Broccoli, Cauliflower May Help Cut Prostate Cancer

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
CHL24 said:
interesting frailstar, is there any chance you could post a typical days diet of your's ?

(this is just purely out of my interest in different 'diets' not male pattern baldness related :)

Thanks

Here is what I had today. I don't eat breakfast, I eat early lunches but this is because I don't wake up until 10:00 AM. I'm a night person so you should adapt this to who you are.

Lunch: Lemon Thyme Couscous, Orange Juice, Tomato & Onion, Green Tea
Dinner: Baby Lima Beans, Fried Breaded Squash, Melon, Coleslaw, Oat Squares Cereal in Soy Milk
Supper (late meal): Cocoa Banana Smoothie, Broccoli, Green Apple, Green Tea

The servings I had were large, for instance the tomatoes and onions were 1 1/2 cups of vegetables. I eat large servings of everything. If you are interested in my diet I suggest you read The China Study by T. Colin Campbell.

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
retropunk said:
failstar said:
It's not enough to to be vegan, you must actually adopt an eastern diet. Again in theory. But we do know that this reverses heart disease. It's not a theory. Would you like to see an example of someone who was a junk food vegetarian (I ate dairy and eggs but not meat) and became vegan (very traditional eastern vegan diet)?

I've never contested that lowering your cholesterol can lead to a healthier life. Why do you keep misreading people's comments? You lost weight! Good! It usually happens when you stop eating at McDs or some other fast food place.

frailstar said:
Anyway, I shall find out. I became vegan in Jan of this year. So far I've only noticed small, random hairs growing on my temples and it's nothing to write home about. Complete reversal would probably take years through diet, just like for coronary heart disease.

You're also taking Rogaine and the Hair Comb, which I'll believe more than changing your diet from a 'Westernized' diet to a vegan diet. I'm much more inclined to believe someone with an unhealthy diet with respect to vitamin deficiencies, but if you succeed with your diet and gain all your hair back, you should sell it and become the "Hair Club for Vegans" guru. :hairy:

There's others that are complete chrome domes that are strict vegans. I don't know the eccentricities of different bald vegan's diets. Whether it's Moby, Ghandi, Sy Sperling, or some bald Buddhist, they're bald and they probably have a much lower cholesterol level than the average person who is bald.

In any case, good luck.

Again, your facts are wrong. Ghandi wasn't a true vegan and it's doubtful he was even vegetarian. He would say he did not eat flesh, but we can't say about the dairy and eggs. He also had admitted that he ate meat but hid this fact from his parents because they disapproved. Please read this article, it explains. http://unreasonable.org/wrapper/ar/Gandhi.html

So we can safely mark Ghandi off the list of "strict vegans". Also you say bald Buddhist, Monastic Buddhist shave their heads to forgo the material world, that's hardly male pattern baldness. Haven't done research on Sy Sperling yet but so far you haven't given me a name that I haven't been able to cross off.

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
frailstar said:
So we can safely mark Ghandi off the list of "strict vegans". Also you say bald Buddhist, Monastic Buddhist shave their heads to forgo the material world, that's hardly male pattern baldness. Haven't done research on Sy Sperling yet but so far you haven't given me a name that I haven't been able to cross off.

I'm quite aware that some Buddhists shave their heads. I didn't say 'shaved' or 'buzzed.' I said bald.

You can safely mark off anyone you want. It doesn't change the fact that all of these bald vegans, vegetarians, flexitarians, or whatever, have much lower cholesterol levels than the average Westerner who's eating red meat. Yet, they are still chrome domes.

If you think your vegan diet is going to restore your hair, go for it. Even if it doesn't work, you're at least healthy, which is more than can be said about some people.

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
retropunk said:
frailstar said:

I'm quite aware that some Buddhists shave their heads. I didn't say 'shaved' or 'buzzed.' I said bald.

You can safely mark off anyone you want. It doesn't change the fact that all of these bald vegans, vegetarians, flexitarians, or whatever, have much lower cholesterol levels than the average Westerner who's eating red meat. Yet, they are still chrome domes.

If you think your vegan diet is going to restore your hair, go for it. Even if it doesn't work, you're at least healthy, which is more than can be said about some people.

You're just throwing out the idea that slick bald vegans exist. Where are all these slick bald vegans you speak of? Atlantis? You saying it, and it being so, isn't the same thing.

Some interesting articles that give weight to my theory that it's total cholesterol in the blood that is causing male pattern baldness below. None of the articles say this but it's also my theory that the over abundance of cholesterol causes the over abundance of DHT, which leads to prostate cancer as well as male pattern baldness. The cholesterol obviously effects heart health. This is why the connection can be made to diet. Asians have lower cholesterol in their blood than Westerners, if they are on a traditional eastern diet, soon as they go off it and take on a western diet male pattern baldness goes up, heart disease and prostate cancer as well. That's not airy fairy dream science, the data backs me up. It's as simple as that. How science has not put this together as of yet, is beyond me.

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/ab ... 02.02036.x

http://www.clinsci.org/cs/100/0401/cs1000401.htm

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
retropunk said:
frailstar said:

Woops, actually you were RIGHT about Moby. It kills me to say this. But I did further research on Moby and atleast these days he eats healthy or an interview in 2001 he talks about what he eats and it sounds pretty healthy. Although I do have a tape with an interview of him back in 96 where he talks about not being the healthiest vegan. B then people lie, it's not very scientific to find examples in pop culture. lol He could be broiling ribs in a back room as we speak. How would we know?

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
frailstar said:
retropunk said:
frailstar said:

Woops, actually you were RIGHT about Moby. It kills me to say this. But I did further research on Moby and atleast these days he eats healthy or an interview in 2001 he talks about what he eats and it sounds pretty healthy. Although I do have a tape with an interview of him back in 96 where he talks about not being the healthiest vegan. B then people lie, it's not very scientific to find examples in pop culture. lol He could be broiling ribs in a back room as we speak. How would we know?

But he did say he ate those horrible soy meat alternatives and they are WORSE than dairy, they can raise your IGF 1 levels way more than milk. So there still may be something to my eastern diet theory. Those soy meat prepackaged burger deals are so western and bad for you.

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting! This whole Moby thing has got my brain fired up. Could the reason that vegans of the west are still bald is high IGF 1 levels from eating all those prepackaged soy isolate products? Considering that they are worse than milk, why not? In fact it could be that they actually accelerate their male pattern baldness with their diet! I'm on to something here. I found these facts.

China is virtually dairy-free, since most Chinese are lactose intolerant

A 1990 Stanford University study reported that IGF-1 promotes the growth of prostate cells, too. And, in 1997 international researchers reported further epidemiological evidence that IGF-1 levels correlate to prostate cancer risk.

Question I'm working on....

Does high IGF-1 levels cause cholesterol levels to go up?

Oh yes, I'm retracting my earlier statement that Moby has a healthy vegan diet, he doesn't.

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
I always thought IGF-1 prolonged the anagen phase, and those with IGF-1 deficiency usually have thin, wispy hair.

I wouldn't doubt high IGF-1 levels could lead to hair loss, but I haven't seen anything stating that lowering IGF-1 below normal levels will increase or benefit hair. I have heard that this is the case from here, but I haven't seen any links to abstracts or other forms of data.

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
retropunk said:
I always thought IGF-1 prolonged the anagen phase, and those with IGF-1 deficiency usually have thin, wispy hair.

I wouldn't doubt high IGF-1 levels could lead to hair loss, but I haven't seen anything stating that lowering IGF-1 below normal levels will increase or benefit hair. I have heard that this is the case from here, but I haven't seen any links to abstracts or other forms of data.

Why would we need to lower IGF-1 levels from normal? We wouldn't, just simply bring them to that of the Chinese, and the only way to do that is to adopt their diet. Normal IGF-1 levels would be defined by the Chinese, I'll have what they're having! lol

Countries that consume the most milk have the highest in rate of male pattern baldness and prostate cancer? The Chinese don't touch dairy and have the lowest male pattern baldness rates and prostate cancer rates. Do you see the connection? Both two very good cases for why it's DAIRY that is causing male pattern baldness. Doesn't that match up with my theory perfectly? And doesn't it explain the slick bald vegans of the west? It's high IGF-1 levels from milk or isolated soy!

I know nothing about finasteride but how exactly does it fight prostate cancer? Does it bring IGF-1 levels down? What does this stuff do? Someone educate me. Would be great if it lowered IGF-1 levels and that's how it grew hair back. Then we would know for sure that it's diet related. Like I need more evidence, the jury is out for me!

And yes, there's no data on it. But that's just cause no one's put it all together. I have.

docj077

Reaction score
frailstar said:
retropunk said:

Why would we need to lower IGF-1 levels from normal? We wouldn't, just simply bring them to that of the Chinese, and the only way to do that is to adopt their diet. Normal IGF-1 levels would be defined by the Chinese, I'll have what they're having! lol

Countries that consume the most milk have the highest in rate of male pattern baldness and prostate cancer? The Chinese don't touch dairy and have the lowest male pattern baldness rates and prostate cancer rates. Do you see the connection? Both two very good cases for why it's DAIRY that is causing male pattern baldness. Doesn't that match up with my theory perfectly? And doesn't it explain the slick bald vegans of the west? It's high IGF-1 levels from milk or isolated soy!

I know nothing about finasteride but how exactly does it fight prostate cancer? Does it bring IGF-1 levels down? What does this stuff do? Someone educate me. Would be great if it lowered IGF-1 levels and that's how it grew hair back. Then we would know for sure that it's diet related. Like I need more evidence, the jury is out for me!

And yes, there's no data on it. But that's just cause no one's put it all together. I have.

finasteride. raises IGF-1 levels in the scalp. I do not believe that a study has ever been done with regards to its effects systemically on IGF-1.

You DO NOT have to drink milk to raise your IGF-1 levels. Any product that spikes your glucose, and thus, your insulin levels will increase growth hormone production leading to an increase in IGF-1 production.

For that very reason, your common vegan diet is probably worse for you when it comes to male pattern baldness. Vegan diets are typically incredibly high in carbohydrates due to all the pastas.

Prostate cancer has numerous causes, so it's not simply limited to an increase in serum IGF-1. A major cause is mutation...especially, of the androgen receptor and other receptors. It's pretty tough for a cell to not grow when the response that is normally reserved for DHT happens with testosterone, as well, due to a mutation that causes testosterone to have just as powerful of a molecular influence.

I'm in the clinic pretty much everyday. The majority of men that are bald or balding typically have normal lipid panels, which means that they have normal cholesterol levels. Otherwise, they are on medications to control their cholesterol levels, which means that they either have average or low cholesterol levels.

"The more cholesterol means more sex hormones theory" is good on paper, but not in practice. Too many enzymes are involved with a lot of feedback mechanisms keeping everything in check.

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
frailstar said:
retropunk said:

finasteride. raises IGF-1 levels in the scalp. I do not believe that a study has ever been done with regards to its effects systemically on IGF-1.

You DO NOT have to drink milk to raise your IGF-1 levels. Any product that spikes your glucose, and thus, your insulin levels will increase growth hormone production leading to an increase in IGF-1 production.

For that very reason, your common vegan diet is probably worse for you when it comes to male pattern baldness. Vegan diets are typically incredibly high in carbohydrates due to all the pastas.

Prostate cancer has numerous causes, so it's not simply limited to an increase in serum IGF-1. A major cause is mutation...especially, of the androgen receptor and other receptors. It's pretty tough for a cell to not grow when the response that is normally reserved for DHT happens with testosterone, as well, due to a mutation that causes testosterone to have just as powerful of a molecular influence.

I'm in the clinic pretty much everyday. The majority of men that are bald or balding typically have normal lipid panels, which means that they have normal cholesterol levels. Otherwise, they are on medications to control their cholesterol levels, which means that they either have average or low cholesterol levels.

"The more cholesterol means more sex hormones theory" is good on paper, but not in practice. Too many enzymes are involved with a lot of feedback mechanisms keeping everything in check.

Are you saying that you don't think there is a connection between cancer and dairy consumption!?

docj077

Reaction score
frailstar said:
docj077 said:
frailstar said:
retropunk said:

Are you saying that you don't think there is a connection between cancer and dairy consumption!?

Loose association at best. Increased IGF-1 may be "pro-growth" for many cell types, but you still need mutation to maintain that growth in the absence of a stimulatory signal. Cancers that run in families like breast cancer, colon cancer, ovarian cancer, and prostate cancer are usually due to poor genetics from birth and a higher than normal ability for environmental influences to tip the cellular balance toward malignancy. Not simply a poor diet.

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
frailstar said:
docj077 said:
frailstar said:
retropunk said:

Loose association at best. Increased IGF-1 may be "pro-growth" for many cell types, but you still need mutation to maintain that growth in the absence of a stimulatory signal. Cancers that run in families like breast cancer, colon cancer, ovarian cancer, and prostate cancer are usually due to poor genetics from birth and a higher than normal ability for environmental influences to tip the cellular balance toward malignancy. Not simply a poor diet.

Ok, now I realize who I'm dealing with. If you haven't made the leap to understanding that diet plays a major role in cancer than I don't know how I can reason with you. Have you read The China Study? Are you familiar with the largest study ever conducted on nutrition? You work in a lab and study cancer, you should know this study.

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
If finasteride raises IFG-1 levels wouldn't that be bad for cancer? Would that not make the prostate cancer grow, you say it wouldn't cause it, but wouldn't it make it grow?

Also, you say that the majority of men that have male pattern baldness have low to average cholesterol. But it's well documented that those with male pattern baldness are more likely to suffer from heart disease. How are you seeing the opposite? How can you have heart disease without having high cholesterol?

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
frailstar said:
retropunk said:

You're wrong about the milk, other things might spike IGF-1 but nothing will spike it like milk and animal proteins. Do a simple search at google and ask what foods spike IGF-1 levels the worst, and milk and animal proteins will come up as your number 1 answer every time.

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
frailstar said:
You're wrong about the milk, other things might spike IGF-1 but nothing will spike it like milk and animal proteins. Do a simple search at google and ask what foods spike IGF-1 levels the worst, and milk and animal proteins will come up as your number 1 answer every time.

I'm beginning to think you're a troll.

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
retropunk said:
frailstar said:

I'm beginning to think you're a troll.

And why would that be?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
MB have you tried Tom's scalp exercise?