'll have to do is let a stubble grow out for a couple or three days, and photograph the results. Any significant side-to-side difference in the growth of that small stubble should be readily apparent, one would think! :wink: Should even be able to feel the difference...

Bryan
To let you know, you will still grow hair in the beard area. Even GeminiX using anti androgens internally still grew hair on his face, but his body hair fell off. But, he did state that he didn't have to shave nearly as often. Notice I say "didn't"...........due to the fact that now he has had some form of surgery(lazer, I think) to keep him from growing hair on his face. So results using spironolactone or fluridil on face are going to be subtle. Body hair might be better. Just thought I'd let ya know, from what GeminiX told me. :wink:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
TynanW said:
I'm in !!!!

Where else on the body would be a good subject area ? you can rule the pubes out as I refuse to post (anymore) pictures of my groin on the internet, how about the palms ?

I always suspected you had a lot of hair on your palms, Tynan.

TynanW said:
Ok joking aside, where would be good, the chest...?
Is the chin/beard the area of most androgen dependency ?

I think it is. Plus it has that advantage of being inherently easier to judge the results (assuming that you shave every day). You just let it go for a short while without shaving, and it should be easy to judge the results of NEW growth.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
1derphull said:
Honestly, save it for your head. We already know these compounds have anti androgen activity!

YOU know it and _I_ know it, but not EVERYBODY knows it or believes it. Some people on these hairloss sites insist that topicals are ineffective, spironolactone in particular. It would be fascinating if we could document its effect on beard (or some other body hair) growth. That would lend a lot of support for its use in male pattern baldness. It would also be more evidence for me against Stephen Foote's theory.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dice_Has_Hair said:
To let you know, you will still grow hair in the beard area. Even GeminiX using anti androgens internally still grew hair on his face, but his body hair fell off. But, he did state that he didn't have to shave nearly as often......... So results using spironolactone or fluridil on face are going to be subtle.

Hamilton did a little test in his seminal 1960 study ("The Effect of Castration on the Proportion of Bald and Hairy Scalp") to ensure that castration would have a lasting antiandrogenic effect. He found that eunuchs have an average beard growth of almost exactly 1/10 that of normal, age-matched control subjects, which he found out by directly weighing the beard shavings of the eunuchs and the control subjects.

Now, nobody expects topical spironolactone to be as effective as castration at reducing beard growth, but we can all HOPE that the results are noticeable after a few weeks or months.

Bryan

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Dice_Has_Hair said:
To let you know, you will still grow hair in the beard area. Even GeminiX using anti androgens internally still grew hair on his face, but his body hair fell off. But, he did state that he didn't have to shave nearly as often......... So results using spironolactone or fluridil on face are going to be subtle.

Hamilton did a little test in his seminal 1960 study ("The Effect of Castration on the Proportion of Bald and Hairy Scalp") to ensure that castration would have a lasting antiandrogenic effect. He found that eunuchs have an average beard growth of almost exactly 1/10 that of normal, age-matched control subjects, which he found out by directly weighing the beard shavings of the eunuchs and the control subjects.

Now, nobody expects topical spironolactone to be as effective as castration at reducing beard growth, but we can all HOPE that the results are noticeable after a few weeks or months.

Bryan
Exactly Brian. It is gonna be "subtle" kinda like watching a plant grow. It is gonna take several weeks to notice anything. I think that perhaps if one were to shave their chest or stomach, apply the spironolactone or fluridil to a 2X2 area(inches) perhaps once or twice daily, let the hair grow back, and after several weeks evaluate the difference between the area that has had antiandrogen applied to it versus the area without and see if there is a difference. :wink:

jsmith

Reaction score
i was planning on doing this too when i start on spironolactone... i've noticed that i have some additional hair growth moving down past my wrist by about half an inch that wasn't there about a year ago, so this seems to be hair that is newly being recruited by DHT. one good way to make the measurement seems to be to apply it to one side, shave both sides every week or so, and see if the rate of hair growth differs between the sides with pics.

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jsmith said:
i was planning on doing this too when i start on spironolactone... i've noticed that i have some additional hair growth moving down past my wrist by about half an inch that wasn't there about a year ago, so this seems to be hair that is newly being recruited by DHT. one good way to make the measurement seems to be to apply it to one side, shave both sides every week or so, and see if the rate of hair growth differs between the sides with pics.
Sounds good, even after I have had a 12 pack
of budweiseer

The Gardener

Reaction score
How about applying topical spironolactone to the eyebrows? Might this prevent them from getting thick and Einstein-like?