Brandnew's Story - NEW PICS pg. 4 (09/20/10)

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score
this is my 3rd time trying finasteride.. we will just see. so you think i should go ahead and jump on the rogaine boat?

Reaction score
From the research I've seen:

1. finasteride is great for maintaining what you already have.
2. minoxidil can potentially regrow your hair.

For you, I would just get on finasteride and stay there. Obviously, you've been messing around with dosages to see what's best for you. Since you are experiencing sides, if I were you I would do .25mg EOD [which is the safest dosage you can do] and see how you tolerate. Expect the usual sides within the first two weeks [achy balls, etc.]. If the sides persist after two weeks at that low of a dosage, I would either speak to my dermatologist about what to expect or cease medication. From what I've read, any sides after two weeks or so is a bad sign.

If you don't experience sides, I would increase the dosage to .5mg EOD, then .5 mg ED, then 1mg ED. It depends on how aggressive you want to maintain your hair, how you respond to the sides, and how to balance the two out Obviously, no one else but you can determine that balance.

From the pictures you show, your hair looks GREAT. If I were you, I would stay on .25mg EOD and increase the dosage if your hair loss increases. I think minoxidil for you is a long way off. From what I've read, try to stay off minoxidil for as long as possible, since if you become minoxidil-dependent then that means your hair will no longer naturally grow on its own but will require minoxidil to grow.

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score
on my 3rd dose of EOD of .25 and my scalp is itching!!! I want to take a cheese grater to my head. is this normal?

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A month into finasteride,even I felt a burning sensation in my scalp followed by shedding.I dont know whether it was finasteride or due to my hair getting wet in the rain with minoxidil on.Anyway I used Nizoral continuously for 4 days and the itch went away.

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score
could you give a timeline with your sides from finasteride once you started your .25 EOD dose? What did you experience? Thank you!