Bryan, or anyone, testosterone questions...

kevinme

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Bertie said:
Proctor on alt.baldspot said:
When the hairline on the side ( ie., your sideburns and just above ) gets straight up and down and receeds more than 4 cm lateral to the eye, you will probably not get any balder, tho you may continue to experience continuing diffuse loss.

Before this happens, it is difficult to predict, except to say that if you start getting "beard hair" up into the triangle of hair coming out just above your eye, you are likely to get balder. "Beard Hair" is that krinkly stuff that grows in your beard.

Clap-clap-clap-clap-clap-clap-clap-clap-clap

Bertie said:
I'm not sure that I'm correctly visualizing what Proctor is saying here, though. Today I'll make sure to look at some bald people closely like he recommended in some of the other "triangle" posts to see if I can get it.

It's very simple, really. Look at that area of hair on the side that runs from your ears up to the top of your scalp (it includes the "sideburn" area). Now look at the front edge of that area of hair: you'll notice that on most guys, you can see that it's not a STRAIGHT LINE all the way from the ears to the top of your scalp, but there's a smallish area about an inch or so above the top of your ears where the hair juts forward a little bit. It forms sort of a little "triangle" of hair about the size of a nickle, or maybe a quarter in some guys. THAT is what we're talking about! :)

If you have a very pronounced "triangle" of hair there, instead of having a vertical hairline that runs straight up and down, then you're in for some additional balding (according to this theory). If it IS straight up and down and the triangle of hair has faded away over the years, then your balding is probably mostly stabilized.

Interesting theory/observation, isn't it?

Bryan

Actually, I see this "triangle" develop more and more. Guess I'm fucked.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you mean, you see the triangle "develop more and more"?

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Bertie said:
Proctor on alt.baldspot said:
When the hairline on the side ( ie., your sideburns and just above ) gets straight up and down and receeds more than 4 cm lateral to the eye, you will probably not get any balder, tho you may continue to experience continuing diffuse loss.

Before this happens, it is difficult to predict, except to say that if you start getting "beard hair" up into the triangle of hair coming out just above your eye, you are likely to get balder. "Beard Hair" is that krinkly stuff that grows in your beard.

Clap-clap-clap-clap-clap-clap-clap-clap-clap

Bertie said:
I'm not sure that I'm correctly visualizing what Proctor is saying here, though. Today I'll make sure to look at some bald people closely like he recommended in some of the other "triangle" posts to see if I can get it.

It's very simple, really. Look at that area of hair on the side that runs from your ears up to the top of your scalp (it includes the "sideburn" area). Now look at the front edge of that area of hair: you'll notice that on most guys, you can see that it's not a STRAIGHT LINE all the way from the ears to the top of your scalp, but there's a smallish area about an inch or so above the top of your ears where the hair juts forward a little bit. It forms sort of a little "triangle" of hair about the size of a nickle, or maybe a quarter in some guys. THAT is what we're talking about! :)

If you have a very pronounced "triangle" of hair there, instead of having a vertical hairline that runs straight up and down, then you're in for some additional balding (according to this theory). If it IS straight up and down and the triangle of hair has faded away over the years, then your balding is probably mostly stabilized.

Well, that's probably because a more pronounced "triangle" is indicative of a fuller head of hair to begin with, whereas its absence probably means the individual has less hair left lose. :wink:

kevinme said:
Actually, I see this "triangle" develop more and more. Guess I'm fucked.

You're probably looking at your temples. That's not what he's referring to.

G

Bryan said:
What do you mean, you see the triangle "develop more and more"?

Bryan, here's a pic of my hair:

jaymanjayra3.jpg

Is that triangle on the left(my right, but your left from the way you're viewing the picture) the triangle that you are referring to? mine is visible. does this mean that i am going to bald more according to proctor's theory? i mean the triangle isn't very noticeable except when the hair is very short and even then it's not super noticeable. does this mean i'm near done with balding?

And I assume you are referring to the area I pointed at with the black arrow? I wanted to arrow both so if I'm wrong you can say it's the red one instead. The red one is just my temple. Do you think my right temple recession will get worse? Thanks.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
dude...you have the triangle...but i mean its just a theory...it doesnt mean much...ive seen middle aged men with that triangle with full heads of hair.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
Is that triangle on the left(my right, but your left from the way you're viewing the picture) the triangle that you are referring to?

Yep, that's the one I'm referring to. The one being pointed to by the black arrow.

JayMan said:
mine is visible. does this mean that i am going to bald more according to proctor's theory?

Well, yes, according to the theory, you would be susceptible to further balding. Fortunately, though, you're on a good regimen! :wink:

JayMan said:
i mean the triangle isn't very noticeable except when the hair is very short and even then it's not super noticeable. does this mean i'm near done with balding?

The triangle is kind of hazy in that picture, and I can't really get much of a bead on it. Not sure how to answer your question.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow said:
dude...you have the triangle...but i mean its just a theory...it doesnt mean much...ive seen middle aged men with that triangle with full heads of hair.

Yes, but that's no different from simply saying "Don't worry, some men never go bald". The point here is that if you ARE indeed balding, then the "triangle" theory gives an estimate of how far you are into that process, and much farther you have to go.

Bryan

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Bryan said:

Yes, but that's no different from simply saying "Don't worry, some men never go bald". The point here is that if you ARE indeed balding, then the "triangle" theory gives an estimate of how far you are into that process, and much farther you have to go.

Bryan

Just out of curiosity do you subscribe to this theory?

G

Bryan said:

Bryan

I see what you are saying. So how do you estimate in general how much balding you have left based on the triangle? If it's a sharp triangle does it mean you have a lot left to lose? That's what's confusing me.

I know you said it's kinda hazy so I drew the outline for you of where it is:

jaymanjayze2.jpg

According to this theory, will I bald until the hair there runs straight up and down? Like just the triangles will recede, or more?

thanks

abcdefg

Reaction score
Im not sure about this mathematical triangle business, but Brian would you say with the testosterone increase its safe to take propecia to prevent hairloss? That extra testosterone has always made me nervous. I have little male pattern baldness and still luckily have a lot of hair left, but I want to keep as much of it as long as I can.

evildude

Established Member
Reaction score
Back to the original topic. so no one knows how big the testosterone increase on finasteride really is and coupled with the upregulation of androgen receptors, could that, in some, lead to further loss?