Bryan Shelton

Petchsky

Reaction score
I try to get on when I can, always good to see names you recognise about on the forum :)

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
When I read of this news I was hoping it was some sort of sick joke and after scrolling down I'd read a post somewhere by Bryan "I'm right here" with a smiley face. Unfortunately this is not the case. News of him dying is sitting heavily on me. I've known him for well over 10 yrs through message boards and trusted him with personal information. He was not only by far the most knowledgable person on the boards on the topic of hair loss but he was a genuinely good hearted human being. I don't know of anyone else including doctors that has contributed as much as he has. What an immense source of information he was.

May his loved ones find the stregnth through this time and may my good friend Bryan rest his peace. He will be deeply missed :(

ben760

Established Member
Reaction score
is he the Bryan who always tells that minoxidil does not interfere with balding process? i do find his post educating specially about minoxidil. RIP.

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
Sad to hear about his passing. He was a great help to me and will be missed.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
HI bornthisway I'm glad to see you , Bryan was a good tertuliano, it is a pitty.

rush4life

Reaction score
I have only been fighting the battle for about 6 years but Bryan is the poster I remember most - I had no idea what was going on and that guy was a WEALTH of information - he will be missed around these boards. RIP good sir.

doke

Reaction score
There's no funeral home since Bryan's relatives donated his body to medicine (which I agree is what he'd have wanted). And I doubt there will be an obituary; Bryan left no wife or children, and his sister personally notified friends and relatives of his passing. I can tell you that he had no college degree, but loved meticulous research combined with healthy scientific skepticism. His last job was as a field service technician for Tektronix, repairing the high-end printers they used to manufacture. We met at a computer club in 1979, at the dawn of the personal computer age. Later, he and I played Doom from 1994 until he could no longer use his computer; if you Google our names together you'll find a couple of references to our cooperative testing of player-made Doom maps.

As for expressing your condolences, you're doing it right here. I will provide links to the threads I started here and elsewhere to his family and friends in a day or two when the activity on them subsides. My thanks for the kind words you all have posted. They are a moving tribute to my friend

Thankyou blake most has already been posted here already but i just want to say im really sad over this and followed his posts and asked questions for many years to him but send thoughts from across the pond in uk he will be really missed as i asked on another forum where is bryan anyway. David

Former Forumer

Reaction score
I've just heard this desperately sad news.

I was a regular contributor to this forum six or seven years ago, but my life moved on and lately I've spent little or no time worrying about hair loss, leave alone frequenting the forums. I only found out about Bryan's death by an off-chance visit back here the other day; I was totally stunned, and moved to re-register and write something in this thread.

I never met Bryan in the flesh, heard his voice or saw his picture, but I remember him well as one of the foremost posters on several of the leading hair loss forums. As one blogger has said, he was one of the few constants of the online hair loss community, a real authority for well over a decade. A whole generation of us looked up to him and benefited from his expertise; I'll always be grateful for his diligent amateur research, his intelligence and his generosity with both time and knowledge.

Bryan's staunch advocacy of a certain treatment may have caused some controversy in recent years, but whatever you think of that episode, you have to acknowledge his wider (magnificent) contribution to the internet hair loss community ever since it got going. He helped me and many others better understand the unfamiliar science of androgens, follicles, finasteride and minoxidil; his discussions with people like Stephen Foote and Armando Jose were classic arguments between armchair scientists. I wish more people on the net and in 'real life' had Bryan's thirst for evidence and willingness to engage in reasoned debate!

It's frankly shocking that, according to Blake's post, Bryan didn't apply his trademark careful, rational approach to his own health. The notion that he might have died partly because he was wilfully late in seeking professional medical advice really doesn't sound like an attitude of the man we all knew and respected on HairLossTalk.com and other forums. Perhaps he was in denial, or scared; it's upsetting and probably futile to wonder about his mentality in those final months.

Bryan's untimely passing is a reminder of our own mortality and the fragility of our place in the world. I was as guilty as the next man of being obsessed with my hair and appearance. But as this tragic event shows, there are bigger concerns in life than hair loss. Sometimes we need a bit of perspective.

Blake tells us that Bryan had no wife or children to remember him (although he did have some impressive family connections). But he leaves behind a legacy of an archive of thousands of posts on this and other forums, which are a treasure trove of information and advice for anyone suffering from (or simply researching) hair loss and wondering about treatments. As it says on the Christopher Wren memorial - "Reader, if you seek his monument - look around you".

Last edited:

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
"Bryan's untimely passing is a reminder of our own mortality and the fragility of our place in the world. I was as guilty as the next man of being obsessed with my hair and appearance. But as this tragic event shows, there are bigger concerns in life than hair loss. Sometimes we need a bit of perspective."

LECTOR SI MONUMENTUM REQUIRIS CIRCUMSPICE

+1, but we need know why we loss the hair......, possibly the best kept secret

Last edited:

lostlife

Reaction score
It does not matter what age a man is der29 men want and need their hair for inner peace and to help lead a happy healthy life in my opinion

Chujgcha

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I clicked this thread thinking I would find Bryan's latest advice for treating hair loss. I'm shocked to hear about his passing. He did a lot of good on this website. I didn't know he wasn't a scientist by profession. Fooled me. Still I would trust his advice over any Derm.

Fermat

Reaction score
I've only been reading these forums for a little while but I have seen so many good posts from Bryan supported by nothing but facts, evidence and statistics. I also saw him kicking sense into people on Acne.org many times over. It was through him that I learnt sebum production does not change with the amount you wash your face, or what you wash it with, despite the illusion that it does. Strange thing though... He knew so much about propecia and was an advocate of it being relatively safe and effective yet never used it himself for his own male pattern baldness.