Broccoli, Cauliflower May Help Cut Prostate Cancer

michael barry

Reaction score
Here is an article from hairloss-reversible about broccohli and hair:

"Vegetables such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale, and cauliflower produce a chemical when being digested that inhibits the action of dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Leonard Bjeldanes, professor of nutritional science at UC Berkeley, and Gary Firestone, professor of molecular biology at the same institution, have been researching the anti-cancer properties of plant chemicals (phytochemicals). They found that vegetables such as broccoli and Brussels sprouts are rich in an indole called I3C. An indole is a decomposition product of proteins. The body converts this indole into diindolylmethane or simply DIM during digestion.

Further research confirmed that this DIM inhibits the action of DHT. It does this by binding to the same receptors within the cell that DHT uses. DHT, as I’m sure most visitors to this site are aware of, is involved in male pattern baldness. The research that Bjeldanes and Firestone are doing is mostly centered on prostate cancer and the proliferation of cancer cells, but Dr. Bjeldanes in an email to me wrote that he is now requesting funding to do research on male pattern baldness.

The reason that I stress the importance of getting nutrients from real food instead of from pills is that there are many unidentified nutritional factors in food, especially in fruits and vegetables. These phytochemicals that one doesn’t get in pills may provide a great health benefit.

There is nothing conclusive yet in the research of Bjeldanes and Firestone indicating that broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables will benefit the hair follicles, but I loaded up on broccoli at the market today just in case. By the way, the best way to cook broccoli and other vegetables is to steam them. Boiling vegetables destroys over half the nutrients; steaming destroys hardly any."

BH 90 NWtwo 10

Established Member
Reaction score
so im thinking 1 blended morning shake of say brocoli coleflower and tomato juice every day? might that do something for our hair aside from turnin us into super healthy humans?

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, it might do something for hair loss even though I'm not sure where the tomato juice came from..lol.

After reading michael's and liquids posts I decided to buy Now Foods, Indole-3-Carbinol with Flax Lignans.

I did some quick research on the additions to the I3C and found that it also contains LinumLife Complex which can help thinning hair according to what I found.

I also don't want to completely disregard what the poster said about eating the vegetables directly, but I really don't have time to cook for myself, so this is my best option.

BH 90 NWtwo 10

Established Member
Reaction score
haha tomato juice came becasue it can help mask the flavor of brocali which would be pretty nasty, but if u do a little research youl usee that blending the raw foods into a veggie shake is actually BETTER then just EATING THEM becasue there already liquified and the "vitamins and goodness" have been released and are easier to digest, eg u digest more of them. wish me luck on this guys, i live not to far from an all organic produce store im going to try a morning brocoli colliflour tomato juice shake each morning, if i can get the courage that is

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that drinking tomato juice can lower TGF-Beta1. So could be good for the hair... but I can't seem to find the study anywhere

blandflabbis

Reaction score
BH 90 NWtwo 10 said:
so im thinking 1 blended morning shake of say brocoli coleflower and tomato juice every day? might that do something for our hair aside from turnin us into super healthy humans?

I have to say, that sounds absolutely horrendous, maybe a soup would be better? I can't be the only one who gets a little nauseous at the idea of drinking a broccoli and cauliflower shake. :x

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm very interested in diet and male pattern baldness. Seems to me that if you lower your cholesterol in your blood you automatically lower your DHT, because DHT needs cholesterol. Without it it doesn't exist. Japanese and their very unique eastern diet (until after World War 2) eat/ate tons of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and bits of soy (not soy isolate). After World War 2 their diet changed to a more western diet, they started developing male pattern baldness too. I say this change can be explained by total cholesterol in their blood. Vegetables and fruits sweep away cholesterol. Asians that eat a traditional eastern diet have very low total cholesterol in their blood compared to people in Europe and America. This is why a connection is found in heart diseease, prostate cancer and male pattern baldness. It's the cholesterol in the blood causing all 3.

docj077

Reaction score
frailstar said:
I'm very interested in diet and male pattern baldness. Seems to me that if you lower your cholesterol in your blood you automatically lower your DHT, because DHT needs cholesterol. Without it it doesn't exist. Japanese and their very unique eastern diet (until after World War 2) eat/ate tons of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and bits of soy (not soy isolate). After World War 2 their diet changed to a more western diet, they started developing male pattern baldness too. I say this change can be explained by total cholesterol in their blood. Vegetables and fruits sweep away cholesterol. Asians that eat a traditional eastern diet have very low total cholesterol in their blood compared to people in Europe and America. This is why a connection is found in heart diseease, prostate cancer and male pattern baldness. It's the cholesterol in the blood causing all 3.

This makes sense on paper, but not in the real world. I see younger men with unbelievable low cholesterol levels due to statins in the clinic all the time and they are still balding. Your body makes cholesterol whether you change or diet or you take medication. It needs it to make cell membranes and other molecules like sex hormones.

Also, the percent of individuals with male pattern baldness in Asian countries is far higher than people might think. It was fairly high before those countries were westernized and it likely increased as a result of the influx of western genes during various stages of human history including WWII.

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
frailstar said:

This makes sense on paper, but not in the real world. I see younger men with unbelievable low cholesterol levels due to statins in the clinic all the time and they are still balding. Your body makes cholesterol whether you change or diet or you take medication. It needs it to make cell membranes and other molecules like sex hormones.

Also, the percent of individuals with male pattern baldness in Asian countries is far higher than people might think. It was fairly high before those countries were westernized and it likely increased as a result of the influx of western genes during various stages of human history including WWII.

What is low cholesterol to you? I define it as anything less than 180 mg/dL. How young were these men you speak of? I'm not suggesting that your body could stop making cholesterol all together, that's insane. I'm suggesting that if we bring our cholesterol levels down to very low levels, ie. 180, we could slow male pattern baldness down so slow that you'd be 75 before you went bald. As we know, if someone with heart disease could lower their blood cholesterol down to 180 than it would give them virtual immunity from heart disease. Also, are you suggesting that a vegan, whole foods diet does not bring your cholesterol levels way down and prevent / reverse heart disease?

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
frailstar said:

But, what is the data of asians who develop male pattern baldness now? Can we even find that info somewhere, it would be interesting to see and compare to the US. And it wouldn't be enough to look at that, we'd have to know if the people in Asia who did develop male pattern baldness had a diet in which they consumed meat and diary which causes heart disease and prosate cancer...

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
frailstar said:
Also, are you suggesting that a vegan, whole foods diet does not bring your cholesterol levels way down and prevent / reverse heart disease?

Selective reading, eh?

IBM

Reaction score
But one think i see is that there are lot more bald men in UK then in Korea or Japan. I dare to say that UK is land of bald men.

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
IBM said:
But one think i see is that there are lot more bald men in UK then in Korea or Japan. I dare to say that UK is land of bald men.

Yes, there has to be a connection between their diet and ours. I know it seems too obvious to believe. However, there isn't enough information on this to really make my case. All I have is The China Study which proves without a shadow of a doubt that heart disease and cancer are related to diet, regardless of genetic factors. I wish I could get in touch with T. Colin Campbell and ask him what he thinks about the connection. I wonder if he observed or remembers observing male pattern baldness when he was doing his study.

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
retropunk said:
frailstar said:
Also, are you suggesting that a vegan, whole foods diet does not bring your cholesterol levels way down and prevent / reverse heart disease?

Selective reading, eh?

What do you mean by that?

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
frailstar said:
retropunk said:
frailstar said:

Selective reading, eh?

There was nothing in his post to suggest such a comment. He only suggested that low cholesterol levels != a cessation of balding.

A good example of this is Richard Melville Hall aka Moby.

frailstar

Established Member
Reaction score
retropunk said:
frailstar said:
retropunk said:
frailstar said:

Selective reading, eh?

There was nothing in his post to suggest such a comment. He only suggested that low cholesterol levels != a cessation of balding.

A good example of this is Richard Melville Hall aka Moby.

No Moby is not a good example. If you've read interviews with him, when he talks about being vegan he admits his diet is terrible. He is what is known as a "junk food vegan". Doritos w/ Coffee and white processed flour donuts does not equal a typical eastern diet. It's not enough to get rid of dairy and meat. If you aren't actually eating vegetables, fruits and legumes than how can they sweep your blood of cholesterol? Moby is a very good example, of yet again, a very western way of doing things. He's vegan because he's an animal rights activist, not for health reasons. It's not enough to to be vegan, you must actually adopt an eastern diet. Again in theory. But we do know that this reverses heart disease. It's not a theory. Would you like to see an example of someone who was a junk food vegetarian (I ate dairy and eggs but not meat) and became vegan (very traditional eastern vegan diet)? I was 200 pounds 4 years ago and had a 44 inch waist, was over 30 percent body fat. I now weigh 140 (I'm 5' 8" by the way), am 10 percent body fat and have a 30 inch waist, feel like a million bucks. Before my vegan eastern diet shift I felt dead inside and could barely bend over to tie my shoes.

Check out my before here: http://www.gypsycharm.com/pics/before.jpg
And now check out how I look today: http://www.gypsycharm.com/pics/skinnyje ... yjean1.jpg

It makes me wonder, even if we figured out that an eastern diet would prevent male pattern baldness, would it reverse the damage already done? It also makes me wonder about the younger men who start Propecia the better it works because there is less damage done by cholesterol on the hair follicle.

Anyway, I shall find out. I became vegan in Jan of this year. So far I've only noticed small, random hairs growing on my temples and it's nothing to write home about. Complete reversal would probably take years through diet, just like for coronary heart disease.

CHL24

Reaction score
interesting frailstar, is there any chance you could post a typical days diet of your's ?

(this is just purely out of my interest in different 'diets' not male pattern baldness related :)

Thanks

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
failstar said:
It's not enough to to be vegan, you must actually adopt an eastern diet. Again in theory. But we do know that this reverses heart disease. It's not a theory. Would you like to see an example of someone who was a junk food vegetarian (I ate dairy and eggs but not meat) and became vegan (very traditional eastern vegan diet)?

I've never contested that lowering your cholesterol can lead to a healthier life. Why do you keep misreading people's comments? You lost weight! Good! It usually happens when you stop eating at McDs or some other fast food place.

frailstar said:
Anyway, I shall find out. I became vegan in Jan of this year. So far I've only noticed small, random hairs growing on my temples and it's nothing to write home about. Complete reversal would probably take years through diet, just like for coronary heart disease.

You're also taking Rogaine and the Hair Comb, which I'll believe more than changing your diet from a 'Westernized' diet to a vegan diet. I'm much more inclined to believe someone with an unhealthy diet with respect to vitamin deficiencies, but if you succeed with your diet and gain all your hair back, you should sell it and become the "Hair Club for Vegans" guru. :hairy:

There's others that are complete chrome domes that are strict vegans. I don't know the eccentricities of different bald vegan's diets. Whether it's Moby, Ghandi, Sy Sperling, or some bald Buddhist, they're bald and they probably have a much lower cholesterol level than the average person who is bald.

In any case, good luck.